Any Oyster Shucker Recommendation?

Later today I’ll post a photo of my self-made oyster knife.

I think the desirable attributes are:

–a bulbous palm handle that discouages slipping your hand onto the shells

–convex-ground edges that stay sharp (enough) to keep working without resharpening.

–enough breadth (and some thickness) near the tip, so you can twist a bit to gain entry between the shells.

–unless you’re opening L or bed run sized, a 3" or so blade length is easier and safer to handle.

Re: gloves… First rule is to keep your off hand out of the stab line. Keep a folded towel atop the oyster and your hand atop that. Second rule is use a backstop;. The opposite end of the oyster is backed up against something; with your hand on top, everything is pretty well fixed. If you Google Image oyster shucking boards, you’l get the idea. But you can just clamp something across your counter or cutting board. You may find you don’t need any glove. I’m

Wow, yes thanks for the photo, they look the same indeed. Can’t say I’d have used it too much, I think only once with my kid while eating crabs :D.

Congrats on the sale! I might have a beer or two later on :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have to recommend Julio over at Goode Company Seafood on Westpark. Dude is amazing!

2 Likes

I remember reading an article about different styles for different oysters, and ended up buying 2. I don’t think this is the same article, but it describes the difference styles toward the end.

This one is more to the point. (See what I did there.?)

https://www.dexterrussellcutlery.com/how-to-choose-an-oyster-knife/

1 Like

Thanks. I won’t be surprise at all. On one hand, I have no problem spending decent money (say $50) for a good oyster knife. One the other hand. I actually do not know how often I will be eating oysters. There are some tools I keep using, and there are some tools which I only used fewer than 5 times. I used my granite stone bowl only 3-4 times.

*I think all the knives in that article are Dexter-Russell knives.

Do you eat oysters often at home? Do you think an oyster knife is worth it? Or should I just use a letter opener? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do eat olives at home and I can’t imagine doing it without an oyster knife. I think I bought one of those gloves too, but can’t remember using it. One more article

I got this one in 2020

And this one in 2016

I bought some oysters a couple of weeks ago without thinking that I don’t own a shucking knife. Wasn’t sure what I could use but found that my 5” Henckels serrated utility knife worked pretty well, though I did have to choke up on holding it with my thumb actually on the flat side of the blade. It probably worked because of the shape of the tip and that the blade is very rigid.

Little too much shuck-and-jive in this thread. :wink:

1 Like

OK, here’s mine.

6 Likes

My friend Ming will probably find one for $3 at a yard sale if she hasn’t already. Do I sound jealous? That’s because I am. She’s a wizard at that.

Not being snotty, I really don’t know- are there oysters in Hawaii?

No. But thereare opihi.

I live on the Salish Sea/Puget Sound.

1 Like

Thanks. He is chubby.

1 Like

Mention of oysters takes me back to a restaurant on the pier at San Clemente, California, and some oysters that didn’t like me. I was supposed to fly back home the next day; had to delay my flight.

Like father like son.

He’s made of 52100, curly koa and nickel-silver with white spacers.

I have used a few different oyster knives. I usually grab the OXO. The blade is wider than most and not nearly as sharp but it provides more leverage. Sharp ones do a better job of releasing the meat from the shell and are also better on certain oysters, if I need to approach the oyster from somewhere other than the hinge which sometimes happens. I have and am not a fan of the long thin blade types.

I have never seen those oyster boards. Interesting. I can see how that might really help with some of the tough ones. If I ate oysters as much as I used to I’d consider tying one of those out, but I would still use my cut resistant gloves. Then again, I usually use a helmet and face shield when I use my chain saw even though I have never gotten close to needing it. I’m pain adverse so I tend to overdo things.

ETA: I have managed to bend the tip of the OXO but it still works fine for me.

King Kooker 5500 Stainless Steel Oyster Opener, with Oyster Knife (amazon.com)

I have also used something like this one. I have never gotten a hang of it and am faster using a knife, but I know people who really like these. I have seen them work well by someone used to using it, in a situation where we were opening large numbers of oysters which would have been tiresome to do by hand. The one I’m familiar with is a little different but same concept.

1 Like

Apparently none of y’all are Neanderthals like me - no one uses a big flathead screwdriver and a putty knife?

1 Like

Hmmm. Do Neanderthals buy raw oysters? I haven’t checked prices in months, but I’m thinking 3 dozen raw Grassy Bar oysters cost me at least $65 USD before shipping. The oyster knife is $16, and saves me the potential cost of the emergency room.

Okay, maybe not the emergency room, but I am differently-abled-even-for-a moment averse. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. :smile:

1 Like

What? No cutproof chaps and steel ankle/boot covers?

For the shield, you a wire mesh guy or clear plastic?