Any suggestions???

I’ll miss you.

What about just making some additions to your ignore list?

2 Likes

Best wishes to you and Mrs P on all your future endeavors as a retired person. I am after Mr Bean to retire but he wants to work a bit linger.

3 Likes

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face: I was originally planning on working a few more years, but between my back issues the last couple of years, and the unwelcome direction my company is going, I think it’s time to give the younger generation a chance. Luckily I have invested in my 401K plan for the last 41 years and the funds should help subsidize my Social Security and allow me to retire a little earlier. Hopefully you can convince Mr. Bean to retire soon so you can enjoy yourselves while you are both still healthy.

5 Likes

I love these people who are so needy that they need validation in order to stay. When I left CH, I didn’t tell anyone or make an announcement, I wonder why others feel the need to announce?

3 Likes

Harters just so you know, I LOVE reading your posts about UK places and food. I will probably never get to visit England (my family was kicked out of Hatfield by the King LOL), but I can visit vicariously through you.

1 Like

Can share the observation that HO has been a smaller community so it’s probably more noticeable here when a frequent poster stops participating. Not uncommon for fellow members to inquire about someone’s well-being, if a frequent poster didn’t happen to mention that they were leaving or taking a break. So there’s that.

6 Likes

I see that, but in the this instance i think the OP wanted to be begged to stay. As others have said, good luck and move on.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I guess from your username that you must be in Virginia - a state I’ve visited more often than any other. You’re fortunate to live in such a beautiful and interesting part of the world.

As you mentioned it, does anyone know what happened to Auspicious? He was here one day, posting regularly as usual, and then totally disappeared. No obvious disputes or indication he was unhappy here. I rather miss him and his sometimes spiky posts.

2 Likes

Yes the mountains of southwest Virginia in a rural community called Burke’s Garden. Husband and I farm his family farm there- we are the 5th generation to do so.

https://visittazewellcounty.org/burkes-garden-2/

My great grandfather to the fifth was one of the first to come across the mountains in a wagon from Cripple Creek, VA. On the convict side of the family, James Bourne, was the one kicked out of Hatfield for killing a rabbit on the King’s land. We also farm his farm, we are the fifth generation to do so,

4 Likes

It’s great that you are able to do what you need to. If nothing else, the last 2 years has shown many of us that we have options. Mr Bean has a love/hate relationship with his work - he loves to hate it. We are lucky that he could retire if wanted to but he’s not quite ready yet.

1 Like

Absolutely true!

1 Like

I’ve missed @Auspicious. I really enjoyed his boating tales and followed his journeys. He could be very “forthright” and I think that lead to some discussions (that were not food-related) which may have had some repercussions.

2 Likes

Totally agree with this. The OP has been a member for several years, did post a bit early in but not so much later. It’s hard to have a conversation if you’re not talking.

2 Likes

Oh, a lovely part of the world indeed. I think the nearest place to you that we’ve visited and stayed for a couple of nights, is Galax. We’d flown into Atlanta and a had a few days in Nashville then drove over to pick up the start of Blue Ridge Highway. We drove that, and the Skyline Drive its full length. Great trip - nice food.

(EDIT: just reading your link and rechecking my notes, I see we also had an overnighter on the way back to the airport at Wytheville)

2 Likes

When people ask me why I left Facebook, I say I was a people person until people ruined it. I was Admin over a history page. It was great…until it wasn’t. I was spending more time correcting people and gently reminding grown adults to “play nice”. So one day, I just shut it all down and left. It has been over a year, I have no desire to go back. As we say in the coalfields, don’t let the door hit you where the the good Lord spilt ya.

4 Likes

I used to work in Wytheville. Lots of history in Wytheville.

1 Like

There a few I can think of who could use a bit of a spanking sometimes…

1 Like

Yes and I will say there are few that have come over from CH that I wish would have gone somewhere else. But there is an ignore feature here that I plan on using with some of these. I think several of the “bless their heart” ones thought they were in charge or maybe they were and they got away with being rude and nasty.

1 Like

Yes, lovely country in VA. I spent a lot of time in the 80’s and 90’s there doing genealogy at the State Archives then going out to visit the areas where my family lived - near Fredericksburg from around 1730, in the Shenandoah Valley near Luray from the 1750s to 1790 by which time they were down around Wytheville, then further west by 1840.

Actually, the lands they owned in your part of the state are now in Carroll Co., along New River and Big Reed Island Creek.

I remember a famous place in Wytheville - Durham House, I think. Ham and red-eye gravy? Other than that and a couple of notable meals in Richmond, I wasn’t paying much attention to food.

But a beautiful state and so much history.

One of the librarians in Richmond said the locals call it Wiffle.

1 Like