2023 Grocery Outlet [California, Oregon, Washington, etc., etc.]

Recommended:

Cheese Brothers Adelheid Alpine-style smoked cheese (Wisconsin)

Emphatically not recommended: the plastic pouches of cacao fruit pulp “fruit smoothies.” They apparently use no ingredents other than the fruit - but the lack of preservatives is not a selling point in this case. The pulp tastes nothing like fresh cacao pulp right out of the pod; the flavor is unpleasant and funky. My best guess is that the pulp in this case is a byproduct of the process of processing the seeds for chocolate, and that it has been allowed to ferment a fair amount before being scraped off the beans and into the pouches.

5 Likes

(post deleted by author)

(post deleted by author)

Renton Washington Grocery outlet today, nothing too spectacular.

They had the Mezzetta caramelized onion and butter pasta sauce still at $2.99 for 16.25 oz jars, as well as the plain tomato. I wish I had picked up every one of the truffle, porcini & cream variety the one time I saw it. Oh well. Best by March 2024

My store has finally sold out of the Muir Glen organic canned tomatoes. This may be partly my fault.

They have the Safe Harvest jarred dairy-free wild clam chowder again for $1.99 for 13.2 oz. I’ve had this before and it was very good, no sign of the salmon chowder this time. Best by 10/11/23

I was excited to see the Safe Catch sustainably caught Ahi tuna back at $1.49 for 3 oz. This stuff is excellent and claims every single tuna is mercury tested. Best by 6/23

Lots of cheese this time. Arla creamy havarti 7 oz $2.99. Kerrygold Skellig cheddar 7 oz $1.99. Cheese Brothers Adelheir alpine style applewood smoked cheese 6 oz $2.99. Garcia Baquero Spanish Cheese Plate with 2 types of goat cheese and one sheep cheese (Iberico, Queso de Cabra and Manchego) 5.29 oz $3.49.

No organic sourdough in stock again, no organic bread whatsoever in fact without enriched wheat and/or seed oils. Boo.

4 Likes

“My store has finally sold out of the Muir Glen organic canned tomatoes. This may be partly my fault.”

This. This. You have no idea how hard you made me laugh, because I enjoyed this deal so, in so ca and helped make that so, here.

3 Likes

hahaha!
Me three!

1 Like

Such excellent tomatoes~ the crushed were good but the diced are like magic to transform anything into a worthwhile soup/stew/sauce. Glad this made you laugh! I was surprised every time I saw them still in stock, and whistled nonchalantly as I lugged a case of them into my cart

2 Likes

Oh the diced. The diced…

I was at my so cal GO today and they had Hunt’s San Marzano style whole peeled tomatoes with garlic, olive oil, and basil - 28 oz, two for $1, good through April 2024. And they just had seven cans on the shelf - so I grabbed them all.

I feel a tad guilty but also very very happy :smile_cat:

5 Likes

Yesterday we went to the Bonney Lake WA store instead of Puyallup South Hill, and I think I’m calling it out as a destination store; worth the drive if you are already in Western Washington. Go on a clear day, Rainier is HUGE. I didn’t buy much, because fairly early in our trip I ran into one of my holy grail items and stocked up. It is a big clean store with tons of variety. NOSH had a full big aisle of food items, not crammed into a corner like some stores. They had the Sigdal Norwegian flatbread crackers that have sold out elsewhere. The cheese section is decent, and there was an expanded section with specialty items like a lot of salami, and even chocolate truffles. Produce had much more than my store carries, both wet and dry. The wine section was large and well labeled. I’ve seen the larger sort of funny signage (warning, sign may contain puns) at stores before, but this one seemed to have more than usual; and also hard alcohol with different items I haven’t seen elsewhere and a lot of beer. They had 4-packs of fizzy vodka lemonade or fizzy vodka green tea drinks for $1.64, which was surprising to see, but not worth picking up for me. Bakery was fully functional, with some items that weren’t full of junk ingredients. They were sold out of the organic sourdough, but had plenty of the Oasis all natural sprouted wheat bread so my freezer again has bread. Oh and the frozen section was significantly larger than most, although I didn’t dig around too much even though I brought a cooler. So, this is my holy grail item; the Stryve Spicy Beef Bites. No nitrates, no additives, just beef, vinegar, and spices in the 4 oz bags. I was dependant on these for work lunches for a long time, when GO had them coming in fairly often. Anyway, I was thrilled to see it, and they were $1.99 instead of their old price of $2.99 and instead of the new price, which is $9.99 for 8 oz and is too much and this product is better anyhow.

Oh, and they had about 12 cans of the Muir Glen organic crushed tomatoes. Yes, had.

