Any Cookware You Leave on the 'Top?

Is there any pot or pan you leave out on the cooktop when not cooking?

If so, why? Frequency/Ease of use? Aesthetics/Decor? Lack of storage? Or is it just your favorite?

I used to avoid this, out of habit with the woodstove (frequently on anyway). But lately, I’ve been keeping a skillet on a hob 24/7.

Hanging nearby doesn’t count.

Thanks.

Yep the Skillet we use to cook Eggs stays on the Stove Top most of the Time. No reason except lazy.

2 Likes

The only cookware we keep on our gas stove top are pots and pans and lids that have been washed - they sit there to dry and then are put away. We have very little counter space.

3 Likes

Lodge cast iron frying pan, age 46 years. Because we use it every day or so. Same for 1.5 quart copper sauced pan. Both are hard to store and are used very frequently.

3 Likes

Yeah. Definitely 1 of the 2 pots [1.5 quarts sauce ppt and 2.0 quarts pot] is always on the stove (just because I use them so often). Sometime the frying pan too. If you ask me 10 years ago, then I would have said a wok. I was using a wok every meal for a long time, but I have been slowly shifting my cooking style.

Frying pans with handles protruding over the touch controls to prevent a certain cat from walking on the controls and turning on everything. And yes, there’s a lock/unlock button on the keypad. He steps on that, too.

I just realized that since it’s an induction stove, I should put copper pans with long handles on the burners. That way, even if he does evade the barricades, the burners won’t turn on. Unfortunately, the oven and the warming zone still will …

My three cast iron skillets stacked together, because they’re heavy and I lack storage. Also I never use the griddle area where they sit.

We have the storage space, but my PIC likes to leave out our smallest pot & pan (clean) on the stove top for reasons I will never understand. I suppose it’s more convenient than having to bend over and grab them from the cabinet, but… eh.

ETA: Having just thrown out my back I have a new appreciation for this habit :joy: :woozy_face:

1 Like

Once I hit “deep fry mode”, I leave the dutch oven and oil on the cooktop until Mrs. ricepad can stand it no longer, at which point she’ll harangue me to clean the oil and put the DO away. Until then, though, I’ll make tostadas, tempura, kara age, and other tasty deep fried bits and bobs. I can usually get away with a couple of months before she gets tired of it sitting out.

If it were up to me, I would leave the rice cooker out on the counter every day of the year. I use it 3-5 times a week.

2 Likes

My two 100 year-old CI skillets…because I wash them by hand, wipe them with paper towels, and put them on the stovetop to dry completely before I stow them.

Roomie loves cooking with them so they inevitably get used before I can put them away.

2 Likes

The Russell Hobbs kettle always sits beside the stove. The last carbon steel pan(s) I used is (are) dried on the burner(s) and usually stays (stay) there until the next time I cook. That includes the wok.

2 Likes

My electric kettle stays right beside the stove. So does an older iPad on a stand, but for different reasons. :eyes:

1 Like

White enameled LC Tea Kettle, because I use it daily and it looks nice. Actually, I bought it so I could leave it out.
One of the LC Dutch Ovens is usually out as well. This is mostly for aesthetics, and I switch it up with the seasons. This gets used as well.

The old tea kettle is always on the stovetop because it gets used every day, not necessarily for tea.

We have an electric kettle that sits on a counter at the opposite end of the kitchen from our cook top. In a previous kitchen, the kettle sat next to the cooktop with the toaster and tea/coffee making paraphernalia. One morning I caught my mother-in-law putting the plastic bottomed electric kettle on a lit gas burner to heat up - I freaked out and grabbed it from her. She was offended and we never did make things right. I never enjoyed that woman.

4 Likes

This is all your fault. You obviously should have let the house burn down.

I’ve had a MIL, from a previous marriage. Sometime I’ll share the story of her fleet of Yorkshire terriers shi!!ing all over the white shag carpet and me being blown up in the minefield. As you might guess, also all my fault.

4 Likes

I was always afraid that I’d do this in an early morning sleep stupor - but I never did. As some of my peeps say, OY!!

2 Likes

3 Likes

LOL. I have a Deruta-ish spoon rest, too.

Yep…cheap knock-off from SLT. I’ll bet, however, you do not have a peeled tomato can to hide the Luxardo cherries from your autistic family member who will eat the entire jar if it is out when he visits! I figure it is about $6 a bite for him!

2 Likes