American-style meatloaf

When you don’t have meat drippings, this doesn’t suck…https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/219091/chef-johns-mushroom-gravy/

2 Likes

Isn’t a meatloaf sans pan essentially a rectangular meatball?

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter, it’s patè as far as I’m concerned. Just don’t go putting oatmeal in it like my grandmother did. I don’t like it soaked in it’s own fat so I bake it freeform.l

3 Likes

Using oatmeal as a binder was pretty much standard in the middle of the country.
I’ve never soaked bread in milk to use as a lot of recipes recommend. Maybe oatmeal and grandmothers are just a force of nature.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

My key for a binder in meatloaf is (wait for it) … sea cucumbers. Rehydrated, blended and incorporated gently into the meat.

Great as a binder and increases moistness, and mouthfeel. And tasteless.

Win, win. And win!

3 Likes

Yes. But it IS crustier. I like the browned crust, so nowadays I usually make log-shaped frikadellen in a saute pan rather than meatloaf in a pan.

Controversial. Pâté is more paste, no? I’d go with terrine if I had to choose.

Still, remembering how globally widespread chopped/ground meat pushed together and cooked is a thing should move this discussion beyond American style. Like, where do you all come down on frikadel?

2 Likes

No, not necessarily. I make a pate de campagne in a loaf tin and it’s quite chunky.

3 Likes

Only under the loosest possible definitions.

1 Like

All of ^^^THAT^^^.

I’ve made meatloaf “free form”, or in a loaf pan without the drain on the bottom (pouring out any excess halfway through if needed) or in a loaf pan with the drain in the bottom.

I prefer my “fresh meatloaf” to be a bit on the moister side, so when it’s used for sandwiches the next day, it still has a bit of that moistness vs. just a slice of formed beef and pork.

I use a combination of ground beef and ground pork; but sometimes I’ll get a package of “meat loaf mix” from the supermarket (equal parts ground beef, pork and veal) and add a bit more beef, depending on the size of the loaf I’m making. I sometimes even squeeze in sausage from casings and mush it up really well.

Add-ins are usually an egg, Worcestershire sauce, Panko breadcrumbs, dried herbs/spices, maybe some caramelized onions or roasted garlic, even some applesauce for moisture if I don’t want to use Worcestershire sauce. It’s whatever I’m feeling like at the time. Toppings are NEVER EVER ketchup. Didn’t grow up with it that way and I just don’t like the look of it. If not used IN the meatloaf, I’ve spread caramelized onions on top (or the roasted garlic) and most often, I schmear a homemade plum ketchup (Eating Well recipe) on top, which adds a nice flavor. (The Plum ketchup is also good on the meatloaf sandwiches.) On very rare occasions, I’ll take out some frozen homemade gravy to use on a more plain meatloaf.

As for the sides? They are almost always creamy mashed potatoes and peas. Because that’s what my Mom always did, and it’s a nice way to remember her.

My sister, on the other hand, no longer eats red meat, so hers are always made with ground turkey. I’ve had to encourage her to use more spices/herbs/flavorings to give it a bit more oomph, as it can be rather plain without.

Meatloaf, to me, is not a recipe. It’s an “open the cabinets and see what works together depending on what’s calling you at that very moment” type of meal.

And now I want meatloaf. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Fond memories of your visit and getting to meet you and the spousal unit, John (along with @GretchenS!)

5 Likes

Good read! Im curious; what makes plum ketchup OK, but not ketchup?

5 Likes

Here’s the recipe for Plum Ketchup. I just prefer the sweet, tangy spiciness of it vs. the tomato-based ketchup flavor.

2 Likes

Good grief. Just how big are plums in the US? That recipe wants 1.5lbs of them, suggesting that’ll be 5 or 6 medium ones. I’d need getting on for a dozen of the size we have in the UK to make that weight.

3 Likes

Black plums (which I prefer to use in this recipe) can be quite large - so yes, 6 of them (I always use 8 plums to the rest of the ingredients) would be appropriate for this recipe. I prefer the Black Beauty or Black Splendor plums as noted in this link:

4 Likes

Thank you! You are reminding me to use the two jars I still have from last year. It was my first time making it after I was “gifted” with a few pounds of plums.

Uh oh…Caught up in a loop of plum posts.

I don’t make meatloaf often but I find one meatloaf easier than fifty meatballs. Salisbury Steak is sort of a compromise between the two.

Loving the types of plums link.

2 Likes

Yes and yes. Based on this thread, wfd tonight is meatloaf! I used to bake it in a bread loaf pan, but realized after a couple of times it always did end up sitting and cooking in its juices. Nothing wrong with that, but I like the caramelization that happens with free form. Crunchy outside, moist inside. So now I do it that way. Meatballs will of course give you much more of that textural contrast, but they’re a lot more work to roll and fry (my method).

Also, for reasons unclear, my meatballs are almost always only meat, egg, some type of starch binder (just a bit), and onion/garlic. Whereas my meat loaf is the kitchen sink, including all of the above but more starch, Worcestershire, mustard or ketchup or bbq (inside and as a glaze) and plenty of sauteed minced veg. Usually mirepoix plus red bell pepper. Often the starch binder is crumbs at the bottom of a cereal box or a potato chip bag. As long as what you put in is flavorful, it is as good a vehicle to use up odds and ends as anything.

6 Likes

One of these times, I’ll put together a meatloaf on tin foil and try to smoke it. Anyone done that before? I bet it would be delicious.

6 Likes

I never have but googling brings up hundreds.
Definitely report back. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s like everything else. Everything in America is bigger! Including the people. :joy:

The variety of standard plums we have in the states is 2-3 times bigger than the types I remember from Europe. At the farmers market we go to, they often have what they call Italian plums that are on an inch or so across. Very nice contrast to the often tasteless larger American variety breed for its ability to be shipped long distances.

5 Likes