A friend's recent take on Pepe's in New Haven (CT)

I’ve been to Fortina in Armonk - I love it. And Locali - also great.

1 Like

Guess I’m in the minority on Fortina, I think it is a very nice place especially with a group but I thought the pizza itself was just ok and expensive. I actually prefer Anthony’s coal-fired (a chain) in White Plains, and the lunch specials are a relatively decent value (for upscale pizza) . Also a fan of of Amendolas (in Hartsdale) for slices- almost directly across from F&F.

I never made it to Anthony’s when I worked in WP.

We will need to violently disagree on Anthony’s. After two attempts to give me an edible pizza I finally called it quits at its now defunct Darien CT location. What little I could eat I found to be bad sauce, crappy cheese and flour and water dough. I could not give an opinion on the pepperoni. since it was burnt on both. The entire circumference of the dough was burnt, not charred in places as it is served in Italy, but burnt.

Maybe that is why the went under at that location.

Basically an up-scale sports-bar cum pizza restaurant. I (probably a minority) prefer the food at Anthony’s to that at Fortina, but Fortina is certainly more fun/enjoyable. Prices are comparable,but lunch special pricing brings the advantage to Anthony’s. Anthony’s pies are (as advertised) well-done but in W.P. has always been good imo. Perhaps the Darien location was the Yonkers version of Pepe’s. :smirk:

We can agree to disagree!! Every time I go back to Fortina and take my first bite, I sigh!

Really. I’m going to have to try it then, Gwenn.

Possibly the one in Rye Ridge is less yuppie-fied than Armonk.

rich, is there an Anthony’s that isn’t in downtown WP? I don’t pay to park to eat.

You’ve tried Patsy’s Pizza near Hudson Park, right? It was okay. Who knew lower Westchester could support SO many places making money from pizza.

The vibe in Armonk is really not yuppified - the staff at Fortina is so fun and down to earth. And they know customer service. it is very loud, though. Between the loud music and the big screen tv playing movies - just be aware. In the summer they have outdoor seating.

OK, thanks.

My understanding of the three are they have somewhat different personalities. I have been to Armonk and Stamford, not Rye.

Armonk is a lot of families, 20’s 30’s friends and a smattering of 40-60’s couples. Mid-range noise level, very easy to talk and either a bar area with tables, a separate dining room and then outside seating.

Stamford is a large open spaced, high ceiling lots of noise mainly 20s and 30s and VERY loud.

Rye I inderstand is a little more staid than even Armonk, but have never been.

Wow, I have not found that at all. Sometimes I am actually stunned by the noise level. But I still go back!

SDW (originally SDWW- for wagon) is all about top flight ingredients and toppings. Although I like a good hot dog, to me their is only so much you can do to them and being from NY, add-ons usually consist of mustard and kraut (sometimes relish) and thats it. SDW is a good dog with very good toppings, also burgers and italian sausage. Definitely a place to try- good french-fries also. As to Walter’s- I like them occasionally,but it is more about the appeal of a roadside landmark. Also as I said before, still like the Fairfield Pepe’s and it is just down the road from SDW- definitely would hit up both.

I’ve been to both Armonk and Rye Brook. They are fairly similiar in appeal, perhaps a little less loud in Rye Brook. My guess is the Armonk draws from a larger distance only because people are used to driving to get to a place. Rye Brook still draws ppl. from other towns but I think it gets a much more local crowd over-all. I think Armonk probably tries a little harder to be a community place- more/better/louder. Both are still some of the better modern places in Westchester

Not really a chain, they have investors,but I believe they are all still family owned. However NH, had gone down-hill as the family wars escalated (as far as expansion) and profits needed to increase to support 3rd gen. and more ppl. to divide the profit pie. All of the restaurants exactly duplicate the oven/ingredients, however the Yonkers one (closest to me) is by far the least edible. NH is too far and there is enough other good pizza nearby . I still enjoy Fairfield and while not as much of a revelation as the old NH was years ago,still worth the trip

Have you ever tried Zero Otto Nova? It’s the old Route 22 on old 22- just up the street from what used to be Schultz’s (sigh). Wonder what ever happened to the donut machine from Schultz’s ? The guy who opened rt.22 had bought it and was going to use it,but I think he only ended up renting it out for parties

Armonk is very easy to talk in. All you have to do is bring your own megaphone :slightly_smiling:

I have not been to Zero yet - I may try it but I’m afraid it might attract too many with young kids. A friend went and was not impressed. Ah, Schultz’s. I still miss that place. The veges, the donuts! I loved that they wrote the prices on the brown paper bag and added up your bill that way!

Thank you jfood. Rye sounds okay for me. I don’t like families or kids or noise. And fuggehdabout loud. The only good thing about Stamford is Curley’s Diner, where we go after dropping off my dog for a haircut in Old Greenwich.

Speaking of Rye Ridge, you have obviously heard that D’Agostino (always hated them) will now be a Balducci? Wait for the OUTrageous prices, but the yuppie foods (at least going by NYC, when I worked there) are to die for.

BTW, went to ACME, again, in Rye Brook and I still hate their store. The aisles barely accommodate two carts, their prices are too high, and … as did the store in New Rochelle, where I got in a fight with the manager who is from A&P in New Rochelle and subsequently escalated to the regional manager, with whom I am now in communication, or as my hubby says, my picture is on every bulletin board… they overcharged for a sale item. Remember when A&P used to give you the item for free if you were overcharged at the checkout?

Oh well, I found a good liquor store, and have to find JMF to ask him about some brand names.

Life is good.

rich, if I ever went, I would love to try Pink’s on the west coast.

I make hot dogs, I only buy Sabrett hot dogs, and yet I still pay for hot dogs at Walter’s for the experience of it. So I will definitely try SDW. But you’re right, a hot dog is a hot dog. On the way to ACME today, I passed the hot dog truck on the side road - can’t remember the name - but had to pass it up since I had an Alfajores from the Patisserie on Huguenot Street in New Rochelle and couldn’t eat all that for lunch. It’s supposed to be a good hot dog.

Also, I have curly fries and wings from Uncle Henry’s in Harrison - have you been?

Sheesh, sounds like I don’t cook 365 days a year minus 52.

Boy, I hope you are kidding about Curley’s. I wouldn’t send our candidates for President there, well, maybe a few.

I agree with the Acme rant. The one in New Canaan has taking a downhill store from Food Emporium and increased the velocity to the bottom. I go there for roses and maybe ice cream when it is on super-sale. The aisles are filled with mid-aisle displays, everything has a 2" sticker jutting from the display saying “new low prices” and the end aisle displays are enormous and everywhere.