Any substitutes for mayonnaise on a sandwich ?

I think this all started from this 64 oz. jar of mayo I purchased . It kind of freaked me out thinking I’m going to eat all that mayo .

Well then. Problem solved.

To me an avocado tastes like an avocado. Very strongly. If I got an avocado that tasted neutral, I’d be very disappointed, and if I persistently got them from a market or vendor, I’d stop buying avocados there.

I can understand that. The amount of preservatives in a 64 oz container of mayo must be astounding. Even making 5 sandwiches a week, how long will it be before you get to the bottom of the jar?

I don’t think you want to watch this, but I include for posterity

Didn’t you say that avocados are hard to come by where you live? Here’s IMO a perfect description of the taste:

For those who have actually never tasted an avocado, its texture is fleshy, oily, and creamy. Imagine a tree bearing fruit of balmy fresh vegetable infused butter. That’s it, that’s an avocado.Aug 19, 2014
What does an avocado taste like? How would you describe …
https://www.quora.com/What-does-an-avocado-taste-like-How-woul...Quora

We had some on a cheeseburger with arugula, mayo and horseradish. I was aware of the texture more than the taste. YMMV

I live in Italy, but I grew up in California, with an avocado tree in my front yard! One doesn’t forget what a ripe avocado tastes like. I have tasted those without taste or an unpleasant unripe vegetable taste (including here in Italy.)

If you are eating tasteless avocados for their texture or as a neutral sandwich spread/fat because that is only kind of avocadoes you can get, or the ones you prefer, can’t comment on that. But a ripe avocado has a distinct taste. It pairs with many foods nicely, but it has its own distinct flavor. (Your link sends me to non-existent page.)

However, if you pair a ripe avocado with horseradish plus arugula, of course you are going to obliterate the flavor even if the ripe avocado had it to begin with. Avocado can’t compete with that. The distinct flavor of a ripe avocado is not exactly what I would term delicate, but it is not powerful in the mouth like horseradish and arugula.

Another vote here, for various salad dressings. For me, especially Russian or Thousand Island Dressing. How about adding bottled barbeque sauce as a moistener? And a Pennsylvania Dutch type Chow Chow relish adds wonderful flavor and moistness, too. With tuna sandwiches, the mix has to include a splash of lemon juice at some point. I also keep a jar of a “homemade mixture” of regular mayonnaise, with an envelope of dry onion soup mix stirred in. Label the jar very clearly, and use that mayo spread maybe once a week for some variety.

Flavored cream cheese, especially the light ones, might have less fat than mayo - I haven’t compared labels.

One of my favorite sandwiches is chopped liver with mustard, chive cream cheese, and sliced onion on a pumpernickel bagel. Detrimental to one’s lifespan, but worth every minute!

1 Like

Your quote: "To me an avocado tastes like an avocado. Very strongly. " To me that doesn’t make much sense. “Strongly”? Sure. But that is a mild flavor. I’ve lived in CA for 40 years so have eaten hundreds of avocados. Perhaps because you miss them you’ve endowed them with a memory that’s a little off.

almost all commercial mayo is made with soybean or some other seed oils. many, including myself, won’t eat those.

1 Like

When I say avocado spread is neutral tasting, I mean that to me it doesn’t overwhelm the other tastes that I expect when I’ve added avocado to a sandwich, salad or sauce. It adds a different texture, and by all means, it adds an avocado taste, but I don’t think the taste hides or masks other flavors. I can’t say the same about mustard, which was my other option. Mustard adds a distinct spice and flavor that doesn’t always work so well IMO with other ingredients.

1 Like

Just Mayo is actually really good- and i’ve been a helleman’s loyal fan forever.
One gram sat fat per serving

3 Likes

For sandwiches hummus is a great spread, as would be other similar white bean or edamame “hummus”.

As for the 64oz jar of mayo…well i guess you’re going to bring potato salad to every gathering you’re invited to this coming summer :wink:

1 Like

Hi emglow101,

Yeah all the store bought stuff is pretty terrible for you. Don’t be fooled by the natural labeled mayonnaise.( still better than Kraft) They all typically put in a “shelf life extender” oil/fat ingredient.

What about doing your own homemade Mayo? in small batches because it wont keep long. A few easy recipes if you Google it.

That’s the first I’ve ever heard of that particular dietary restriction. Why do people avoid seed oils? I know that Kraft makes an olive oil based mayo, would that be better?

Mayo is relatively uncommon on sandwiches in Europe, where we’re more likely to use olive oil, butter or, for the more health conscious, one of the “butter substitute” spreads.

Lunch for me is usually a sandwich and the only time I use mayo is if my protein is a tin of tuna. The rest of the time I usually use a sunflower oil spread, unless the main content is something spreadable, like houmous.

On the other hand, my companion in life will, more often than not, use bread unadorned with anything. But then that’s soemone who regards tuna, whether fresh or tinned, as only fit for cat food.

1 Like

For tuna, I like to put a little mayo in the mix then pour in some pickle juice (and chopped dill pickles). That stretches out the mayo and makes for a juicy tuna sandwich.

1 Like

Water, Olive Oil, Soybean Oil, Vinegar, Modified Food Starch, Sugar, Maltodextrin, Eggs, Contains less than 2% of Salt, Mustard Flour, Dried Onions, Dried Garlic, Natural Flavor, Enzyme Modified Egg Yolk, Beta Carotene* (Color), Lactic Acid*, Potassium Sorbate* and Calcium Disodium Edta As Preservatives, Phosphoric Acid* *Ingredient not Normally Found In Mayonnaise

i would not eat that, no. for many, myself included, seed oils cause inflammation and they are suspected in other health issues as well.

Ah, I hadn’t realized the olive oil was in addition to the soybean oil rather than replacing it. Understood.

I would probably pick the Just brand as a better choice among Mayo. However the oft used but really not that good for Canola oil main ingrediant, is a dealbreaker for me.

1 Like

I have a family member who discovered they are extremely sensitive to soy products, so we have become label-readers. On our shopping trip today, we carefully went down the ingredients of several salad dressings, and finally found 2 that did not contain soybean oil. Soy in this person’s body seems to promote a sleepiness, foggy headedness and lack of concentration.