2023 Grocery Outlet [California, Oregon, Washington, etc., etc.]

Just an fyi. I have a huge bottle of Nando’s medium Peri Peri sauce and it is hotter than hell. I shudder to think of what the hot is like.

2 Likes

I find the can to be half empty and filled with water and sub-par oil. Not into these at all. More for you :wink:

Newman’s Own Thin & Crispy Mushroom Trio pizza (frozen, $3.99) was delicious, would eat again.

Was excited to see some dried (sugar-added) passion fruit because I love passion fruit but it was meh, not enough acidity.

6 Likes

Recently at Oakland Grocery Outlet -

$5.98/.46 lb ($12.99/lb) - The Rogue Creamery Brutal Blue Cheese is back. It was my GO pick of the year for 2022 and is made with organic raw milk. It goes for about $50/lb at the creamery. Rogue’s award-winning River Blue was on the menu a few months ago when President Macron of France had dinner at the White House.

https://roguecreamery.com/product/brutal-blue/

10 Likes

Mackenzie Chung Fegan, who was just named as the new restarant critic for the SF Chronicle, is a fan of Grocery Outlet. Linked below is an article about GO that she wrote about a year ago for Bon Appetit.

Excerpt:

…Grocery Outlet Bargain Market, a supermarket franchise that I love with the passion some people exhibit for K Pop idols, or Disney. GOBM (as it is known in my family) originated in San Francisco in the 1940’s and has since expanded to seven other states. Its business model is built on opportunistic buying; GOBM takes surplus goods off the hands of mainstream grocery stores at bargain basement prices, passing those savings along to the customer.

GO in Emeryville is hiring.

https://work.hycareer.com/jobs/grocery-outlet

7 Likes

Ball quart jars- 12 for $12.99

5 Likes

At Oakland GO, La Tourangelle Ghee, clarified butter. 23 oz/$9.99. It’s pretty good price if I recall.

7 Likes

Any Idahoans here? I was on vacation googling for tacos when I found a new GO in Pocatello. Nice store, the owner was my cashier, he said they’d opened in April and he seemed really excited about trying new products, which seems like a good sign.

Highlights were mini noosa yogurts (4.5 oz instead of their usual 8oz), la vazza cappuccino cans, and various bean snacks - roasted black edamame with chili and lime leaf were as good as I hoped.

3 Likes

$2.99 for a 16 0z. bottle at my local GO.

5 Likes

South San Francisco location.

6 Likes

Shoulder bacon, $8.99 for 20 oz. at Alameda GO. Never had shoulder cut bacon (aka cottage bacon), looks sort of like Irish rasher bacon. Package says “European”. It will be interesting to try.

Found them online: https://hemplers.com/product/european-bacon-20-oz/

6 Likes

Safeway carries Hempler’s, good stuff.

1 Like

Geary GO SF, tried a Marie Callender Chicken Pot Pie, about $3.50. There’s something wrong with me, I don’t read labels in the store; when I get home, do, become horrified.

4 Likes

Yes, they’re a sodium and saturated fat bomb. However, they are also the only good-tasting frozen pot pie. I’ve tried the health food ones, but we didn’t care for them. YMMV.

I believe it’s mostly the pastry that has the fat calories. Check out what the specs are on a standard frozen butter pie crust dough:

Nutrition Facts
The calorie breakdown is 55% fat, 40% carbs, and 5% protein.

2 Likes

Agree, they’re the only frozen pot pie that’s decent…and all that fat and sodium is a big reason. Just limit intake, like one every couple of months…followed by a bunch of water.

Way high in sodium too. Is homemade as unhealthy?

I didn’t think the taste was worth the bad numbers on label, glad I only bought one.

Empire Kosher pot pies–in beef, chicken, and turkey varieties–were a staple weekend lunch for me as a kid. No wonder I became a chunky adolescent.

1 Like

Chunky Adolescent.
Another great band name.

:wink:

3 Likes

Spotted in East Hayward: Diana’s Dark Chocolate-Covered Frozen Bananas. These are half bananas, so not as unwieldy as the full-sized ones. $2.49 for a box of five.

1 Like

Puyallup South Hill, Washington today. It was mostly cheese today, and they had my organic sourdough bread finally. I am dying to try the bleu cheese, but it deserves a more special occasion than just a Sunday night after surviving some brutal traffic.
Apologies in advance for the crappy picture quality.

6 Likes