Anyone know what makes DELI tuna & chicken salad special?

I didn’t mean that you were using albacore. I meant that deli tuna didn’t, and was speaking generally about what goes into a deli tuna salad.

4 Likes

There was an extremely long thread on this on Chowhound. IIRC, no matter what opinions were given on the reason, the original poster could not be satisfied with the answer. But that’s often the nature of such posts. Indeed, heavy duty mayo was one of the most common reasons given.

As for me, when speaking of tuna salad, changes in the brand of mayonnaise & brand/type of tuna make the most difference. When I make tuna for sandwiches, I use a strainer to force out every last drop of broth or oil in the can. I don’t want to taste that at all. But I don’t throw that liquid away and save/use it for stock when making soup or for use when making tuna noodle casserole.

5 Likes

Yes, that thread on CH came to mind first when I saw this one.

2 Likes

Heavy duty mayo is the answer. And the big container, as you note, need not be stored in the fridge if you are careful not to contaminate it. I buy the gallon of Hellman’s HD and scoop some for general use into a smaller jar (that I store in the fridge), then put the large container back in the darkest/coolest cabinet in my kitchen. Never an issue.

Btw, there are many brands of HD mayo available at restaurant stores, but of those that I have tried, Hellman’s is by far the best and the only one that has that “deli” flavor you’re seeking. Also, homemade mayo, even with extra yolks, will not duplicate the flavor.

8 Likes

I thought there was a thread here too, but I couldn’t find it.

2 Likes

This may be the thread on HO:

I was remembering the discussion and knew that it included DoobieWah (or NotDoobieWah), a local poster, but I though it was part of a thread on tuna salad. Hmm. Anyways…

(ETA: we had a big thread on ‘how do you make tuna salad’ I think).

5 Likes

Sounds logical. I will have to buy that HD gallon. I concur that mayo never goes bad without refrigeration unless it gets contaminated. Your system sounds like a great idea. I plan to store it in the basement. In fact I do have a gallon of regular mayonnaise by Hellman’s that has been sitting for over 20 years. Bought it for emergency after that Y2K scare. Wonder how that held up? If it didn’t I can always use it as some type of fuel or fertilizer for the garden LOL.

I agree that it’s the heavy mayo. Wish it were sold in smaller than 1 gallon quantities.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

I buy Wild Planet at Costco, packed in its own juice, very little. The juice is a special treat for my cat.

5 Likes

I used to use Wild Planet skipjack (good stuff), but after discovering Toninno yellowfin (great stuff) that is now my go to. Plus the olive oil it is jarred in is delicious (so I don’t mind if some of it gets in the salad).

It is pricier, but worth it IMHO.

This is a fascinating subject. I had also noticed the difference between the store-bought products and the home-made, but I never gave it any thought. Now I know.

3 Likes

I agree with the extra heavy Hellman’s mayo suggestion and would also suggest more salt than you’d probably consider needed.

2 Likes

Thanks ! This dilemma has been bugging me for decades now. I tried everything I could think of without success. So I will use Heavy Duty Hellman’s for sure. Will also use it in deviled eggs. It’s my favorite way to eat eggs.

1 Like

Please let us know if that actually results in the difference you’re after.

1 Like

I’m curious as to what might be the difference between heavy duty mayo and Kewpie (which uses only yolks). Is there a way to know how many yolks per ounce (or whatever) or % yolk to total weight in each?

1 Like

one difference would be the MSG.

1 Like

I can’t identify that elusive flavor you are looking for. In fact, I can’t think of a supermarket deli tuna or chicken sandwich or potato or macaroni salad that hadn’t some mystery flavor that we disliked. Better at home for us.
I’d like to know or understand this flavor that you are trying to duplicate.

3 Likes

It’s interesting to note that Kewpie made in the US has a different recipe. I’ve never bought it in the US, but buy it here in Japan because Best Foods/Hellman’s is so expensive here. But if it were the same price, I’d buy it because I prefer it.

" Is American Kewpie different?

It’s worth noting that per Bon Appetit:

“a made-in-the-USA formulation of Kewpie, introduced in 2017, is flavored with yeast extract rather than MSG and does include sugar. For the truest Kewpie experience, seek out bottles imported from Japan.”

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/what-is-kewpie#:~:text=It’s%20worth%20noting%20that%20a,out%20bottles%20imported%20from%20Japan.

2 Likes

I’ve tried both (inadvertently) and to be honest the flavor between the two is not that different, at least to my palate. Initially when I went looking for Kewpie, none of the stores near me had any so I ordered some online, not realizing it was the American version. I’ve since found the real version (comes in a large, slightly flimsy container). I liked both of them, though I will say the real stuff was considerably cheaper for a larger bottle than whatever price gouging was happening online with the American version.

1 Like