2023 Grocery Outlet [California, Oregon, Washington, etc., etc.]

Wow!!! That’s cool. With the way it’s been raining here in SoCal I kinda feel like I live in Washington, but no such email here AFIK.

1 Like

The grossoutwine thread devoted to the GO Spring Wine Sale -

Silver Ave (San Francisco) location:

6 Likes

VERY coarsely ground.

11 Likes

Bayshore Blvd location (San Francisco)-

20% off wine sale until April 11.

Note: The Port was $11.99 before discount. The Summerland is a half-bottle.

2 Likes

Was this the one near Bernal Heights or Visitation Valley?

Visitacion Valley near the Cow Palace.

1 Like

I picked up some of the Stryve piri-piri beef bites which I have enjoyed in the past but this batch is much fattier and kinda gross.

It’s a manufacturer issue, not a GO issue, but anybody else notice this?

1 Like

What are your experiences with the Bargain Room at Berkeley Bowl ?

The bargain room, next to the poultry department at the store, is one of Berkeley Bowl’s best insider secrets. Employees restock its shelves with heavily discounted produce throughout the day. Credit: Ximena Natera, Nosh/CatchLight

Google Photos

2 Likes

Too late to edit, but I emailed Stryve about the beef bite fattiness, they responded quickly with a gift card so will give them another chance.

Thanks for reminding me, I bought some and they got stuffed into the back of my cabinet. I like the flavor but found the casing doesn’t really break down when you chew it.

1 Like

Bargain stuff was better when it was next to organic produce/juice section, at least at BB West. Admittedly I haven’t looked for a long time, or been around when they drop off the bargain stuff. They use to drop the bargains around 2 p.m. Bargain section is best when in season produce (like tomatoes) is over-stocked. Getting a large bag of tomatoes for $1.29 (?) is a great deal. Just have to deal with them right away. Usually only one broke tomato.

1 Like

agree about the casing, it gets stuck in one’s teeth

their biltong is good too, and no casing

1 Like

South Van Ness location (San Francisco)–

Not much selection in the higher end wines.

4 Likes

Santa Cruz GO

Didn’t see too much from the wine sale, but got a case of stuff to try.
Beaulieu, Muscat $5
Prize Rose, Mendocino, 2021 $5
Bouchard Rose, 2020 $5 (some folks have reported good things, others that it is starting to turn. maybe i’ll be lucky)
Windy Gap Viognier, Columbia Valley, 2020 $5
Orinda Hayes, Red Blend, Lake County, 2020 $5.50
Kayak Chard, Columbia Valley, 2018 $5
Some more of the Divum PN 2017. A really stellar value Pinot, especially with food.

Philly, 3lb brick, $7 (i sense cheesecake in my future)
Hunts, Diced Tomato, .33¢
Meister, Morel & Leek Jack $4. Never tried it, could be a gimmick
Delve, Choc. Mascarpone Lemon Truffle, $2.50 (the chocolate is nothing to speak of, but the mascarpone center is very good)
Pretzilla, Pretzel Buns, $3.50 (new here, i’ve had the hamburger buns and liked them)

The biggest score was the Lamb Chopper :tada: at $12/lb. Fantastic cheese that i’ve never seen at GO before.

Cypress Grove | Arcata, Cali.

“This smooth, approachable wheel is the sole sheep’s milk offering from American artisan icon Cypress Grove. Like their aged goat’s milk cheese, Midnight Moon, Lamb Chopper is made in Holland, where the best goudas in the world are produced. With a smooth, supple texture and approachable sweetness complemented with notes of butter and cream, this ICDA Champion is an excellent starter cheese for those exploring sheep’s milk styles for the first time.”

5 Likes

love Cypress Grove!

3 Likes

Their regular biltong is the closest US commercial rendition I’ve had to the real South African version (which, BTW, is usually on the fattier side). Gotta have that coriander.

1 Like

The Stryve sticks have become fattier than they were in prior years, especially the Spicy for some unknown reason. The Hatch Green Chili is always the leanest. I still like it, and don’t mind the casing either. These solve the lunch dilemma for me so easily. Just toss a few bags into my desk drawer and eat them, or don’t eat them - not like they’ll go bad if they need to sit there over the weekend.

1 Like

SF, Bayshore Blvd (Visitation Valley).
I’m not going to say how many of those chocolate bars I bought, all I will tell you is that my daughter said “no stop, that’s embarrassing.”
@baron45 I was looking for those Summerland wines but did not see them - did you clear them out?

5 Likes

So funny! I shop with my mom and I’m always saying “sorry, I know it’s embarrassing”, as I shovel all of something into my cart. I’ve also said to her, “don’t freak out, I am about to buy an alarming amount of chocolate”. It was the Taza for me, and I sure wish they had been 20 cents instead of $2.50, but I was happy enough.

1 Like