Any new tidbits on Hong Kong (Spring 2019)

Since I finally put everything on a map, I just realized my hotel isn’t too far off from Kwan Kee claypot rice and they close at 10:30 pm. I’m definitely thinking of heading to that after we land!

2 Likes

It looks like A12 and A10 both stop at the same place once they came out of the tunnel.

I’d probably get a jar of the XO sauce to try. They seem to be widely distributed, including the Park n Shop near me.

I was looking at Patchun and it looks like its the similar vinegar one can already buy in the Bay Area.

Would love to try the soy sauce, though its annoying to have to check the bags…

1 Like

Ha yeah. The pat chun vinegar looks like the same one you can find here just theres one with the pigs feet inside and other sizes.

For the xo sauce i have to find one without ham. But the kowloon soy sauce seems interesting. Bought a bottle will see how it tastes lol

Oh yes that’s true. Can’t bring the one with ham. totally forgot about that.

Yeah. I was thinking of bringing some dried tangerine peels but they are still citrus so forget that. Guess dried seafood lol

@Google_Gourmet

The Lei Garden XO sauce, does it contain ham?

Per website. Yes lol

@Google_Gourmet

You have succeed to bring the bottle back to US?

Luckily, the world I’m living in doesn’t have restrictions like this.

We brought the XO sauce back with no problem.

Inbound customs procedure has been unusual at SFO. In the past, the passport control officer would write a number on your customs declaration form. I’m sure that flags the customs exit inspector that a secondary inspection is necessary.

My last two arrivals, the form was not needed. Furthermore, there wasn’t even an officer after luggage claim in February. You picked up your luggage and waltzed right out.

Last week, there was an officer at the outlet, but he wasn’t actively checking anyone. There used to be a bottleneck at times getting out, but much faster now.

Wait. I cant bring back the puerh inside the aged mandarin either… right?

Can we say the peel is chinese herbs or something? I mean, I really can’t say its citrus…Its the leftover of citrus.

And they have treatment and being dried.
If you are worried, send a parcel via the slow post. @Chemicalkinetics bought his mandarin pu-erh directly from china without any problem.

No. I need to update the status. I think my previous Mandarin Pu Erh came through because they didn’t check. They confiscate and destroyed my last/latest Chen-Pi or Mandarin with Pu Erh tea.

1 Like

Really! Ouch, that hurts! Sorry for your loss.

Yeah, but the way they destroyed the dried citrus is odd too (half of the citrus peel came through). Anyway, there is probably a way to bring these through, but as individuals, we wouldn’t able to obtain enough documentation to get them through.

Cut and paste the confiscating letter

I have spent the money this year, and got the first-pick Lion Peak Dragonwell. Ha.

2 Likes

Great that they didn’t confiscate everything, especially the dragon well! :sweat_smile:

Apparently peel from China is not ok:

table 3-111:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/manuals/ports/downloads/miscellaneous.pdf

Well, when I read it, it was a bit more grey. Now, I know. What it states if I remember is that orange peel from Asia countries are not ok if raw. However, peels can be allowed if they are processed. However, as individual buyers, it is just not likely you get the proper documentation to prove the process is up to the spect. This is why you and I probably cannot bring orange peel from China, but you can still buy orange peel from China from a store – because the store owner got the documentation.

I was just too optimistic and thought the dried orange peel is “processed” by default and don’t need additional proof.

1 Like

The whole idea that orange peel is some sort of health risk is just ridiculous.