Any Jam Makers or Home Canners Out There?

Pretty!

2 Likes

I am hoping someone can help me identify a book. It is probably a preserving book, or possibly a baking book. Anyway, one that I took from the library and didn’t make note of. I took a picture of one page, and the recipes are:
White peach and vanilla jam
Yellow peach and passionfruit jam
Blueberry and yellow nectarine jam

I love the passionfruit jam and would love to see the book again, as my photo has an ingredient list and how to get started, then says follow steps 3, 4, 5 and 6 on page 140. I followed other trusted sources, but this is driving me nuts. I have tried google and Eat Your Books with no success. Thanks!

Is the peach and passionfruit recipe from here: https://www.capbeauty.com/blogs/the-thinking-cap/behind-closed-doors-camilla-wynne? I made that last year… was thinking of making again…

It wasn’t from Jam Bake, though that jam sounds delicious too! It must be something not indexed on EYB. I borrow so many cookbooks from the library but my searches are coming up with nothing. Thanks!

Made a few batches this week-end. This salsa https://www.canadianliving.com/food/recipe/sassy-sweet-salsa-1 Made it last year and just gave the last jar to a friend: she asked for the recipe, so it was a good incentive to make more! I also made a plum/pear/apple jam that I have making for years: I don’t even remember where I got the recipe! ANd finally a small batch peach and ginger chutney. I have SO MANY jars… not sure what I am going to do with them all! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Lol! I finished canning the last of 28 pints of peaches today - some with bourbon, some with brandy, some in 100% light syrup. So satisfying when it’s all done, even if it seems like a lot. Hopefully they’ll help chase off the winter doldrums in a few months.

I refrained from doing any jam at all this year except peach, as we still have plenty of blueberry, blackberry and strawberry jam left from last year. I’m thinking it’s time to make jam cakes and jelly rolls.

4 Likes

Same! I have so much still! Here’s a new-to-me jam-using recipe I might try…

2 Likes

A giant pop tart! Love it!

ETA: Oh, but the jam does sound interesting. Hadn’t thought about using a mix of dried and freish fruit for jam, but it works for pies, so why not?

I had the same reaction. I’ve seen a couple recipes with dried fruit that have intrigued me.

I’ve been on a (non-alcoholic) shrub bender lately, and decided to try water-bath canning some of my efforts. Given their high vinegar content, I think the shrubs should lend themselves well to the process. I did a sample batch of four different varieties. I’ll be interested to compare the processed shrubs with the raw shrubs, as I’m fairly certain the heating process will have had some impact on flavor:

Blueberry-lavender
Blackberry-lime
Apple-cinnamon
Peach-ginger-cinnamon

5 Likes

Pickled scallions – fridge pickles.

Opted for cold pack today, so lots of float.

4 Likes

In Hawaii, summer is mango season. I put out the word that I was looking for mangoes, and one of my coworkers came through and then some… with 2 large boxes of mangoes. I was busy, and made I dont know how many batches of mango jam and mango chutney.

Add images here

7 Likes

A test jar of brandied apples.

I used new crop (just in) Chelan-county Honeycrisp. The recipe is from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. I made a 1/3 batch for 1 ½ pints.

I’m not sure what the purpose of canned apples is, as they transport easily, hold up well for months in cold storage, and are always seem to be available. I’m intrigued with idea of spirited fruits, however, so am hoping the brandy adds a little something extra. In any case, the jars are pretty and I’ve long wanted to try this recipe.

7 Likes

Mixed Fruit Chutney. Has tomatoes, plums, pears and apples. It calls for 5 (!!) cups of brown sugar: I cut it down to 3. I made this last year and it was very popular, so made it again! I have just looked at my fridge, and I am leaving for a 3 week trip in less than a week… and still have tons of produce. Will be jamming a lot to try to use it up!

4 Likes

Bottling day!

This is a blueberry liqueur made with garden blueberries, blueberry brandy and vodka. It’s been doing its thing in the back of a cupboard for about 6 weeks. Of all the berries I tried this with this year, these were the only to actually ferment. I check the jars pretty often, and these were swelling, and exhaled when I opened them. I had to open them and de-gas every-other-day or so for about a week until things settled down.

The by-product here – blueberries swollen with booze – is out of this world. I wish I could eat it all straight from the jar, as the texture is really fresh. As it is, I kept one cup in the fridge as-is for midnight snacking (!) and put another 3 portions in the freezer.

The bottles will go out as Christmas gifts (with one in reserve for the Bottler In Chief).

This has been a fun way to preserve some of the summer berries. I still have blackberry and raspberry in the pipeline. I’d like to add a version with currants next year.

And for anyone who’s keeping track of fruitcake season this year, I started soaking my Christmas fruit mid-August.

6 Likes

Trying to chip away at that produce! Today was a small batch cranberry and pear chutney, from Food in Jars. https://www.amazon.ca/Food-Jars-Preserving-Batches-Year-Round-ebook/dp/B007ZDDGS8 Quick and easy recipe!

4 Likes

In violation of my own moratorium, I made and canned 4 quarter-pints of apple jelly today. This made from those nice Chelan-county Honeycrisp apples. Not DH’s favorite, so made a small batch just for me.

Also, went and picked more blackberries, and canned 7 quarter-pints of blackberry pancake and waffle syrup.

9 Likes

Fortune smiled on me yesterday when a friend invited me to pick her apple tree. I left with a couple of cases of small, ripe apples – variety unknown (the tree was there when she bought the house).

It hardly made a dent in the surplus today when I made 7 half-pints of chunky, spiced apple butter. I might make a second batch of applesauce, and then most of the remaining apples are destined for our food dryer (dried apples are one of my favorite snacks).

8 Likes

are you also fermenting the scraps for vinegar? It’s an easy wild yeast ferment.

And sometimes I make pectin with the really small scraggy apple fruits, cores and peels.

Lol - at the moment, I’m feeding the scraps to the deer.

The apple scrap vinegar sounds interesting, however. I’ve made a note of that blog post for future reference - thanks for the link!

2 Likes