Any new tidbits on Hong Kong (Spring 2019)

I’m probably one of the few people who enjoy it.

The ones I’ve purchased in the past were still alive I believe, from Korean supermarkets. And I consumed them raw ala sashimi. Reminds me of blood cockles but with a more iodiney hint vs. irony flavor of blood cockles.

2 Likes

Thanks for another point of reference. We will be visiting Jeju Island in June. Will give it one more try, hopefully prepared the correct way.

Maybe the irony profile is just not for me. Had Blood Cockles the first time from the seafood market in Sydney. Had never heard of them before. Brought a dozen live ones back to our hotel room and shucked them up. Couldn’t get past the blood like ooze and taste however. Have had them again a few times, but no love.

It’s definitely an acquired taste. Sounds like it may not be your cup of tea.

Jeju sounds like it’s going to be a fun trip.

Yeah, have not been back to S. Korea in 10 years. Never out of Seoul. I understand Jeju is a seafood rich locale, and we love those. Will hit Busan also.

Delicious because of shitake, or with scallop. On their own, they have not much taste. Mainly for medicinal reasons, people eat them.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-14/dim-sum-s-future-is-pokemon-buns-black-custard-in-hong-kong?srnd=living

“Enthusiasts in the U.S. can find it at places such as RedFarm in New York and Chili House in San Francisco” … Chili House? Never thought of trying dim sum there but yelp photos do show photos. Might give it a shot… but… is that place any good?

And more dim sum places to try? Argh lol. I give up trying to get a hold of a dim sum reservation at Seventh Son mainly due to them requiring me to call for one. I’m trying to avoid overloading my lunches with dim sum as well and fit in more of the congee/wonton noodles or cha chan tang style food.

Dinner wise, still debating on a few places. Has anyone tried Kin’s Kitchen as of late? My folks are also waffling between familial meetings as well so that throws off whatever ability I can plan. Meh.

Well random question, is there anything supremely unique to bring back from HK that I can’t find around SF? I saw @sck’s prawn roe noodles that look great. I recall KK’s hot sauce recommendation though we rarely use hot sauce. Wonder if there’s some sort of special soy sauce brewed only in a certain location that might be fun to bring back. I recall there’s a Singaporean brand only marketed there if @klyeoh has any idea but not sure if there’s one special one from HK (I don’t think I want to bring back Lee Kum Kee… lol).

Edit: https://www.cntraveller.in/story/6-sauces-bring-back-hong-kong/ OH! Maybe I’ll bring a few back

Singapore’s answer to Lee Kum Kee would be Kwong Woh Hing, although I can’t imagine that it’s worth lugging back. :smile:

@Night07

Google maps does have its idiosyncrasies, but worth to us to figure out. It’s helped us navigate throughout Asia and Europe.

We’ve had the problem with bus lines as well. Sometimes some bus options don’t show

Hit options.

Then specify the desired mode. In this case, bus. The default is “best route”, which may preclude the options best for you.

For example. We want the bus to Yokohama Friday. Maps would only give me the Shinkansen train. I manually optioned bus, and my direct bus Option popped right up.

Oh I’m aptly aware of how useful google maps is, just last time I was around the Happy Valley with my phone my folks thought I was an idiot trying to find the right # bus stop (which wasn’t even in the same general area). Just to watch the bus go past us not stopping anywhere around.

The MTR app worked better in that case, but in general the google maps app should be good.

Ouch!!!

We scored the top front seats on the dbl-decker tram at the Happy Valley terminus. All set for a scenic cruise to a delicious lunch in Wanchai.

At some point, realized we were going right instead of left. Oh well, ended up in Chai Wan at a place we’d eaten before. It’s all good.

2 Likes

Woah That looks good as well.

Oh I suppose one question. We’re arriving somewhat late into HKG at around 7:30 (later if there’s any delays, or earlier if the pilot hustles) and after clearing all that I expect to be past immigration around 8:30. Any thoughts on where to eat? Just grab something at the airport?

As you know, there are eateries everywhere. Unless you are way out in the boonies. Something is bound to be open late in the night, early morning.

Do you plan to take the airport express into town? If your group is more than 2, taxi may be as cost effective. If 4-6 ppl, call a large Uber car.

What area are you staying in the first night?

You do have Octopus cards, of course?

Yeah that’s true, I’ll be around HKU so not too far out from central. Planning to take a bus as its cheaper lol.

Already have the octopus cards lying around though… probably have little to no cash value on them.

Dependent on which part of ‘near HKU’, the A10 airport bus may take you close by.

As GG mentioned, HKG is full of restaurants, and many well known chains too. If you want to eat close to where you eat, try Tak Kee in Sai Wan opposite of one of the HKU MTR entrance, and the A10 airport bus will drop you right at the entrance. They close at 11pm. Google says its closed. I certainly hope that they aren’t.

If not Tak Kee, there are plenty of Chiu Chow restaurants in Sai Wan and Sheung Wan. Eat, then take a cab to your place to stay.

That’s like last week I tried to drive to Newark to eat and didn’t realize I took the wrong ramp and ended up in Little Saigon in San Jose. LOL.

1 Like

And get some late night dessert at Yuen Kee. Also closes at 11pm.

Think A23 is the one I’m taking, just off water st.

Main thing is to drop off the luggage, and just grab a quick bite. If I was flying solo I’m good to grab before heading to my hotel but unfortunately my folks might pack a little heavier than I prefer.

But yeah, sounds good for the choices. Will probably grab dessert as well. Thanks for the rec!

I don’t think there is an A23 bus? I am only aware of one airport bus that goes to western and southern Hong Kong island.

http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/airport-bus/route/index.aspx?intLangID=1

… … uh… A12. >_> I blame dyslexia.