Another cookbook thread

I was rearranging bookshelves and found my mother’s old The Gold Cookbook, circa 1950. Has anybody heard of it? She considered it to be the high end recipe book in her repertoire. I remember she made turkey tetrazzini from it once, and while it was delicious, she said it took her the whole entire day to make it. It’s by ‘Master Chef Louis P. De Gouy’. Anybody heard of him?
The introduction is by Oscar of the Waldorf, if that rings a bell for anybody. In looking through it, it’s full of game references and descriptions and recipes for things we wouldn’t cook today, whale for instance. Typical for the old school books.

1 Like

Amazing book!! Teaching you how to not mindlessly follow a recipe. Rather create intuitively your own stuff following a few simple principles.

2 Likes

Isn’t this the one that has numbered recipes
instead of page numbers?

1 Like

Yes! On my mother’s shelf. I remember her laughing with friends over the name Louis P. De Gouy😂. Do not remember her making recipes from it, must have been a gift.

2 Likes

It has both names and numbers for the recipes- thanks for pointing that out. I hadn’t noticed that, so I looked, and you’re quite right.