All-Encompassing Term for Pancakes, Waffles, and French Toast?

Only when it wants to be.

1 Like

Pain perdu, the French name for French toast, is a dessert or afternoon snack.

Not to be confused with things like Lion cereal, which is far more suitable for breakfast beecause
?

Because it says so on the box, obviously.

so then why disparage another culture’s idea of what and what is not breakfast food?

Pancakes and waffles are sweet. Yep.
They’re not anyone’s idea of what should be consumed on a daily basis
and who gets to make the decision of what should and should not be eaten for breakfast? (I could bring up plenty of other cultures who eat things for breakfast that I don’t consider breakfast, but I also don’t consider myself as having the right to say so.)

6 Likes

When she keeps crying out “Ouai, Ouai, plus vite!”

Mais monsieur, les gens de Québec mangent pain perdu pour le petit-déjeuner, et ils sont français.

Avec le sirop d’érable pas moins.

2 Likes

In Sweden pancakes are not breakfast food, they are a dessert.

Swedish breakfast typically looks like this:

Smoked fish egg spread.

Or this

Cheese & mystery meat.

Or this

Liver snassage with cucumber.

Getting back to crepes vs pannkakor, the batter for Swedish Pancakes has a little more milk and flour, and a little less egg than a crepe batter. But otherwise the ingredients in the batter are the same.

Basic Recipe for Swedish Pancakes from Rutiga Kokboken ICA (the bible of Swedish cooking):

Ingredients

2.5 dl of wheat flour

1 teaspoon salt

6 dl milk

2 eggs

(1 tsp sugar optional)

Butter for frying

Whisk together flour and salt with half the milk.

Add the rest of the milk and whisk to a completely smooth batter. Beat the eggs one at a time.

Heat a frying pan with a little butter. Pour a thin layer of batter. When the surface is dry, it is time to turn the pancake. Cook for another minute.

Swedish Pancakes are invariably eaten as a dessert course with jam or berries. Sometimes rolled, but most usually folded into quarters. Berries or jam on the side.

They are an indispensable adjunct to the Yellow Pea Soup with Salt Pork served on Thursdays throughout Sweden.

Photo is a typical serving with lingon berry jam and whipped cream:

Finally, I have no idea what the eff they were serving on the effing cruise ship, but it does not sound Swedish to me.

When did I do that? I stated that the foods listed in this thread were not meant to be eaten as breakfast foods. That is a statement of fact. It is in no way a judgement. North-Americans have adopted them as breakfast foods. I have nothing against that. I’ve eaten my share of pancakes, french toast and waffles for breakfast. I’ve also had birthday cake, pizza, cookies, butter tarts, doughnuts
 I’m in no position to judge anyone’s food choices and I never pretended that I was. I’m sorry if you took what I wrote as some sort of insult, but it was not meant that way.

1 Like

You did it with your comments about Americans. That it’s somehow less acceptable, what those stupid fucking Americans have done to the culture of the table.

It’s simply what some (SOME
not all, and not every day for anyone) choose to eat for the first meal of the day.

“Should” and “meant to be” are constructs of YOUR opinions and it would be nice to have at least one corner of the internets that isn’t split into us and them and wrong and right. Hate the chow, not the chowhound
excellent advice regardless of the site that issued it

Don’t want to eat waffles for breakfast? That’s cool. Taking entire continents to task for eating something that you don’t care to consume first thing? Not so much.

3 Likes

I’m not looking for an argument and, as I wrote in my earlier reply, I’m not judging anyone’s food choices. If you insist on being pissed off by what you perceive as an insult even though it isn’t, that’s on you. I have no wish to discuss this any further.

Indeed. My mom used to make us French toast for weekend breakfast or even for lunch. But we’re not French. Our ancestors came from France and we speak French, but we are Quebecois. Our culture is North-American and has a strong British influence. We eat more like the British and Americans than like the French.

Êtes-vous sĂ»r de ne pas ĂȘtre considĂ©rĂ© comme un discours de trahison au QuĂ©bec?

Si j’étais vous, je vĂ©rifierais rĂ©guliĂšrement ma porte pour les sacs de merde en flammes.

1 Like

No, it’s your opinion, not a fact. Just because you don’t think it should be eaten as a breakfast food doesn’t mean it’s a fact.

2 Likes

Well, I look forward to reading the many references you’ll be posting that prove that waffles, pancakes and French toast were intended as breakfast foods. Because everything I’ve ever read points to these being invented as snacks or desserts.

The way people choose to eat them has nothing to do with what they were intended for. And, as I’ve written before in this thread, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with eating them for breakfast. I do it all the time.

On p. 47 of Breakfast: A History, you’ll find a reference to pancakes being prepared and eaten for breakfast by the ancient Greeks.

https://books.google.com/books?id=5LghYCqDJw8C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_atb#v=onepage&q=pancakes&f=false

1 Like

One down, two to go.

Is there a reason for your hostility?

1 Like

Have you read this thread? I make an off the cuff observation that’s meant to be humorous and all I get is a bunch of knee jerk reactions and people taking my words out of context.

And, for the record, I don’t think I’m being hostile.

1 Like

Alors MG, quel est le choix préféré de la viande de petit déjeuner au Québec?