American-style meatloaf

I make a bbq very similar to that. Make a lattice of bacon that I wrap around Italian sausage meat and smoke. It’s phenomenal.

5 Likes

I will. It may be a minute, since we are doing meatloaf tonight but I’m not mentally prepared to do it in the smoker…

3 Likes

I Germany “Falscher Hase” Fake Rabbit. Bacon Wrapped and Egg Stuffed

7 Likes

I’m pretty meh on plums in the US. Pluots, however, can be absolutely transcendent. @Harters do you guys have pluots? They’re a plum/apricot hybrid, and come in a dozen or more varieties, with fun names like flavor grenade and dino heart. I rarely see them at the grocery store, but they are find-able in farmers markets. California has a particular abundance, in my experience.

3 Likes

I’d never heard of them so had to Google. Trees are on sale for home planting but it doesnt look as though there is commercial growing.

Too bad. Perhaps they need a hotter climate to thrive. Next trip across the pond, you should look for them here. They are delightful. But it’s seasonal. I would say July through Sept.

1 Like

Agreed ×100! I just made some pluot shrub because it’s hard not to buy (or grow) too many!

1 Like

I’ve also made meatloaf in an air fryer…using the fry basket allows for a crust without the fat bath

6 Likes

That is a gadget I don’t own. Yet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wont go into detail lest someone split us off into a separate convo, but I didn’t think I’d use it when I was gifted one but I rather like it. Not as much as my instant pot but handy to have

1 Like

I don’t have an IP or crockpot either! But I did in the past 3 months buy a major ice cream maker (the kind that you don’t have to freeze the bowl in advance) and a soda stream. So I am at my gadget allotment for awhile. Not to mention who has the space!

3 Likes

As promised - writeup in the WFD thread.

3 Likes

This ‘Wichcraft (Tom Colicchio’s sandwich shop) sandwich used to be our guilty pleasure lunch at work for a while.

The meatloaf itself is very good, and the tomato relish helped the bread not dilute the flavor punch.

5 Likes

I am not a ground turkey fan, but if combined 1:1 with 80/20 ground beef, it’s a good meatloaf mix.

2 Likes

Served hot?

Yes

1 Like

On the presumption that the enjoyment of food can be as much about the situation in which you eat it, as the food itself, my absolute best ever meatloaf sandwich was bought from a deli in Frederick, Maryland.

It was good bread, with a tasty juicy meatloaf and a pickle or two. We ate it looking out over the Antietam battlefield site. Spine tingling.

2 Likes

I could work with that (especially using 80/20 ground beef).

I’ve taken to using that mix as well. It makes the texture just a little bit denser and holds together much better in sandwiches.

2 Likes

It’s chilly and rainy here and my DH is making meatloaf this afternoon. He uses 1 lb ground beef, 1 lb ground pork and 1 lb ground veal. He sautés diced onion, celery and green pepper. Binds it with eggs, Panko and milk. Adds fresh parsley, thyme and chives. Plenty of salt and pepper. The ketchup-based glaze is sweet and sour with brown sugar and balsamic vinegar. We grew yellow wax beans this year, so we’re having that as a side with mashed potatoes. I’m gaining weight just thinking about it.

As I said above, he forms them into 3 casual loaves and bakes them on a parchment lined sheet pan.

9 Likes