Any suggestions???

Unfortunately, no time to explore. This really was just an eat and sleep stopover - hotel just off the interstate, restaurant next door.

1 Like

Unfortunately Wytheville doesn’t have much local offerings save for the Log House, Moon Dog (which is good pizza and subs) and Peking. Hope you were treated well.

I too have visited VA probably more than any other state . . . lots of interesting history and beautiful country. Staunton is a convenient overnight stay between Philly and Asheville, NC too, and has a surprisingly good Italian restaurant. I also recall some great dining in the Fredericksburg area (and an “ice bar” that really hit the spot on hot, humid VA summer days. And of course it’s easy to dine one’s way through Williamsburg or a few days.

Never been to Williamsburg. Us in southwest VA are not welcome in the eastern part of the state.
LOL JOKE PEOPLE. But i have no desire to go to eastern VA. Staunton the home of President Woodrow Wilson. His wife Edith was from Wytheville, Edith Boiling Wilson. I did some research/reading on her running the presidency when he was ill.

Well that is how the locals say it “Wiffle”. Not familiar with Durham House. There is the Log House restaurant-http://www.loghouse1776restaurant.com/ which is closed now temporarily due to major structure fire this winter.

Of course there is Skeeter’s Hot Dogs-http://www.skeetershotdogs.com/

And Grayson Restaurant-https://www.visitwytheville.com/business-directory/814/graysons-restaurant/

They left off Peking. Is it NYC or San Francisco chinese? No but the Hot and Sour soup and egg rolls are good.

Yes, the Wilson home was a nice surprise on our first visit (as a Philadelphian I always associated him with Princeton and never really thought of him as a Southerner). The Stonewall Jackson Hotel was also the scene of a very pleasant Christmas caroler impromptu concert on a December visit.

For me, Williamsburg was a must-see. I guess growing up in Philadelphia I had a natural interest in American history.

1 Like

Us in southwest VA feel about as welcome as a turd in a punchbowl when it comes to the eastern part of the state. I choose to spend my money in TN, WV, or SC instead of in eastern VA. It’s like going to Roanoke-I don’t want to be carjacked and shot by drug dealers.

I’ve lived my whole life in Philly VA is downright genteel :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t know- Roanoke and Lynchburg has a murder/shooting almost every night now. I had a neighbor who moved from Delaware and he was originally from South Philly. The stories he told about the bodies the mob dumped in the Delaware River. Sounded like the addicts being dumped in the Kanawha River in WV.

South Philly is a world unto itself. But it has great food shops and restaurants. I’m a NE Philly girl myself. Unfortunately the city has hit a new high (low?) in gun violence. I once had a boss who was originally from western PA who liked to say “welcome to Philadelphia: the drugs are expensive but life is cheap.”

Even I gave up about 10 years ago and moved my elderly mom to the burbs.

2 Likes

Well the Mexican Cartel is in southwest Virginia so it’s coming. When the pill mill docs were running Grundy and other towns, people lined up early in the morning to get their prescriptions for opioids, Now you see license plates in Bluefield, WV from NJ and Michigan. They ain’t here for tourism. Just down here, they don’t try crap cause they don’t who is packing a gun. Tip- most of us do. They are bringing the heroin to replace the pills. When I worked in coal, one of my guys working the barges on the river would count the bodies floating by each night- not a joke. I don’t know how the Sacklers live with themselves. Entire families are ruined for generations. Kids lost in the foster system-no amount of money can undo this.

1 Like

So sad. My niece lives in WV and has similar tales.

1 Like

We had a couple of days in Staunton on that trip in 2013. Dunno whether the restaurants are still there but I recall we had some good meals - Byers Street Bistro, Zynodoa and Emilio’s (was that your “surprisingly good Italian”, Kim?). We enjoyed the Wilson presidential museum (apart from its several, if minor, inaccuracies about WW1)

Yeah when I would come out of one of the mine sites, a guy would stop me in the middle of the road and tell me I could have any pill I wanted. Kinda like the old time peddler who opened his coat and all his wares were there. He did all his business right out of his house on Rt 52 in McDowell County. He had a lot of business at one time.

1 Like

Yes, it was. Our first visit was a stop over on the way to NC and it happened to be mt birthday. We sat on their rooftop dining area on a beautiful early September evening and the waitress overheard the birthday toast and brought me a delicious tiramisu to celebrate. We stopped again on the way back to Philly and were remembered (the waitress even asked if mom was with me for this visit).

I don’t recall Byers Street (though that doesn’t mean we didn’t eat there), but agree Zyndoa was worth a visit. I admire your note keeping on trips, I still really on my increasingly fuzzy memory.
They were the first two of several visits and we never had a disappointing meal or service

1 Like

I think it reflects the American take on WWI :wink:

1 Like

Yes, some people need to keep working and would be bored with retirement. I am not one of them :grinning:
We are friends with a couple that are 70 to mid 70’s with no thought of retiring. They don’t need the money either.

2 Likes

I have been wondering that too. I thought maybe I had missed something. I doubt I would agree with much he has to say about politics, but I enjoyed reading some of his posts and he could be helpful on some topics. Does he do charters with his yacht? I bet that business is pretty busy right now.

Apparently, Zynodoa does good advertising amongst folk like us. We drove from Asheville to Staunton five years ago (stopping around Wytheville, but not sure where). Had dinner at Zynodoa and really liked it. Beautiful country.

1 Like

After Staunton, we carried on to our northernmost destination at Winchester. It’s got a lovely, if small, pedestrianised mall in the downtown. We also had some good eats there - One Block West and Violino (another surprisingly good Italian). Google suggesst the latter is still in business and would be well worth a visit if in town.

1 Like