2 Likes

Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain
opens in theatres on July 16, 2021

from CBS Sunday Morning on July 11 -

4 Likes

a replay from 2016, 35-minutes long - -

1 Like
1 Like

Iā€™ve given this some thought and concluded that because the fake voice is reading Bourdainā€™s real words, itā€™s okay. But the filmmakers also should have disclosed it, just as documentaries routinely reveal that incidents were re-enacted for the purposes of the film.

I would have no issue with this if they had simply disclosed it - a simple crawl or caption at the bottom of the screen during the 3 times the AI voice was pretending to be AB would have sufficed. But having NOT disclosed it - it taints the documentary a bit for me. Although Iā€™ll still watch it if I can in the theatre prior to going to HBO Max, which I donā€™t have.

1 Like

FWIW, I read that CNN also plans to air the documentary though I havenā€™t yet seen any details.

1 Like

Thx for that infoā€¦fingers crossed they do!

1 Like

My first problem with it is that the Director, in several interviews, seems to be indicating that there are more instances of this & he didnā€™t disclose the others. Secondly, I donā€™t like another door of ā€œfakeā€ being opened. Even if this one is totally faithful to the original words, others will definitely not be. Cant wait for the 1st political ad photoshopping someone into an important meeting and making statements while there. Its no wonder why so many folks cant discern whatā€™s real anymore and are content labelling anything they donā€™t agree with as ā€œfake newsā€. Real life Forrest Gump times.

1 Like

I donā€™t recall seeing anything about undisclosed audio manipulation in the film, but Iā€™ll take your word for it, and I agree that itā€™s troubling. But the deepfakes door has been open for a while. To perhaps somewhat assuage your fears, there are ways to detect them. Iā€™m not too worried about political content being faked, since itā€™s already pretty common, albeit not very sophisticated - remember slowed-down Nancy Pelosi? - and thereā€™s a small army of citizen and professional journalists who are very quick to call bullshit when they see it.

What troubles me more is that people will be able to claim something is a deepfake when itā€™s not. Think of how useful THAT would be to certain people caught on tape saying or doing things theyā€™d rather not cop to.

2 Likes

I agree. Helen Rosnerā€™s New Yorker piece is good reading The Ethics of a Deepfake Anthony Bourdain Voice

ā€œNo Reservationsā€ is on all day on Direct TV Friday. Itā€™s on the Cooking Channel 232 on DTV.

Yes, BoneAppetite linked to it upthread. Sheā€™s right that people have an emotional attachment to Bourdain thatā€™s probably coloring their reaction. And I would add that non-fiction film presents a set of challenges due to the impossibility of objectivity, so - especially as technology advances - we keep having to ask how much fakeness is too much. Because no documentary is zero percent fake.

1 Like

New yorker on Roadrunner back in July. I havenā€™t seen it.

1 Like
2 Likes

Mark Wiens on YouTube -

NEW JERSEY, USA - When I was in New Jersey, I decided to go on the official Anthony Bourdain Food Trail (https://visitnj.org/anthony-bourdain). Itā€™s a designated food tour featuring 10 different restaurants that were featured on Anthony Bourdainā€™s New Jersey episode of Parts Unknown.

3 Likes