Any Jam Makers or Home Canners Out There?

Garlic is a problem in oil, but pickled with vinegar it’s perfectly safe. I think homemade sun dried tomatoes in a spiced oil would be ok too. Something I will have to check out though.

1 Like

Pepper jelly is so good, think I’ll put it on the list & will use red peppers.

I have a Blenheim tree, although I didn’t fruit this year. I’d love to know what you get! It was a different kind of spring where I am.

My town made its name with onions and fruit during WW2

Dried onions: Basic ingredient in K-rations

Solano’s Rich Fruit Sections From: History of Solano County, California

tomato jam, we like this the nyt recipe and I found you a printable copy.

marinated garlic, we braise garlic cloves in grapeseed oil and a blend of Italian spices along with a red pepper in each jar. packed super tight in jars and sealed in the water bath.

2 Likes

That looks good; Anybody want to talk about pectin? We may have discussed it on another thread.
But that was more about jelly, and not jam.

I’ve never tried to make my own but always have a jar of this product in the cupboard:

Thanks @Rooster - I wonder if the braising is what changes the usual concern about oil and garlic.

It’s our Aunts method. We have never had an issue with spoilage.

1 Like

Ok Rooster, here you go; recipes adapted from Serious Eats.

V 1 Chinese Plum Sauce

2 lbs plums, pitted and chopped (I use Green Gage)
     1/2 cup good cider vinegar
      1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed 
      1/4 cup soy sauce
      3 Tablespoons freshly grated ginger* ( I usually double the 
      amount & often put whole slices in there too)
      2-4 garlic cloves, minced, with whole slices if desired
      1 Star Anise pod
       Red and green jalapeño, sliced on the angle ( use according to 
       the heat you want) maybe 1/2 - 1 cup, deveined & seeded if you  
        want it milder

Put all in a large pot and cook down until it's the consistency 
          you want

Ladle into hot sterilized jars and process in a water bath for ten 
           minutes. 

So for years I’ve tried to duplicate a bottled or canned sauce I used to buy at the Asian stores. I was never able to achieve that color I wanted.
But last year I had an epiphany and nailed it. I simply used the recipe above & put all white or light ingredients (duh, took awhile :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) Here is what I did:

V 2 Chinese plum sauce:

2 lbs plums, pitted and chopped ( these must be a light green or yellow to get the right color)

1/2 cup good quality white vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce (I used 3 crabs brand, Red Boat too strong)
3-6 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger, plus a few coin size slices
2 garlic cloves, minced, plus slices, if desired
1 star anise
1/2 - 1 cup sliced green and red jalapeños
Few Sichaun pepper corn, tied in cheesecloth

Cook in a large pot until you reach the consistency you want. Ladle in hot sterilized jars and put in the water bath for a 10 minute process.

Notes: I do all my jar sterilizing in the dishwasher, just time everything
To be ready at approximately the right time
Fill your water bath canner with hot water to avoid thermal shock when you put the jars in
I wear a pair of those stretchy gloves with plastic/rubber on the bottom side - these really save my hands when canning & you can get a great grip when putting the rings on the jar

Things I use these for: gifts, potsticker dipping sauce (usually put sesame oil in or Doctor it a bit for flavor profile I want) it’s excellent to top Brie with, warm & then sprinkle with chopped toasted macadamias - lots of other ways too, basting pork on grill, poured over pork or chicken in the oven, etc

Just message me if you have any questions and good luck!

Oops, sorry for the crappy looking V 1. the perfectionist in me wants to redo it, but I will leave it as is. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Checked yesterday at my favorite little green market. They had some from Ca, but neither the box nor the fruit sticker mentioned the variety. Even the manager didn’t know. It’s possible the harvest was very small, considering your tree didn’t fruit. Apricots are tricky & a bit fickle with weather.

1 Like

I’ll talk pectin with you. Sure Jell Light is what I use, but typically cut down on the amount sugar beyond what they say & I also sometimes cut down on the pectin. I use it so I won’t have too cook the berries too long. I get a fresher flavor and better color in this way. But that’s just me. I’ll cook certain things down though, like apples or even some peaches.

2 Likes

Wow! This is super helpful. I’m going to pantry shop first and then return with questions. Many thanks.

1 Like

Correction to my post upthread; the fab pepper relish recipe comes in the Sure Gel Light package, not the MCP. Sorry for the error.

1 Like

My Aunt makes apple pectin in batches that we add to jams and jellies that dont gel easily rather than powdered pectin.

edit to add, my Aunts notes

7 tart apples
4 cups water
2 T fresh lemon juice

Cut the apples into quarters, it’s not necessary to peel or core them. Combine with water and lemon juice in a large stainless steel or enamel pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain the mixture through a sieve or place solids in a wet piece of cheesecloth and hang it over a bowl for 6-12 hours to strain. Ladle the liquid into hot jars and process for 10 minutes in a water bath.

For each cup of finely chopped low pectin fruit, add 1 cup of homemade apple pectin and ¾ cup of granulated sugar. Combine the fruit, apple pectin, and sugar into a stainless steel saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice if you are using a low acid fruit. Stir frequently. Bring your mixture to a boil over high heat and boil rapidly, uncovered, until the mixture forms a gel about 10 to 15 minutes.

1 Like

Nice ideas from Saveur

Made some peach rhubarb jam this weekend. Peeled the peaches, chopped everything, and boiled with some sugar and a healthy splash of bourbon that I keep some vanilla beans in.

5 Likes

I think I can smell it!
bitmoji-20190701090517

The birds got most of my nectarines (does anyone use pecked fruit?), but I have some pluots , then figs coming on.

2 Likes

We overpicked cherries as usual this year. Our u-pick place is 3+ hrs drive away, so we always feel like we need to pick a lot. 60 lbs this year, about 1/3 rainier and 2/3 bing. Knowing we can’t eat it all before it spoils, we have made a few pints of yellow cherry/lime/jalapeno preserves, and plan to do some bing/lemon/red wine preserves later today. I don’t use pectin, so I make sure everything is tart.

3 Likes

Today my poor suffering husband and I are going to bed late again, jamming. Tayberry jam, and strawberry jam. No fancy add ins. But if I had a vanilla bean, I might’ve tossed it in with the strawberries…

6 Likes