2023 Grocery Outlet [California, Oregon, Washington, etc., etc.]

I only bought three bottles of the Summerland, but there was only about 7-8 bottles on the shelf when I got there.

3 Likes

I like the Teriyaki flavor of those chicken bites–both varieties are available at the East Hayward GO.

1 Like

Today picked up a 10lb Hormel Cure 81 half ham for $12.99 at Geary GO. Amusingly/amazingly a week ago we bought a 8 pound Honey Baked Ham to take to Easter brunch for $90.

5 Likes

A couple of weeks ago I went to Honeybaked and bought a very meaty ham bone for $23. I try to avoid beef and pork but when that’s in the house, I can’t leave it alone.

After most of the ham was eaten, I sautéed onions, leeks, shallots, garlic, used 2 bags of their bean mix, carrots, made a big pot of soup. At the end I added lots of fresh sliced carrots. It made at least 5 quarts; I froze some, gave to neighbors, friends.

5 Likes

Honeybaked bean mix? Tell me more.

1 Like

My meaty hambone was $23; they had smaller ones too. Came frozen so I thawed in my fridge. I bought 2 packages of their assorted bean mix (they have different kinds), has a seasoning packet. They convinced me spend just $4 more to get one more item. I should have gotten another bean packet but I got the champagne honey mustard. It’s a bit starchy. So my total came to about $43.

I’m sure it’s cheaper to buy different beans and put it together but this is pretty convenient. I added fresh parsley and fresh twigs of thyme because I had some. Made the house smell great. I make this about once a year. San Francisco summers are cold, especially where I live near the ocean. I almost never need to open a window. So, you can eat stuff like this here all year round. I cook some carrots from the beginning but at the end I cook more slices of carrots separately then add so it’s not cooked to death.

They sell hot bean soup in the store too … they’ll give you a sample. Their ham sandwiches are a bargain.

5 Likes

We have a honeybaked ham store here but I’ve never been in it.
Cool :sunglasses:
I’ll go visit.

I make a point of buying virtually all my GO wine at the Geary store - when it comes to booze, it beats the pants off of South Van Ness.

Saw that Leonard Pinot (posted downthread) at Geary today. Was tempted by the discount, but after seeing few reviews on Vivino I ultimately passed in favor of the Post House Road Livermore cab.

Also got:
2020 Owl Block reserve Pinot, central coast
2018 Uncle Billy petit syrah, Yolo county
Pacheca tawny port (I had bought another bottle at the last GO wine sale but ended up gifting it)
Carrione 2022 Pinot grigio, Sicily
El Pescaito, 75%viura/25% Sauvignon Blanc, from Utiel-Requena DOP in eastern Spain

3 Likes

At Oakland GO - (price before discount)

$6.99/750 ml - Bogle Petite Sirah 2019, tastes of blueberry, cedar, licorice, unsweetened cocoa, clove and ginger. Will go back for more, if not on shelf there should be more in back.

2 Likes

Because I always associate Kiss and Detroit with rum.

5 Likes

giving a broad estimate on the duration of barrel aging is always a signifier of quality. as is using the word ‘super’.

3 Likes

There is simply no deal Gene Simmons would avoid if it makes him some money

4 Likes
3 Likes

Nothing too exciting today at South Hill Puyallup, WA. A decent selection of cheeses in my price range was the highlight. Produce prices are better with the growing season in gear. Still difficult to find any organic bread without oil/additives.

Uploading: IMG_20230422_151941399.jpg…

3 Likes

I was at the Oakland GO, found Hunts fire roasted, diced tomatoes, 3/$1.00, 14 oz can. Going to use in chili, hoping the fire roasted might add something.

Also, Mallomars, $1.99 for 8 oz box.

2 Likes

Yeah, they also have 28-ounce cans of Hunt’s whole tomatoes at 2/$1. I bought a couple to restock the pantry.

What I’ve read in the past suggests that the smokiness added by commercial canned fire-roasted tomatoes is a hotly debated topic. It sounds like at best it’s highly variable by brand, and I got very little noticeable difference from the Muir Glen fire-roasted. But maybe Hunt’s are better.

I bought the Glen Muir. Agree, not sure how much smokiness there is, or in the Hunt’s. But the price is right and in something like chili, it might help but shouldn’t make a difference if not.

1 Like

Well, on the East Coast it’s now the “end of season” for Mallomars. :wink:

4 Likes

Yup, the expiration date is May 17, 2023. Definitely seasonal as real chocolate melts in warmer months.

2 Likes

I’m a former New Yorker, and we definitely knew about the seasonality of Mallomars. I always looked forward to their return in the fall.

3 Likes