Any Jam Makers or Home Canners Out There?

It’s probably my own lack of understanding, but I struggle to see how the added pectine and sugar should play a role in whether or not to can?

Imho whether I can or not, I won’t change the actual jam recipe. So even if I ‘can’, I will still use the 40% sugar ratio, no added pectine, and be done typically within 30 minutes of cooking. These days I do not can any jars of jam, because I don’t make huge quantities and my family members (not living at my home) do not seem to appreciate my jam efforts… :frowning:

So, do you use a different recipe when you know you will be sterilising afterwards?

I just made rhubarb refrigerator jelly the other day. I’ve never had rhubarb and was pleasantly surprised by the taste. I think it’s going to be tasty on some grilled chicken thighs.

2 Likes

That sounds delicious! Do you have a link to the recipe? Thanks

I don’t–it was in the Ball book and it’s not on their site. I will try to remember to look it up when I get home. It was pretty simple–here are the approximate amounts: rhubarb cleaned and cut in chunks (about 2 pounds), 1/4 water and I think I used about 3/4 cup sugar. Put it all in a pot, bring to a boil, then lower to a slow bubble for 25-30 minutes until rhubarb is broken up. Stir occasionally.

1 Like

I don’t remember the science exactly but I’ve read a few times that because the sugar in things we preserve is there for both flavor and as a preservative, it requires a certain proportion of sugar to fruit. (I don’t remember the proportion.)

Therefore, when I want to use less sugar, I’m not sure if it is suitable for canning. The recipe I linked is for small batches that you keep in the fridge, and is expected to be eaten within a few weeks, but doesn’t contain enough sugar to preserve it. I like that one if I’m only making a small amount. Some other recipes will also say say they are not suitable for canning.

I’ve also read that one function of pectin is to allow jams and jellies to set up, without having to cook a long time, so the flavors are different, and you can use different amounts of sugar with different kinds of pectin, but they are usually both suitable for canning, by which I mean I can store them outside of the refrigerator. I usually use those recipes when I’m making a lot that I plan to give away as gifts.

I hope all that makes sense.i can probably find a source that explains it better.

I teach home food preservation, using science as the basis.
Sugar is not a necessary (from a science perspective) ingredient for any preserve, whether pressure canned or water bath processed. Sugar/syrups help fruits to retain colour and texture, and so make the final result more appealing. Physically/chemically speaking, one could chop fruit, cook it down to evaporate the water, and then have “jam”. Most fruits are naturally high acid enough to prevent mold, fungus and bacterial growth AFTER appropriate waterbath processing. Otherwise, keep your preserve in the fridge.
Some types of pectin react to high heat, and so are less suitable for waterbath processing; think “freezer jam” or “no-cook jams”. The flavour of the preserve is much fresher, as there is no cooking involved.
Small batch (i.e. 1 kg of fruit or less) jams, using little or no sugar can still be processed for shelf-stable storage, using a water-bath. See “Small Batch Preserves” or “Food In Jars” books as reference.
Many recipes for fruit preserves and pickles are scaled for larger quantities, due to the perceived effort of water-bath processing several jars at a time. FWIW, I use an asparagus cooker (deep narrow pot) to process one or two small jars of specialty items, or for test batches.
We are a household of two, and I make many recipes that yield two or four 250ml jars.

5 Likes

Thank you! That’s a lot of information to process (ha ha), but if I understand you correctly, the linked recipe from Cooks Illustrated for small batch jam can be processed and shelf stable?

I only make big batches when I make pepper jelly (not jam or preserve) and that often makes me crazy because of getting the set, the clarity, the sweet and heat the way I like it.

I use this for canning small batches.

I seem to recall it was recommended on the food in jars website or the cookbook. I do like the cookbook quite a bit, as there are only two of us (usually) here as well, but I sometimes just want to use what I have without a recipe and want to make it safely and reliably.

1 Like

I take it back, not the Ball recipe. This one, though I used less water and sugar. https://www.savorymomentsblog.com/2020/05/small-batch-rhubarb-freezer-jam.html

Thank you!

Perhaps not relevant, but I think something like this is what I was thinking of.

Principle of Preservation by Sugar

I can’t really comment on the CI recipe, because I didn’t see the link.
As for pepper jelly, I feel your frustration. Sometimes I adjust the heat with a little tabasco, or some chili flakes. But you don’t want to mess with the quantity of fresh peppers too much, because they are low acid, and the safety of the preserve depends on the proportion of peppers to vinegar.
Nice pot!

1 Like

Understood and thank you!
I was inspired to make (finish) a tiny batch of Blenheim Apricot jam from this year’s handful from my tree. No pectin. I think it could use more reducing for texture, but I don’t want to lose the fresh flavor, or have it be too sweet. I won’t worry about canning.

I will have a lot more pluots ( Flavor Grenade) to deal with.

Wow! I’ve been asking the same question for years!

3 Likes

I found this on the Pepper Jelly thread.

1 Like

It’s an auspicious day today, I sensed it first thing upon awakening! OMG I am VINDICATED as to my jam making practices!! A relief to know I haven’t been poisoning friends and relatives for the past few decades! After being excoriated up thread. LOL :joy: Thanks for posting @shrinkrap!

1 Like

Black raspberry!

I picked a couple quarts of these prized local delicacies, intending to make ice cream, but had a little quantity leftover, so I made jam. I haven’t jammed these before so this is a first for me. They have to be de-seeded, and the only way I can do that is by pressing them by hand through a sieve with a wooden spoon (ugh!) but the results are worth it :slight_smile: (I have a food mill but the screens that came with it have holes too big for berry seeds.)

black raspberry jam june 22

10 Likes

Have made quite a few batches recently:

Strawberry vanilla. Recipe from the Pomona Pectin cookbook: I just split some vanilla pods, mix the caviar in with the sugar, and then leave the pods in the sugar for a few days to infuse the sugar.
Cherry Rhubarb Jam https://foodinjars.com/recipe/sweet-cherry-rhubarb-jam/. I found quite a bit of frozen rhubarb from last year in my freezer: made this to use to it. Very nice flavour.
Strawberry Champagne. Random recipe found on the internet ages ago. Frankly a giant pain, but people love it. Lots of foam from the “champagne” ( I use prosecco!) that needs be skimmed. It can be tricky to get a set, but I am finally got it after all of these years…

2 Likes

@rstuart , that sounds amazing! Glad you are nailing the set. Still drives me nuts with pepper jelly.

I’m making this today, for the first time, and maybe 1/3 recipe, and with grapefruits, orange, blood orange, a lemon, and the first scotch bonnet of the season! Seems more like jelly since there’s no peel.

Recipe says to cook the pectin for an hour! Does that sound okay?

1 Like

It seems like a long time to me!

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

2 Likes

Very pretty jam, and sounds so delicious from your description!

I love those squat jars - so pretty - until it’s time to get the last bits of jam out out of the jar. I tried a few of them one year and found them so vexing that I’ve gone back to boring, old straight sided jars.

2 Likes