Anyone have experience buying an extra forte copper roasting pan?

Im considering getting one but understand that they can get quite heavy and im looking at around 20 lbs for one and full roasting pan can easily go over 40 lbs. Does anyone have one and can anyone let me know if they regret getting it? Seeing as the benefits of copper aren’t seen as much in the oven as on top of the stove, and a roasting pan doesn’t see much stove top action, I wonder if I should bother. The ones I’ve seen are usually quite old with dovetailing and have tempted me with their history and aesthetics.

My tinned rectangular roaster is 2.7mm, so it’s on the cusp. No regrets, although if I could get the same or greater gauge with a SS lining, I’d prefer that.

The vintage dreadnoughts that go >30 lbs are usually large restaurant or institutional pieces. Make sure your oven is big enough!

I have a large Mauviel that is very heavy. I estimate its thickness around 2mm, it is stainless steel lined. I like it. You can use metal whisks for gravy making and a metal spatula to scrape up fond. It is my only SS lined piece. It only gets used two or three times a year. One of those, the Easter leg of lamb, is almost here.

1 Like

I too only have the 2mm stainless version (and smaller 2.5mm ss oval gratins)… I like the stainless as they can be used at much higher heat to sear in place without fear. The copper pan is my go to for roasted veg, as the copper provides a real nice crust across the pan. The weight and the tin are what prevent me from chasing after the thick copper roasting pan (but I have other shapes in 3mm+ tin lined).

difficult to understand any appreciably difference in a copper vs stainless roasting pan . . .

how/why copper roasting pans existed . . . well, that’s easy - deep drawn stainless / cast aluminum simply did not exist at the time copper roasters were ‘the thing’

1. Cu’s superior conductivity mitigates uneven oven/gaps in elements.

2. Roasting pans get used on the stovetop for, e.g., gravies. SS pans are more prone to hot-spotting.

3. Especially in larger sizes, loaded SS pans are more prone to flex, a safety issue.

1 Like

Too big a hassle to take it down but actually not a bad angle to see the thickness.

Context:

3 Likes