2023 Grocery Outlet [California, Oregon, Washington, etc., etc.]

9 Likes

Now you’ve changed my plans for today.
Off to GO!
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

No kidding, time to stock the freezer

3 Likes

That’s a great price! But is any store really retailing that butter for $14.99? I think they sometimes inflate the retail price by wide margin.

4 Likes

My GO didn’t have any.

I got the Nando’s Hot and while there’s a pleasant buzz after a few seconds I wouldn’t say it’s hot
 tastes vary, regardless I wonder if there was a labeling issue.

I find Hempler’s ends and pieces meaty and smokey–excellent in beans and split pea soup.

3 Likes

There isn’t enough split pea soup in the world these days.

1 Like

Could be, there is definitely a burn there.

Spotted at the Richmond GO. Brutal Blue from Rogue was also there.

6 Likes

Anchor beer sightings at PA GO. There are cases of them:

Q Ginger beer at $1.49 a bottle:

7 Likes

Recently at Oakland Grocery Outlet -

Produce -

$4.99/18 oz plastic clamshell - Driscoll’s Organic Blueberries, product of USA

Cheese -

$2.99/6 oz - Mevgal Greek Grilling Cheese - made with cow’s milk, product of Greece. Grilling cheese doesn’t melt when put on the fire. This appears to be halloumi but the package doesn’t say so because it might not meet the technical requirements of origin or composition of halloumi but is essentially the same.

$2.99/5.3 oz - El Pastor Iberico Curado in Olive Oil - from Spain, made with cow, goat and sheep milk, doesn’t indicate how long it had been aged. Tastes of hazelnut, very good.

$1.49/6 oz. - Kaukauna Rose White Cheddar Cheese Ball with sliced almonds.

Oakland stilll has some Rogue River Creamery Brutal Blue in half-pound wedges at $12.99/lb (about $50/lb retail) and Anna Water Buffalo Mozzarella at $5.99/8.8 oz.

Deli -

99 cents/8 oz - LightLife Organic Tempeh Superfood, fermented soybeans, nutty flavor, chewy, good in soups and salads. May contain vitamin K2 which some report as aiding in the proper use of calcium in the body.

$3.99/24 oz plastic tub - Boulder Organic Red Lentil and Dahl Soup. I like it and drink it cold.

Condiments -

$1.99/20.1 oz jar - Sriraja Panich Hot Chili Sauce, product of Thailand. I lkle it better than Huy Fong and has cleaner ingredients/

99 cents/9.5 oz - Kuze Fuku Garlic Miso with Rich Umami Flavor, product of Japan. I put it on tempeh and fish, excellent.

$2.99/9.25 oz. jar - Kikkoman Wasabi Sauce for sandwiches.

2 Likes

In 2013, Andrea Nguyen wrote about Sriraja Panich for Bon Appetit -

NPR in 2019 -

2 Likes

I finally opened a can of the Wild Planet sardines tonight. It did have more water than I remember, and the flavor was meh compared to what I recall from the same brand years ago.

Maybe I’m not doing an apples-to-apples comparison (I’ll need to check the other options they offer - boneless/skinless, in oil, etc.) but I wonder if they might have changed to a totally different cannery in the last few years, or at least use different canneries for different lots. There are a few Amazon reviews that suggest that something is up and that the quality of the recent product isn’t the same as before from this brand.

3 Likes

Stopped at the Lacey, WA store yesterday on our way back from camping. Picked up some Truly grassfed butter $2.49 for 8 oz of the unsalted, $3.49 for the salted, expires 3/2024. They had some Kraft extra sharp cheddar 8 oz for .97. They were stocking the cheese when I got there, so I was briefly optimistic that there might be some Brutal Blue; but there was not. No specialty breads. The last time I was at the Milton, WA store they had a bunch of bake-at-home St Pierre French baguettes and mini-baguettes and rolls in the bread section, with no questionable ingredients, for .99 per package. I hadn’t tried that brand before, and shortly after baking the first mini-baguette wished I had picked up a lot more of them. The Tacoma, WA store on 56th carries Essential Baking Company breads, which is my favorite for organic sourdough and worth stocking the freezer with anything they have from that brand. Anyway, the Lacey store is not a destination GO (neither is Tacoma on 56th, careful there).

5 Likes

Destination GOs!
I like that term. And true.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Mama Fresca Roasted Green Chiles. Santa Cruz GO, $1.29. In a blind taste test of 5 versions, this was the one i preferred by a wide margin. really like this product.

4 Likes

Seen at the East Hayward GO: Yasso Chocolate Fudge yogurt pops for $2.99, half the price Safeway is selling them for, and Alvarado Street Bakery bread for $3.59.

1 Like

Recently at Oakland Grocery Outlet -

According to signs posted at several of the checkout counters at Oakland GO, effective August 22 the 10% senior discount day at Oakland is being expanded from twice a month to every Tuesday with some changes.

Old policy - the previous plan was a 10% discount on everything for the second and fourth Tuesday of the month from 8 am - 12 pm for those age 55 and older.

New policy - 10% discount every Tuesday except for dairy, alcohol and cards. I don’t know yet if it is mornings only or if it is still 55 and older but I’ll check next time.

Does anyone else know of other stores with senior discounts and what days they might be?

Deli -

$4.99/30 oz plastic jar - LASC Co Herring in Sour Cream pickled, got 2 jars and there were not many left on the shelf.

$1.99/8 oz tub - Black Diamond Merlot and Cheddar Spreadable Cheese made with Premium Aged Cheddar. Black Diamond makes some decent cheese in Ontario, Canada and this mix has a little bit of bite with a few subtle crystals.

Others -

Here are some items that are still around but more fully described in recent posts, above:

99 cents Light Life Tempeh, $5.99 Annabella Water Buffalo Mozzarella, a few bottles of the $1.99 Sriraja Panich.

4 Likes

I was just about to say that I have never seen anything about it at any of the SF GOs, I’ll try to look, do they just post it at the register?