All the things you do with beets

Psychedelic matzo balls.

1 Like

I have too many photos of food with beetroots. Here are only a couple…

Austrian dumplings with scrambled eggs (“Eiernockerln”

With melted butter and breadcrumbs (also Austrian)

As a marinade

Before slicing the salmon

Asparagus

Raw, shaved.

In rice paper rolls

I even put them on pann cotta

You almost never run out of ideas for beetroots.

6 Likes

I think I would enjoy Russian food. There are many ingredients in Russian cuisine that I like.

With feta. Cubed and use in pasties/pies with other root vegs.

In German cuisine it’s very common to mix beetroots with cream together with herrings. I eat it every week.

Pancakes

Golden beetroot Rösti

This is the bread

I used wonton skins for these

Faux “beef” tartare

Pasta and risotto

With or in mashed

3 Likes

Aside from the many great suggestions already,

This indian beet stir-fry / pachadi - grind together half the spices with the yogurt and coconut.

This warm beet salad - the preserved lemon and yogurt make it; skip the tempering and the chicory.

Slowly stewed with potatoes or lamb, indian spices (aromatics, tomato, cumin, coriander, chilli powder).

(Now I’m craving beets!)

1 Like

Sliced on top of burgers. Very Australian, I gather. But it is nice.

We always have a pack of pre-cooked long life beetroot in the fridge. Perfect for slicing into your favourite red cabbage preparation. Goes very well with anything piggy.

Shredded along with onion for a pickle. We’re currently eating the 2018 vintage. Should have put more beetroot into it.

2 Likes

I just used a generic pickling recipe (vinegar, salt, sugar, water - don’t think I even added any spices, I know I didn’t add any garlic or pickling spices since I just opened my last jar and it was just beets). I peeled them raw and sliced thinly (no cooking). We were actually just talking that we needed to buy some last beets of the season (if I can find any local anymore) so we had some going forward (we didn’t do the CSA this year).

2 Likes

The first photo of “dumplings” look more like spaetzle than the meatball looking dumplings which were featured in your recipe above.

I ate a lot of Russian food growing up, but my husband isn’t a huge fan. He doesn’t like how everything is pickled and preserved, and prefers his produce closer to its natural fresh form. Climate though… Some parts of the world need to pickle and preserve due to a short growing season.

There are many types of dumplings. Spaetzle is long and thin, a bit like noodles. The little ones in the first photo are called “Knöpfle”, little buttons. The “buttons” form when passed through a sieve with holes.

Ball-shaped types are most popular everywhere in Austria, especially in the Alps.

2 Likes

Shred them into latkes

1 Like

Not me, but the Asian restaurant we went to on Wednesday evening - added to the usual spiced potato in a Mysore masala dosa.

Goggle suggests this isnt the normal Mysore dosa which is different from the basic one by the addition of a very poky red chilli chutney. The beetroot must be the restaurant’s own twist as it doesnt seem to be a traditional feature of the Mysore one.

BY the by, we have tried to make dosa at home and failed miserably. Not a one was edible.

I guess I’m pretty basic in my beet prep. Wrap them in foil and roast them whole. Slip off the peel when done and slice or dice and enjoy as is or chill and use in other dishes

That’s my MO also. But there are lots of good ideas above, which I look forward to trying soon.

1 Like

They’re great in smoothies with a few raspberries, yogurt and ice. Peel and chunked up, raw, if your blender can handle it. About 1/2 medium beet and a cup of fresh or frozen raspberries. If you have a spiralizer, raw beets are great and look cool atop a salad. Or grated, raw on a salad. I have a recipe for beet and coconut milk soup that’s delicious and strangely addictive. Will see if I can find a link or my recipe & post later.

Roasted 1 hour in foil at 400F.
Peeled and dressed with Meyer lemon, EVOO, cumin, spoon of brown sugar or honey.

Or, drizzled with creme fraiche/horseradish mix, then scattering of smoked trout.

4 Likes

My sister made a beet and orange relish this year for Thanksgiving. She served it on plain, sweet butter covered dry matzo crackers. tasty and simple.

2 Likes

I usually make vegetarian borscht.

I have ordered Herring under a Fur Coat at a Russian restaurant in London, but I haven’t made it yet.

The Bistro Cooking at Home cookbook has a nice beet side dish calling for orange juice, ginger and tarragon.

1 Like

I love making beet and citrus salads. The sweet acidity really plays well with the earthy beets

4 Likes

Do you add a dressing/marinade?

Yes. A citrus based light dressing

1 Like

I buy Beets mostly because I like to use the Greens. :relaxed:

Then I need to find things to do with the beets…

Yellow Beet “Carpaccio” - Golden Beets, Lemon, Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper, Chives, Thyme

Roast drizzled w/olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme sprigs in pan covered with foil. Cool, peel, slice thin, plate & drizzle w/lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper, garnish w/thyme leaves & chives. The recipe calls for sunflower sprouts & sunflower seeds. I think crushed pistachios & goat cheese would be good too, but I didn’t have any of it, so.

Brother’s Prods. Pickled Turnips

4 Likes