5 Likes

IMO, the Stryve original flavor is the closest American-made product to authentic South African biltong.

3 Likes

“Oh, and they had about 12 cans of the Muir Glen organic crushed tomatoes. Yes, had.”

You. You are my people.

1 Like

Went to South San Jose GO this evening. Azumaya tofu, both silken and firm, for $2.99 (and expiration dates in April and May!), C&H powdered sugar 2lb for $2.70, Crisco canola oil $4.99, Hebrew National beef franks $4.99. No Muir Glen tomatoes, but Contadina tomato sauce 8oz. $0.79. My most surprising find was a Chicago Metallic professional 8 inch springform pan for $8.99. I have a 9 inch one, and that’s the size in stock in all other stores. Now I can bake the recipe that calls for the 8 inch pan.

2 Likes

Silver Ave (San Francisco) location:

5 Likes

That fruit spread isn’t very good and the jar is 8.2 oz. The regular Bonne Maman jam jar is 13 oz. I bought the blueberry flavor, however, not the cherry.

I bought the Gilbert’s Aloha chicken sausage in SoCal and liked them so much I went back and bought heaps more! Very tasty, flavorful and not that bad for you. My husband is a huge carnivore - I am not - and we both like them : ) Great steamed, pan fried or used in fried rice.

They also freeze like a dream.

3 Likes

Hey! Thanks for putting the South Hill and Bonney Lake stores on my radar. Have you ever been to the GO on 6th in Tacoma? It’s much more compact than the 72nd street one, but often gets a good assortment of produce, organic meats and eggs, and seafood. And now the new WINCO is within striking distance so I can do a complete grocery shop without having to drive all over hell’s half acre for those few things Gross Out doesn’t carry.

1 Like

Good tips! I’ve had a pack sitting in my fridge for over a week, not sure what o do with them. Putting fried rice of some sort on my menu for later this week. :slight_smile:

Very cool, I will definitely check out 6th Ave in Tacoma. I want to get a look at the new store in Milton, so will likely hit both on the same day. I’m looking at the map and that 6th Avenue store looks like a great stop on the way to the peninsula. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

The Spring 20% Off Wine Sale begins on Monday April 3 and runs through Tuesday April 11 for 9 days. Also, at the Oakland store on Tuesday April 11 between 8 am and 12 pm there is a 10% senior discount for those 55 and over so the two discounts applied total 28%.

Recently at Oakland Grocery Outlet -

Deli -

$5.99/8.8 oz - Annabella Whole Milk Water Buffalo Mozzarella with Basil and Oregano. grass fed, free range milk, product of Columbia.

$2.49/8 oz - Hodo Spicy Harissa Tofu Cubes, Organic, made by Hodo of Oakland CA. Hodo is in West Oakland and I took a tour of their factory years ago. It is a premium tofu.

$2.99/32 oz. - Price’s Pimiento Cheese Spread with Pepper Original, made with real cheese. I like this cheese for toppings and spreads and at $1.50 per lb. it’s a no brainer.

$1.99/48 oz. - Hope and Sesame Sesame Milk Unsweetened Original, no added sugar and 8 grams of protein per serving.

$2.99/8 oz. - Miyoko’s Organic Cashew Milk Cream Cheese Cinnamon Raisin. Miyoko’s makes my favorite vegan cheeses.

50 cents/5.3 oz - SO Delicious Chocolate Coconut Yogurt Alternatice

$1.49/8 oz. - Kite Hill Whipped Ricotta made with Almond Milk.

Wine

$6.99/ 1 liter - Intorcia Sweet Marsala 17%, from Marsala, Italy. Fine !.P. D.O.C.

The discussion of Marsala wines starts at the 7:31 mark in this video -

Snacks

$1.99/4.5 oz. - San Joaquin Hickory
Smoked Almond Nut Chips made with cassava flour and avocado oil. Made by Calbee America in Madera CA. I’m not big on chips but these are some of the best I’ve had.

2 Likes

Washington State / App - Early access to the wine sale - specifics

Get Early Access to our Wine Sale when you download and register for Grocery Outlet Mobile App

Download and register for the app and you’ll see an exclusive digital offer this weekend giving you early access to our big wine sale. Plus enjoy these additional benefits:

• $5 off towards a future purchase**
  • Exclusive offers, coupons, early access to Weekly Ads, and more
  • A sneak peek at what’s in stock right now
  • Automatic entries into our new monthly sweepstakes

Okay that was the sum total of the email about accessing the 20% off on Saturday April 1 and Sunday April 2 (for app users in Washington State), ahead of the Monday April 3rd start of the wine sale. I have an inquiry in with them as to whether the coupon is one time use or not. Haven’t heard back.

2 Likes