Any tidbits on NYC? 4 day trip or so.

It’s probably my favorite place in the city. We’ve had most of the stuff on the menu, and it’s all good. But the fried oyster po’boy, dressed (!) is my favorite.

The rugelach at zabar’s are another worthy souvenir, just buy day of or day before leaving

There are a bunch of different things to browse at Zabar’s. I haven’t been upstairs in a while. How is their selection of pots and other cooking accessories lately?

Hmmm for dining choices I’ve pretty much think I’m going with

EMP, Del Posto, Hi Collar, Her Name is Han, and Roberta’s for lunch

Jungsik, Torishin, Keen’s and Blanca for dinner. Chef’s Table is full and same goes with ATOmix and I have little desire to be placed on wait list for Chef’s Table since I don’t really want to wear jacket type attire…

Breakfast is going to be wherever I walk around and get to but will definitely try bagels and lox and some other things people have noted. Snacks of thing will not be high priority but more location dependent on where I’m wandering.

Any thoughts?

… well guess I can cross THW out lol

I was just posting about our stay in France and noticed this thread. Sorry I’m too late for the OP’s trip but that wont prevent me from putting in my 2cents (or more) worth on some of the thread’s comments:
1- the reason one should go to Flushing C’town is not for Cantonese (although there are some good ones there). Its for the other regional Chinese places (like Fu Run) and, even more importantly, for the stalls in the food malls. The Golden Mall is still there, as dingy an underground place as it ever was, and is where the 1st Xi’an stall is, the 1st now famous 100 types of Dumplings place is and a bunch of other great little stalls are. And there are at least 5 other food malls that might be worth a day’s sampling before waddling back to another borough
2- in Manhattan C’town, we really like Wu’s and NY Noodletown is still a place to go. But other small storefront places spring up faster than one can try them.
3- Keens over Lugers. And I’m a born and raised 66 year old Brooklynite. Variety, environment and, in my opinion, better in every way other than the Porterhouse & the Lamb Chops… well, and maybe the schlag.
4- if you’re around E. Bushwick, then sure - Roberta’s. But, with so many choices of great pizza in Brooklyn these days, I dont see the need to trek out there for theirs. Although not the stand out anymore that it once was, I’d catch DiFara before its gone if one has the urge to travel to the middle of nowhere (just kidding - I was raised 3 blocks from there & know Dom since I was 14 - &, as I said, I’m in my 60s). In my neighborhood alone (just off Downtown Bklyn) there’s Juliana’s, Table 87, Sottocasa, Lucali and several other really good (& different) pizzas.
5- to keep on top of lots of interesting places, I recommend www.eatingintranslation.com (by Dave Cook, a friend and occasional eating companion) & www.eattheworldnyc.com

1 Like

Oh! Just saw this. Thanks for the info, but it was on my flight leaving haha.

I recall going to the Golden Mall and just wandering around there a few years ago and yeah it was… dingy haha.

In any case, I’ll do a quick run down on the places I went (I might eventually put together a post with pictures…) and … I swear I arrived at the most unfortunate time. The first three nights were thunderstorms with possible tornado alert and flash flood warnings and I almost got run over by an SUV on that first night…

I checked out Jungsik for the first night of dinner and found it to be good but… I dunno, not everything really clicked for me. I think my comparison point thought was Benu in SF so… maybe not the fairest comparison. I went with the Seasonal menu since I thought their chef’s menu seemed to be more of … well… putting in as many fancy sounding ingredients and I normally don’t quite care for that.

The next morning I grabbed some HK style breakfast at Cha Chan Tang since… there were no places open at 7 am around that area. Wandered about through Chelsea market and I thought that place was pretty amazing. Just fun looking at all the vendors and there was indeed quite a long line for Los tacos. Didn’t eat anything though as I went to Del Posto for lunch afterwards and had the prix fixe lunch. Thought they did a good job on most dishes!

After that I definitely needed a walk and went to the highline and wandered up towards Hudson Yards (this place kinda reminds me of Crystals in Las Vegas) and checked out the new little Spain market very awesome place; reminds me of Eataly. Eventually wandered into Keens for the half portion of mutton and a small fillet mignon. I quite enjoyed the mutton and thought it was quite flavorful without that extra gamey taste (probably should have gone full portion and omitted the steak). The fillet was very tender but relatively flavorless (yeah … its not known for flavor haha but I just wanted to give their beef a taste).

Next morning, I checked out Russ and Daughter and grabbed the nova lox with a plain bagel for breakfast. Very good though left a slight fishy taste in my mouth as I was wandering down around the lower east side and then east village. Grabbed a bialy at Kossar’s and thought it was nice and chewy as well. Essex st. market is kinda neat to walk around in though most shops weren’t open around the time I was walking. Eventually went to Hi-Collar for lunch and opted for the omurice with katsu rather than just that sandwich. I thought they did a good job on it. I did try out a drink or two at Existing Conditions and thought they do an excellent job on their cocktails. After more wandering I went to Torishin for dinner and thought they did an excellent job on the yakitori. Wish I could just keep ordering the specialty skewers for the chicken oysters but alas…

The next morning I went out and had another light HK style breakfast at the wee hours in the morning then walked around to see some attractions. I was a little bit intrigued by Maison Kayser seeing a somewhat lengthy line at a few different locations and tried out a croissant and found it well… okay. No shattering crust on the exterior, but the middle was soft and had a decent buttery note. Eh. After more wandering I eventually made my way to Eleven Madison Park’s bar and opted for the a la carte menu over their tasting. Got poached lobster wrapped with green onions and then their aged and roasted duck. My goodness, that duck is quite good! Also the portion for the a la carte was actually double the sample menu which made me quite happy. Followed that up with some extra bread and other goodies from EMP made me a happy diner. I then eventually made my way to Blanca (next to Roberta’s) and had their dining menu. Very very nice, with lots of dishes. Their bread that they served as part of the course was delicious! Reminds me of just eating the rice at Benu, so simple, but so good.

