Anyone know a great recipe for pork butt--maybe Mexican green chili? Or Asian?

Subject Line pretty much says it all.

I can add: I’d kind of like something that could portion into more than one kind of meal with leftovers–say, chili, tacos, enchiladas or any of the Asian prospects.

1 Like

Lechon asado.

In sandwiches, over rice…Cuban perfection!

Yes, it calls for fresh ham, but every Cuban family I know uses pork butt

3 Likes

Momofuku’s bo ssam

Mojo pork

Pork vindaloo

More ideas here

4 Likes

If you prefer leaner char siu, shoulder is a better choice.

2 Likes

Are tomatillos available in France?

Perfect timing! Just me this week, and I am all about the pork.

1 Like

My three very favorite preps are homemade Chile verde, which is versatile to use as a burrito filling, excellent for breakfast topped with eggs, great over rice or even cauliflower rice. Baked enchiladas with either flour or corn tortillas. I usually make a quad batch and mail some frozen quart bags (double bagged) in freezer ziplock bags. I wrap in newspaper and add frozen ice packs and send to my bro. He then proceeds to hide it from everyone else since he loves it so much.

Prep number two is I season VERY generously with garlic salt and adobo seasoning, I use Penzey’s or homemade. Sometimes I add some additional pure chile powder too with the heat level you prefer. I season on both sides and the ends too. I put it in the crockpot on low on a bed of sliced onions, and add no other liquids. I cook for about 8-10 hours. Sometimes I’ll start it on high and then turn to low when it reaches a good simmer. I save the liquids, let cool, skim the fat and freeze to add to chilis or taco soups. The meat is versatile and can be used in so many ways.

Prep number 3 is Kahula pork, which is just basically salt and liquid smoke flavoring. I happen to have some Hawaiian orange salt (coarse) which I use. Again I put it on a bed of onions and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Amazingly good, and so versatile. Makes excellent sliders on Kings Hawaiian rolls, with a little bbq sauce and some medium cheddar cheese. Hope these ideas help. I do skim and save the broth from this too.

If you don’t have a crockpot you could do a very slow oven braise.

5 Likes

Fresh? I haven’t never seen that.

1 Like

My “go to” method for a whole shoulder roast is to season with salt, pepper and garlic slivers, put in roasting pan with an inch of wine/broth, then into a 450°F oven for 15 minutes, then DROP TEMP to 275° and let cook for 6 or so hours. I usually put it in the oven just before going to bed and take it out around 7am. Fork tender, to die for juices. Leftovers can become pulled pork, carnitas, green chili, etc.

For a party, I’ve thrown in 2 or 3. Really easy crowd pleaser.

6 Likes

From a few years ago…

1 Like

Are you cooking indoors or outside? If outside what are you using? This will help me narrow it down a little

1 Like

Thanks. Indoors–indoors in Indiana and February. Also the cut I have is marked “Boston Butt” and doesn’t appear to have significant skin on it, but I haven’t opened it yet to see what’s underneath. Described as "semi-boneless. About 4.5lb…

See lambchops #2. I’ve done them so many ways and here is the easiest method that you cant mess up. The meat flavor will shine through and not be overpowered. It doesn’t get any easier.

Step 1) put a generous amount of adobo and rub it all over the butt.

Step 2) see step one and now put that exact amount on again. Lol (I am serious though.) It will look like you are almost ruining it but don’t worry. The bark gets mixed in with the rest of the meat when pulled.

Step 3) bake at 250 for 8 hours. Put it on at night and wake up to your house smelling like a Puerto rican picnic! You can broil if desired or crank the heat for the last few minutes.

Brining it is always a good call but you don’t have to. They stay juicy and are super hard to overcook.

There is my one ingredient pork butt recipe. Of course you can jazz it up. I like pepper and Dominican oregano on there too. Lime wedges are usually on my plate too.

Ps, you can make chicharron with the fat/skin!

3 Likes

Boston Butt typically does not have skin , just a layer of fat.
If you are serious about fantastic pulled pork , Amazing Rib’s founder, meathead has the best recipe for pulled pork using Boston butt. I typically smoke it but his recipe can also be done indoor. I usually follow his instructions, from trimming off except 1" of fat, leaving 1", dry brining with kosher salt the day before so it can penetrate the meat, then rub it with peanut oil and then his Memphis Dust ( I make a lot of it at a time). I also butterfly the butt so I can use my rub in between
Typically, I smoke it for 14 hours, use 's combination of Stubbs BBQ sauce as well as N Carolina vinegar sauce but it is great unadulterated .
The taste unadorned and unadulterated, hot from the smoker, is unmatched in the culinary world. It is the quintessence of porkdom. Serve it naked, Then, if they wish, a splash of Stubb’s BBQ sauce or North Carolina’s vinegar garlic sauce
I also provide coleslaw for those who like that with a slider potato bun as well but most of t he time, my guests just gather around and pick the meat as I am clawing it.
.Meathead’s book has been credited as top 100 cookbook by Southern Living.
look.
Here is his recipe https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/perfect-pulled-pork-recipe
He also states you can do it indoor if you do not have a smoker.

5 Likes

= shoulder

1 Like

How does Dominican oregano differ from Italian and Mexican varieties ?

Dominican is kind of pungent…maybe skunky? (Or is skunky a term restrcted to the “other” famous herb?:jamaica:)

It’s maybe like comparing a Marlboro medium to a red, or a lighter breakfast blend coffee to medium body one…not much difference but once you acquire a taste for it you can tell slight differences easily. Same goes for liquor/beer imo.

Check this out. I just found it while googling the topic

1 Like

Will post my much used and adapted chile verde recipe with my changes later today. I use no other, I typically brown the chunks of meat but they’re excellent grilled a bit first too.

3 Likes

Would you use Dominican oregano fresh?
I have wondered about trying epazote, if they have it at my Mexican grocer. Never used that before.

I tried this cochinita pibil recipe from serious eats and really enjoyed it, but it was quite a project.

4 Likes