A friend's recent take on Pepe's in New Haven (CT)

Check out former Stamford Advocate photographer, editor, and founder of Lunchtime Chronicles Chris Preovolos’ yearning for NH pizza after taking a job in San Francisco.

Sorta miss Chris. He had a way of finding some great places. The pizza photos capture some really good places. I was sitting there eating at Colony when he took that photo, one of my first posts for CTbites when I was still undercover.

After living in NJ, DC, and Chicago, people truly do not understand the beauty of the CT and NH pie. Whenever I hear “burnt” edges I know they will never appreciate it.

I’ll be. Recently I submitted a VERY similar review (Chowhound - where? :grin: )on our two pies, clam and tomato, at Pepe’s in Yonkers. We were last there 2 years ago, and it was good then, but not as good as New Haven.

This time the pie was thick and unrecognizable. Even worse, and what can be worse than sacrilege, was the place itself. You couldn’t MAKE me go back there.

We were musing making the trip to New Haven (Church to Chapel to Olive to Wooster, that’s how much I liked their pies!), but you’ve convinced me.

Frank must be spinning in his grave.

I so agree. The last couple of times we went the red sauce had no taste . And eating there is not a good experience by any stretch of the imagination.

Surprisingly, Pepe’s can and still does make a good regular pie (I don’t care for clams) but it is not close as Yonkers or as far as New Haven. Had a medium size pepperoni on superbowl sunday, while not as memorable of my 1st New Haven pie (40 yrs. ago?) it was probably 95% as good and far better than most. I would definitely still recommend the Fairfield location And it is very close to Super Duper Weenie- just one more place needed for the trifecta: :slightly_smiling:

Super Duper Weenie. Hah, now that looks like a destination. Black Rock Turnpike, I remember that from the dinosaur age when we first heard about food warehouses. BJ’s was the first in the area, and we had to go ALL the way to Bridgeport to shop. I’m so jaded now.

How does SDW compare to our venerable spot, Walter’s, in Mamaroneck?

I’ll have to give it a try, and yes, you’re right, Fairfield Pepe’s was yards better than the disgusting Yonkers version. Why IS that?

My buds and I are planning a road trip to Walter’s to check it out since one of us grew up in Yonkers.

Gary Z (an acquaintance) who owns the place is not only a dedicated foodie, he is also a trained CIA chef. He makes his own relishes and they are outstanding. SDW takes a dog and splits it down the middle then griddles them on a flat top. You choose from a bunch of toppings from sweet to spicy.

And while you are there try the Prime Burger. It made my Best Burger List a few years ago and should not be missed.

Thanks. I’m always on the hunt for an outstanding burger - especially with a fried egg on top, yum - so SDW already went on my ‘list’.

Gary is at Walter’s? Interesting.

Is Prime Burget in Mamaroneck?

Primosprimos-
Walter’s is interesting mostly as a roadside dining experience. The main appeal is hot dogs sold from a building that looks like a chinese pagoda. The hot dogs are fairly mild ( not a typical N.Y. dog) and both the dog and bun are griddled in a kind of butter/oil. The only condiments are reg mustard or “special mustard” a mustard and some relish combo or (blech) ketchup. The special mustard is recommended- they also sell it in jars,however it really does only work on their own dogs. Fries and even the dogs can be ordered “well-done”. Definitely as much visual appeal as food appeal- in fact years ago they did try to franchise- none of them lasted very long. Definitely to be tried but probably not a “must return”

Gary is the owner of SDW.

My mistake on the name. The burger I recommend is “The Natural” at SDW. There are two sizes, a 4.5 ounce and a 6 ounce and the larger was the burger I recommend.

Thanks, jfood.

rich, we usually make a yearly pilgrimage to Walter’s, and used to do the same with Greasy Nick’s in New Rochelle.

My list is growing, so I’ll have to try them out before I return to my favorites.

Where would you go for “New Haven-style” pizza?

Deedee-
I rarely/never frequent the Yonkers location. Years ago used to make the trip and the 1 hr. wait to NH. Too many good (not great) places around to still do that. But I’ve gotten very good pies at the Faifield Pepes and of course Super Duper Weenie is right there too. Locally, I also like Frankie and Fanucci and Anthony’s coal fired for whole pies

My husband went to the one in Danbury the other day and brought some home. I had a taste and it was much better than Yonkers. He said the atmosphere is a little better too.

I don’t remember why, but my F&F experience was horrid. Noise, service, don’t remember. But I won’t go back.

We’re still very happy with Francesco’s pizza. Hubby had a ‘woodsy’ at Michael’s in Portchester and that’s what we get every time, creatures of habit. I do like the new yuppy pizzas at Coal’s in Bronxville, I have to confess. But not the prices.

And if all else fails, Alex and Cosmo (and even ACME, if you can believe it) has good dough, so I’ll make my own.

Without categorizing it let me put a few places that I think serve the best pizza from south of Fairfield (I have not been to Brick and Wood or Naughty Dolphin in Fairfield yet) …

Norwalk - Bar Sugo
New Canaan - Locali
Stamford - Fortina & Amore

They are all FAR better than Pepe’s

On my list. Thanks.