A friend's recent take on Pepe's in New Haven (CT)

Been to pink’s- very good, but too many variations- I think I went too far (well it is LA) when I tried a dog with guacamole. Simply loved Melrose Blvd. but could definitely not live there- also on west coast- in n out burger I had one of the first mini coopers back in 2002. everyday for months ppl. would ask me about the car. I had installed a license frame from In n out (my brother is in LA). One day somebody had me roll down the window and they asked if I liked mine animal style- I had no idea what they were talking about- it took me a few days to realize they were talking about the “secret menu” from in n out and not about the car

1 Like

There is a Balducci in Scarsdale but it’s not great. The one in Ridgefield was better, but it’s gone. And so is the library that took over the space.

That’s the first I heard of Balducci’s taking the space. The Balducci’s in Scarsdale is one of the closest places to me- Even if I won the lottery,I would rarely shop there. Ridiculous prices on everything . Prepared foods that lack proper seasoning. Ocassionaly I will stop to p/u one item but each time I say never again. I’m surprised this one has lasted (and does well?). I know if I were looking for a high priced spread, I would rather cross the border and go to Citarella!

Sadly, no. We enjoyed Curley’s.

I wanted to like ACME, but I can’t. I’ll stick with Stop and Shop, even though I don’t much like them.

Funny story, rich. Wish I had one of each here nonetheless. I’m too hyper for CA. Went there ages ago and they were super laid back.

I think Shake Shake is the closest we’re going to get to In N Out.

Gwenn, I seriously dislike the Heathcote Balducci and Heathcote in general, and the demise of every restaurant there is evidence that I’m not alone.

rich, I liked it in Manhattan. I’ll give it a try in Rye Ridge, but it won’t be a destination. I forget where I read it is going in there. Never heard of Citarella.

Funny, but we were talking about Jonathan Seagull’s, but around the same time the restaurant at Heathcote was called Barthalemew’s and it was the same owner as JS. I loved it then. It was so pretty. And I was, and still am, a sucker for a good prime rib!

1 Like

I’ve only been to the one in the city,but they were known for the fish, then meat and very good prepared foods. Similar to a Balducci but much better.

Citarella started in the city,mostly fish but now everything. It is not a zabar’s but another NYC store that competes directly with them. The Greenwich CT. store is on the BPR just over the border from Port Chester. The newer DeCicco’s and Fairway are direct competitors. High prices but good quality (which is missing from Balducci’s and more and more from Fairway). I find them to be better value than Tarry Market- which I find too full of itself and priced accordingly

Sounds worth a visit, thanks Gwenn and rich.

BPR, rich?

Oooph, went to Tarry Market once and once was enough.

Talk about pricey. But I had the most fantastic prime rib sandwich for lunch. Dry aged beef. Fantastic. We brought back a dry aged porterhouse and grilled it. It was one of the best I’ve ever had.

Boston Post Rd. (U.S.1).
btw kneaded bread is just across the street from Tarry Market ,and that is worth stopping at

2 Likes

Citarella also has a beef sandwich (usually)that they make right at the deli) at lunch time. I had tried Tarry Markets months earlier and did not really remember it, but the one from Citarella was good. They also make pizzas and other food to eat on premises. They also make their own mozzarella (expensive natch),but they have an old guy who makes it and gives out samples if you get lucky- still hot from the water and it is both chewy melts at the same time.delish

I will have to wander over to Citarella - Greenwich?

Putnam Ave., Gwenn. I wonder if it is where the restaurants come and go like clockwork. I can’t figure out the location from the picture.

Sampson, is it the software that warns posters when they talk too much in a thread? I guess I talk too much.:confounded:

What? Something told you that you talk too much?

Yes, Gwenn. Not sure of the thread, but ‘it’ said, in the box on the right hand side, “you’ve already posted a lot to this thread, maybe somebody else wants to add their opinion”, or words to that effect.

I’m hoping it’s built in software, and I haven’t already worn out my welcome here.

Oh, and I was also told by ‘it’: “rather than starting another post, perhaps you should edit and add to your other posts”, or words to that effect. Sheesh.

Greenwich, but just past the cvs on the post rd.- 600 w.putnam ave. It’s just over the border from Port Chester, about 1/2 mile past the gas station/circle leading from pt.chester to greenwich. If you can remember back (far enough) it is built where Chinetti (ferrari) had his original dealership- a couple of miles below the current dealer

Deedee-
You could always change that to
blah blah blah instead- just kidding- keep talking and tell the box
ppplll (tongue out)

1 Like

No way! Keep talking!!!

Thanks, rich.:grin:

Thanks, Gwenn. :innocent:

1 Like