Any Jam Makers or Home Canners Out There?

I’ve read about making apple scrap vinegar from the peels and cores. I haven’t tried it yet, but it’s on my bucket list.

2 Likes

What about apple peel chips?

For applesauce, I haven’t bothered to peel apples in years. Chop, cook down, and pass through a food mill to get rid of the peels (and any bits of leftover core).
As for the apple scrap vinegar, I have made some, and it was quite tasty. Takes time to ferment.
One can also extract the pectin from apple scraps, for jams/jellies.

2 Likes

So do the ‘good squirrels’.

I do not feed mine enemies.

1 Like

Oh, help.

Back on Chowhound someone shared with me a recipe for pumpkin jam. I’ve misplaced it. :crying_cat_face:

Does anyone have this in their collection?

ETA: Could it be the DL recipe from @maccrogenoff ?

1 Like

Here you go. I make it with Kabocha squach.

2 Likes

Thank you! As I recall, it was delicious!

Last time I made with Illinois crookneck. This time will be making a small batch with sugar pumpkin.

1 Like

A number of years ago I learned of the fantastic jam/jelly/preserve book Mes Confitures, by Christine Ferber. I highly recommend this book and her methods. For strawberry jam, I add a little ancho chili. For cherry jam, a little rose wine and some Luxardo liqueur. The book inspired me to enhance flavors, and to macerate the fruit overnight with sugar prior to cooking. Small batches of these preserves are absolutely the best way to enjoy both the making process and the later consumption of the jarred sweet, reminding you of summer.

1 Like

David Lebovitz’s pumpkin jam. Here with Small Sugar pumpkin, and the prescribed notes of orange, lemon and vanilla.

Extraordinarily good!

Thanks again to @maccrogenoff for sharing the recipe. I’ll be sure not to lose it this time.

8 Likes

You are very welcome. I adore David Lebovitz and I’m always eager to share recipes.

3 Likes

Just finished a second double-batch of Bandito Salsa, so named because the tomatoes were…ahem…liberated from a nearby field. I think this is either the third or fourth year I’ve made it, and I’m still trying to get a handle on the heat. It seems some of the jalapeños I use are pretty mild, while others are fairly hot.

We ran out of last year’s run about a month ago and have been using commercial salsa at home in the interim. Mrs. ricepad gave me a huge ‘atta boy’ when I finished the first double batch yesterday: “Oh, thank god. That store bought stuff is shit!”

10 Likes

Meyer lemon jelly (no pectin). I used this blog post for inspiration. I didn’t have and couldn’t find any decent-looking Clementine oranges, so I used about 80% Meyer lemon juice and 20% ordinary OJ. I strained everything to get 3 cups and used the full amount of sugar, which was not (contrary to my gut instinct) too much. The recipe makes 4 standard cups.

I’m really happy with the results – very lemony and tart, but sweet enough to use as a jam or glaze. Am adding the recipe to my collection.

5 Likes

When I clean out the berry bin in my freezer I make a ’ cherry and mixed berry’ jam. In years past there has been Flathead cherries, huckleberries, blueberries, home grown currants of different colors, blackberries, strawbs what ever goes in. Always a delicious product. Yesterday at our Costco I saw, and bought a giant jar of Bonne Maman mixed berry jam. Oooh la la! Looks (almost) just like mine!

3 Likes

I caved and ordered the Bonne Maman advent calendar, with all these tiny jars of unique flavors. For someone with 495879487584 jars of homemade jam in the basement, this felt like a somewhat silly purchase, but I couldn’t resist.

5 Likes

Oh i love the look of this.

1 Like

I thought it seemed a great way to use up a glut of lemons.

Another use for the jelly might be popsicles. Serious Eats has a strawberry popsicle recipe which calls for jam, and while I don’t like using as much as they call for, I agree the addition results in a really nice texture. I plan to try a batch of lemon popsicles sometime with little of the jelly added.

1 Like

I’ve been experimenting with citrus jelly too!

1 Like

I got their Advent calendar for my hubs (off eBay - last year’s edition, but I’m sure it’s fine :joy:)

2 Likes

Here’s a link to a bunch of Lebovitz jam and jelly recipes https://www.davidlebovitz.com/category/recipes/jams-jellies-preserves/

4 Likes