As I had a little bit of time and it finally stopped raining, warped back to Existing Conditions and tried two more drinks, the Mango faustino was quite interesting with high floral mango hints while their Vodka cranberry was simply refreshing. The banana justino I thought was even better than the mango, just captures that banana flavor.

On my final day, I opted to go eat an early brunch Roberta and got their Famous Original. Same great dough as that bread from Blanca’s yesterday! I somehow managed to scarf that down and then went over to Noodle Village and tried a small bowl of wonton noodles. I think they did a good job on those noodles but they could be chewier; broth was good but I wish they had just a little more savory note. Wontons were very good and I overall enjoyed that; don’t think I can find one around SF yet.

Overall I had an excellent dining experience once more in NYC. Don’t think you can go wrong with anything, just wish the weather was better, the trains were on time, and I wish I also paid attention to restaurant hours haha.

I do recall why I hate flying out of New York though, TSA confiscated a small jar of peanut butter that was given as my end of the meal goody at Blanca. Definitely less than 3.4 fl oz but wasn’t labeled… should’ve just declared it as part of a face mask or something. The agent had a rather surly attitude and then basically claimed that their training requires them to confiscate anything that is a paste even though their own damn app points out that the item is allowed. Gah, didn’t even taste the peanut butter.

Anywho, thanks for everyone’s help! I’ll probably recompile places I missed for my next trip. Oh and random note, the Florida lychees were quite good though expensive…

8 Likes

Thanks for reporting back - Very keen on details of Blanca please. Weather last week was downright awful, had to whip out some heavy jackets .

I’ll eventually dig out the photographs haha and hope to remember some key parts. But I definitely enjoyed it though I really wish I was able to try their peanut butter goodie that they gave as an end of meal thing. Blasted TSA…

And yeah, the weather was not what I expected at all with the torrential downpour and winds

Not trying to revive a dead zombie, but I guess I’m headed back for a few days again in late October.

Though a little bit late on getting reservations. Thinking of trying to eat at Atomix, Izakaya Toto, Her name is Han, some aforementioned pizza place, maybe Modern, thinking EMP lunch once more (not sure I want to do dinner as I recall my lunch being relatively reasonably priced).

Any must eat places pop up since my last visit?

Welcome back!

I think you only touched a couple of the many places recommended, so you have a good list left.

The Eater list can get you the “hot now” component if that’s what you’re after.

Yeah that’s what I figured. Just wondering if any places had a dramatic downturn or the chef jumped ship.

I also saw on another topic about the Brooklyn exotic/rare fruit store:

Definitely want to check that out.

Wolfgang’s on Park Ave for steak is amazing. It’s run by former Luger people.
The ambiance at the Park Ave location is better than the Times Sq location.

The interior of Wolfgang’s flagship on Park Ave. is landmark (Gustavino ceiling). Gorgeous, but the noise level is LOUD. Haven’t been to the Times Sq. location, but have eaten at the 54th St. location. Though the interior is rather plain, the noise level is pleasant. Excellent steaks, of course.

So many steak places! Haha, still deciding might depend on where I am to figure things out.

Attempted to see if I can secure a booking at ATOMIX for chef’s counter, but uh looks like I’m ten seconds too slow? Bah.

Maybe I’ll do a walk in lounge counter. Any experience with that? Or just skip it all and go for ATOboy?

How’s your list coming @Night07?

I’ve gotten no feedback back from ATOMix, so I just presumed that I won’t have anything there lol.

Somehow, I think my expected weather pattern is going to be wet again. Lucky me -_-

In any case, thinking:

Izakaya Toto, Her name is Han, some aforementioned pizza place, maybe Modern, thinking EMP lunch. Maybe NoMad for lunch or dinner. Lox and Bagel somewhere, maybe russ and daugther again. I’ll likely be exploring the fruits and stuff in Chinatown. I missed the Brooklyn subway museum last time and the botanical gardens so probably spending a little more time around that area this time.

For drinking, I’m really not a huge drinker, I just like the ethos behind Dave Arnold and Don Lee’s bar so heading back to Existing Conditions definitely.

Mmmm dunno, the schedule’s going to be more relaxing this time around haha.

2 Likes

That’s always good :slight_smile:

I’d do Atoboy over Han (though they’re different styles). (Miss Korea has a great bbq lunch special if you want to comparison-eat kbbq vs LA.)

Assume you mean Yakitori Totto. You might take a look at Nonono - a newer izakaya, I’ve really enjoyed it a few times now, they have yakitori items done well too, plus lots of other things.

Try something different for bagels and lox - maybe one of the UWS smoked fish stalwarts like Barney Greengrass.

When you’re in Chinatown you should stop by Joe’s Shanghai for an order of crab+pork xlb, for a running comparison for nyc visits and elsewhere :joy:. Just eat that there, go elsewhere for other tastes - it’s worth a progressive eating tour.

Circled back on Joe’s XLB here.

Yep, oops lol. But thanks for the Korean suggestion! Might also do Nonono, I don’t know why I tend to lean towards Japanese when in LA/NYC though, but its never an issue. Is there anything in particular at Barney Greengrass that I should order?

Ha, I missed Joe’s Shanghai last time… fine, I really should eat there to compare haha. I just had Dinesty in Vancouver, and DTF in Seattle (think the SoCal location does a better job), so would be good to compare.