Any substitutes for mayonnaise on a sandwich ?

You can use olive oil, mustard, fig/balsamic/pinot noir or other favorite vinegar in your tuna mix. Or pesto–maybe with chopped pistachios. Wild Planet is good stuff.

1 Like

It has been said a few times, but I would go with avocado / guacamole.

(Edited to say I’m sorry this post is tagged as a response to NotJrvedevici’s post, because it is meant to respond to the original post. My fault)

What is it that you find unhealthy about mayo?

I agree that if you buy the commercial stuff, then you are eating material processed with preservatives. But you don’t solve that problem by eating other processed foods.

Are you trying to cut back on egg yolks? Fat? Because if not, you can make your own mayo or be lazy and mash a cooked egg yolk with olive oil that has had a garlic clove sitting in it for a bit. Add a splash of your favorite vinegar. Just look at the ingredients of mayo and make your own concoction.

I use tuna packed in olive oil, so I don’t need mayo if I am making a tuna sandwich. It is harder for me to eat cold leftover turkey or cold chicken without mayo, however. But how often do you eat a roasted turkey or a chicken sandwich, or even the favorite salad/sandwich you describe? Even if it is once a week, that small amount of homemade mayo is normally not unhealthy unless you have a chronic disease of some sort.

1 Like

I make my sandwiches 5 days a week for lunch . I’m tired of mayonnaise on or in my sandwiches that’s all . Plus I do not need the 16 grams of saturated fat .

Your OP says “I love mayonnaise”, “I’m not going to give up mayo”, and “I like to use a lot of mayo in the mix”. I’m confused…

I love it but I’m tired of all the saturated fat I guess : :thinking:

I really like Ojai Cook Lemonaise Light. SImilar mouth feel to trad mayo but zingy and lower fat
Good luck!

1 Like

It is my favourite sandwich!

1 Like

I’ll have to test this out! Thanks for the idea!

Pan Bagnat . I am so on this . Thanks

2 Likes

okay. If that’s the emphasis – novelty – there are a few healthy choices as mentioned above that don’t come from a factory. But if you love mayo and are worried about what your body needs and doesn’t need, if you make your own mayo choosing a healthy oil, you can avoid the bad oils like soybean oil plus avoid the sugar and additives typically found in industrially produced products, including ones labeled “lite” or “healthy”.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Recipes/Mayonnaise---Homemade-Condiments_UCM_468510_PrintPreview.jsp

Given how often you eat sandwiches, making your own mayo isn’t likely to see much go to waste.

emglow,

It occurred to me later that no one had mentioned mushroom pate for a sandwich made with poultry

http://www.cestlavegan.com/2010/07/mushroom-pate/

(leftover mushroom pate makes a great pasta sauce or finish for a plain risotto)

and chutneys, which you can make in so many flavor combos

Other folks have suggested avocado… I’d also suggest trying “Nayonaise” or other veggie mayos; they’re tangier and lighter than real mayo but have a good flavor. I’d also suggest things like Branston pickle or the new egg-free mayos on the market that have much less saturated fat but taste like mayo.

Funny you’d say, that. Most sandwiches in Germany come with butter, not with mayonnaise.

Well, as far as tuna goes, there’s harissa, as in Le Fricasse Tunisien, the Tunisian version of a tuna sandwich. Here’s a simple recipe and one in French (there’s disagreement on the spelling).

I understand these are popular street food, served on palm-sized fried rolls. I’ve never been to Tunisia but I’ve made these at home and they’re good (can’t find the recipe I used - thought I had it bookmarked).

If you want your reformulated tuna sandwich without mayo to taste the same as one with mayo then your options have been pretty well delineated I think, but if you’re open to some new flavor combinations, there are lots of possibilities.

Other condiments for sandwiches that come to mind that would mitigate dryness include tzatzaki, ajvar, muhumarra, chow-chow. Salad dressings and chutneys have been mentioned too.

In my world tuna and mayo together or alone are their own food group
I do make tuna with and without mayo

quality tuna in oil …always
white, wine, cider or any vinegar of your liking
chopped pickled jalapenos ( liquid if you can tolerate), scallion, red onion, sweet onion, chive
lemon, lemon zest, celery, capers, red, yellow orange peppers, carrots
Trader joes makes a mix of chopped radish, celery, broccoli, red cabbage
throw that in for great crunch … it’s very good and good if you don’t feel like chopping
arugula always the green leaf of choice

any and all of the above combined … the more veggies the better
I started making this with mayo and slowly reduced the amount I added until we
began to prefer without the mayo… sometimes however, you just have to have a tuna sandwich
with mayo
ps Trader Joe’s mayo, although an acquired taste, contains no sugar
attached is a picture of a tuna salad with veggies and mayo so you can get an idea of the ratio of
veg to tuna. I usually use albacore in combination with a tuna that contains lower mercury levels
also a pic of my preferred type of tuna

1 Like

Eh, I generally hate mayo and I tolerate it in egg salads or tuna salads, but I go light. I definitely agree that a creamy avocado spread would be perfect, if you want a more neutral taste. Otherwise, I tend to default to mustard when I don’t mind the mustard flavor in a sandwich. Surprisingly one of the chefs in my building’s cafeteria went creative and actually created a tuna egg salad where the creamed avocado was used to sub for most of the mayo. It tasted pretty decent. I wonder if that would work for tuna?

What type of mayo do you use or how much, to get 15 gm of saturated fat? Unless you mean for the week.

Best Foods . For the week .

Total Fat 10 g 15%
Saturated fat 1.6 g 8%
Polyunsaturated fat 6 g
Monounsaturated fat 2.3 g
Trans fat 0 g

An average diet (quick Google) contains 16 grams of saturated fat per day so I don’t see why a couple of grams a day at lunch is a big deal.