Anyone know what makes DELI tuna & chicken salad special?

I put fruit into Coronation Chicken salad, and Whole Foods makes a Sonoma Chicken Salad that contains grapes. I used to love the Jamaican curried chicken salad at a deli I used to frequent, which contained pineapple. I like pineapple, mangoes, apple or grapes in curried chicken salads.

I don’t put fruit in my ordinary chicken salad for sandwiches, but I do like Coronation Chicken sandwiches a lot.

1 Like

I am certain I would love that pate’. Sounds awesome to me with the cream cheese and basil. Would be wonderful on Triscuit crackers. My grandmother would make a delicious pasta sauce when I was a kid. Have not had any since. She used this can below as the base instead of making it from scratch like she did in Sicily. I think it was called Pasta Con Sarde but not certain. She may have also added cloves to her sauce besides this. I just know I could taste the fennel for sure and the sardine flavor.
Oh and thanks to the others who chimed in too : )

2 Likes

Thanks, interesting. I don’t think I’ve tried Coronation Chicken Salad and had to look it up. Going to give it a whirl next time I have some mango chutney on hand.

1 Like

I have definitely used fine julienned honeycrisp apples in both tuna and chicken salad. Cuts down on some of the other sweet components (vinegar, relish), and provides a fresh taste and crunch.

I shred my chicken/tuna while mixing in the other ingredients using a paddle in a small 3qt bowl on my stand mixer. Works really well getting the courser texture I like.

2 Likes

I’ve seen it done as a variation on a Waldorf type salad, but with chicken - apples, celery, grapes, walnuts, and chicken, bound by some mayo. Not horrible, but also not for everyone.

I don’t take chicken to a finely ground/powder stage for salads; I prefer more of a pulled chicken consistency. But for krab salad with surimi, I do like to pulverize it in a food processor with scallions before binding it with mayo.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve done it -fresh pineapple and a little curry powder with the celery and onions and mayo And maybe some sliced almonds. I think the 70s are calling me.

2 Likes

Served in an avocado half, or pineapple half, for parties!

1 Like

Avocado- I’ll take it!

1 Like

I make a curried chicken salad that includes raisins, preferably golden.

3 Likes

House chicken salad = diced chicken breast, red onion, halved grapes, cubed skin-on apples, mayo, curry powder. eta Sharwood’s curry powder.

3 Likes

This makes the traditional Pasta di San Giuseppe. I make it every St Jospeh’s Day. It is one of our all-time favorites. Here’s my post from this year’s rendition (there’s probably one from each of the years I’ve been posting here)

1 Like

Ah never heard or knew of that pasta dish. Has breadcrumbs I see. Interesting. The one my grandmother would make was a red sauce with that can of CUOCO added. Could be an additional ingredient or two, but I only know for certain it was red and she used that yellow can. She always had like 4 or 5 of those cans at all times in her cabinets. I also remember seeing these BLACK in color large balls like big peppercorns but the size of peas and they were soft. Not sure what those were LOL.

Yes, breadcrumbs are the traditional topping. The owner of the little deli where I make my St Jospeh’s Day shopping pilgrimage each year always quizzes me on the meaning of the bread crumbs - they are supposed to represent sawdust as Joseph was a carpenter. Then he tells me what a good Sicilian I am though I am far from Sicilian or even any sort of Italian.

The black balls are likely raisins.

1 Like

I sometimes put fruit in chicken salad - apples, raisins, sometimes walnuts with curried mayo. Chicken salad “Veronique” with green grapes, celery, mayo and tarragon. I usually use chopped chicken breast for chicken salad. We also really like thickly sliced cooked chicken breast with some coarse sea salt and a generous amount of mayo on bread by itself. I have had ground chicken salad I remember liking and thinking it was made with both white and dark meat put through a grinder with celery, pickles and ?? But the hostess wouldn’t tell me how she made it - a “family” recipe. Oh well.

2 Likes

I’ve had smoked turkey salad that has reconstituted dried cranberries in it, plus a lot of crunchy stuff, including carrots.

That’s a new one! But, I always put raw ground carrots in my ham salad!!

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Most likely could have been raisins. I will never know for sure. I don’t use too much breadcrumbs in general. Only for coating chicken at times or to top macaroni & cheese. I never made meatballs, because I ate so much home cooked Italian food growing up that I am actually sick of most of it. Very rarely eat any type of pasta anymore. Never get tired of pizza though lol.

1 Like

I’m with you. I don’t care for cubed, either, as it doesn’t grab the dressing very well.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Those black balls were also possibly juniper berries.

2 Likes