Anybody know what grain this is? Bulgur, spelt, wheatberries, farro, freekeh, cracked wheat, quinoa...

Maybe wheat berries? I’m sure I got them in the bulk side at WinCo, probably quite awhile ago. I needed a grain for my winter squash recipe and wondered if it might work.

It could be farro . Just my guess .

1 Like

That would be awesome !

I’d love to try this one too.

I also have this from DIL

I think that is the same as

But it seems to fine for this recipe.

I found this in the cabinet too.

That one seems better.

And of course

Not a fan.:grimacing:

3 Likes

Pretty sure they’re wheat berries (farro looks shorter to me). I love wheat berries. In my experience, they usually take longer than farro to cook. This reminds me that I’m out of both. Gotta check if my local WF has them available in bulk (bulk foods are just returning to shelves near me; I think Wegman’s got rid of them altogether, which bummed me out).

2 Likes

Wheat berries or farro - both look very similar.

Boulud has a great “farrotto” dish with wild mushrooms - couldn’t find a recipe for it, but this weird page popped up which actually looks pretty tasty, and who knew premiere moisson had recipes.

2 Likes

Thank you! I think I would remember if I bought farro, which sounds exciting. Is it more carb forward?

I’m soaking it overnight, and hope that will afford more clues.

Thanks! I’ve been going with that, mostly. I can imagine buying wheat berries.

1 Like

I have :man_shrugging:t3: but cast a vote for wheat berries, farro, spelt, or fresh Tuesday/Thursday Groundhog Day mussels. Simply splendid.

1 Like

Turkish bulgur wheat, for making Turkish “pilaf”, but there are also other uses/recipes.

I buy many types of grains at Turkish supermarkets and this bulgur wheat is one of my most purchased.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!
@Presunto , are you saying the grain in the bottle in the very first post is also bulgur, or the ones labeled cracked wheat and tane pilavlic bulgur?

Here’s a link from Chow

That article, and one I read in Forbes says
“Farro and wheatberries, it turns out, are very close kin. They’re each the grain of the wheat plant, which has a rough husk and, inside it, what can be imagined like an egg: a shell, called the “bran,” an “endosperm,” playing an egg white-like role, and within the endosperm, a yolk-like “germ” —literally, wheat germ. Farro and wheatberries are each the whole, three-part grain, just from different types of wheat plants. Farro comes from wheat varieties grown in warmer climates, while wheatberries come from colder-weather wheat.”

From motherwouldknow.com

farro-freekeh-and-wheatberries-compared-Mother-Would-Know

1 Like

Spelt too.

Re bulgur - there are different grinds of cracked wheat / bulgur: yours looks whole rather than the coarsest grind. Coarse grinds are used for pilav - as also the whole grain.

Cracked wheat is alo popular in india - for both sweet and savory uses. (Depending on where in the country you are, it can be called lapsi, dalia, faada/fada or a host of other names.)

1 Like

Thank you!

One last link, and then I’ll be quiet until I’ve tried cooking and tasting it.

Here’s one I liked

(Can you edit the title to add the grain names? Might make bookmarking abd finding easier in the future. @naf is that possible?)

1 Like

Good idea!

1 Like

DIL says the fine one is used in falafel, and a desert like halva; Irmak?

I soaked about 12 hours
After soaking

I saw a few things on the internet about toasting in the oven, so I tried that with half of it. It seemed dumb to soak and then dry in the oven, but I did it. I also “toasted” the first batch in the pan before boiling.

Before

After

Side by side

After boiling and sprinkled with salt and olive oil.

Side by side toasted in oven and not. No major difference.

After cooking toasted wheat berries in water. It took at least 45 minutes to al dente, so I don’t think it was farro.
Topping for Kabocha

Final dish

7 Likes