A jar of lemon curd

I bought lemon curd thinking it would be useful as a jam on toast substitute but I am hoping you have better ideas.
Thanks, Rooster

On toast or in scones or sponge cake is the obvious starting point. We’ve currently got a jar (farm shop purchase). The intent is to make a meringue roulade. meringue shaped into an oblong, heavily spread with the curd and a topping pf whipped cream, then rolled. At least, that’s Mrs H’s plan.

4 Likes

I’m a fan of lemon curd desserts, though I typically make my own so I’m not sure how a jar compares - but I’m assuming they are similar.

Pastry crust - topped with lemon curd then topped with fresh strawberries - delicious

If you find the lemon curd too tart for this, you can always mix it (actually mix or just layer it with) pastry cream or whipped cream. . . .

2 Likes

I like it with ricotta and blueberries on toast. Or also with ricotta and blueberries in oatmeal. If you mix it into whipped cream, it makes an excellent topping for pavlova.

3 Likes

I plan on sharing your dessert suggestion with my wife. Is this dessert has light and airy as it sounds?

Would you share your lemin curd recipe/method?
Your suggestions sound very good and quite simple to do.

Great ideas for breakfast! We typically have those ingredients on hand.

While watering the yard this afternoon, my neighbor suggested lemon curd as a cupcake filling, as a layer in icebox cake and swirled in plain yogurt.

1 Like

I’ve no idea, Dan. She’s not made it before. This is going to be a rare treat - she doesnt often make cakes or desserts as I’m diabetic.

Sure. It is pretty easy - the hardest part is just controlling the temp at the end.

3/4 cup strained lemon juice
8 Tbs unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
6 egg yolks

Wish yolks in a bowl - set aside
Bring lemon juice, butter, sugar to a simmer
Slowly add 1/2 lemon mixture to yolks whisking constantly
Return other half of lemon mixture to simmer and whisk yolk mixture into this
(Essentially you’re tempering the yolks into the mixture - use method you’re most comfortable with)
slowly heat 3-4 minutes whisking, until barely evidence of simmer around edges (if you over heat here eggs will scramble)
Cool for 3 hours covered.

1 Like

Thank you. I will give the recipe a try sometime. It sounds very approachable. It will be fun to compare jarred to homemade.

I hope you enjoy the dessert and report back. Thxs.

Also, google microwaved lemon curd. I use the Allrecipes version. Very easy. Unsure how it compares to Thimes’ technique, but I thought it was good.

1 Like

Appreciate the suggestion but we don’t own a microwave at present. Maybe another HO member can take your advice. Thxs though.

If you felt like making a few crepes and some whip cream that would give you easy makings for a delicious lemon crepe cake!

1 Like

Also mascarpone or cream cheese.

1 Like

I remember my grandmother making a strawberry shortcake using her famous biscuits then a thin layer of lemon curd which i think helped keep the biscuit from getting soggy from the berries. The berries ontop of the lemon curd and then a fantastic blob of hand whipped cream.

2 Likes

I’m not Thimes, but when I want lemon curd I make this “lemon cream” from Pierre Herme - it is FANTASTIC. It’s also a bit easier to make than a more traditional melted butter curd, IMO, because there’s less chance of the emulsion breaking.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. Serious Eats looks like an interesting food site.

I have eaten the lemon curd tart bought from his shop, amazing! There was some lemon confit included.