Any Jam Makers or Home Canners Out There?

How do you like to use elderberry preserves, besides on toast? I have a jar I haven’t opened.

By the way, how long does a commercial passion fruit curd keep in the fridge. I opened it about 3 months ago. Looks normal but I wasn’t sure if it should be thrown out sooner than jam because of the egg yolk content.

I don’t know anything about spoilage but that sounds absolutely delicious.

1 Like

I would taste the passion fruit curd first, but I think it should be just fine. If it seems to have lost moisture, I’d just whisk in a little water to thin.
As far as your elderberry preserves go, I could see them as a topping for desserts - cheesecake, ice cream, layered into tarts, and such like that. Also, think they would make a pretty delectable stuffed French Toast, or perhaps melted down slightly and warmed for pancake/waffle syrup. I often mix my wild preserves or syrups with a bit of maple syrup, with excellent results. I thought maybe the maple would overwhelm, but interestingly it doesn’t. Still, start with just a little, and if you like it, go from there. I heat the 2 together - yum.

1 Like

Thanks!

100% sealing is a wonderful thing!

What type(s) of Elderberry are you processing, American (Sambucus canadensis) or European (S. nigra) ? I know the American types give off some funky smells while cooking. I made jelly years ago, with American “Adams” and “Johns” cultivars, and the jelly had a bit of that funky elder taste/aroma.

A friend of mine, in Poland, makes an outstanding “juice” extract from the flowers.

2 Likes

Those are the two I grow. I don’t have a sense of smell, but husband commented that I was creating quite a stink during the juicing process, lol. The jelly definitely has a bit of a medicinal flavor, but in a good way - I wouldn’t describe it as funk. I’d like to try growing an European cultivar to see the difference! A friend in eastern Germany has a huge one in her yard and the blossoms are stunning, but I’ve never been there when it was fruiting.

I like elderberry paired with fresh chevre, on a crostini or cracker - it goes really nicely with the goaty tang. Also as a sauce for duck.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Juice=liquour?

We usually had it on toast or PB& J. Once in awhile she’d glaze a pork roast with it.
I don’t keep curds more than a week if homemade and I don’t have any experience with commercial ones.

1 Like

Thanks!

No, he just makes a sweetened drink out of it. However, I’m a big fan of St. Germain and St. Elder, both flavored with elderberry flowers. I have a recipe for the liqueur, but it was given to me by an Italian fellow and it’s all in Italian, which I need translated.

1 Like

Yes! I remember thinking: “this stuff is edible?” The berries do reek while cooking. Raw elderberries are generally considered toxic.

1 Like

Some past their prime peaches in my fridge were transformed into a half batch of this… https://foodinjars.com/recipe/peach-chutney-with-toasted-whole-spices/

3 Likes

And some plums into a plum chutney with cinnamon and coriander, photocopied from a mysterious cookbook some years ago!

2 Likes

First applesauce of the year. I picked about 18 pounds last week, intentionally mixing varieties. I left out red delicious (euw) and maybe one other variety on offer, but all told I probably had 8 different kinds.

This was a small batch, 6-ish pounds of apples, which got me three pints plus a little dish for the fridge.

7 Likes

Ha ha. That photo of the peeler and sheet pan is so familiar. Do you have access to deer? They love this part…

1 Like

I can’t believe I peeled them by hand with a knife for so many years.

1 Like

I’ve read about making apple scrap vinegar from the peels and cores. I haven’t tried it yet, but it’s on my bucket list.

2 Likes

What about apple peel chips?

For applesauce, I haven’t bothered to peel apples in years. Chop, cook down, and pass through a food mill to get rid of the peels (and any bits of leftover core).
As for the apple scrap vinegar, I have made some, and it was quite tasty. Takes time to ferment.
One can also extract the pectin from apple scraps, for jams/jellies.

2 Likes