2023 Grocery Outlet [California, Oregon, Washington, etc., etc.]

Santa Cruz, Morrell Lard, 2.99.
First time I’ve seen this product at GO
ZPasta Conchiglie - Bronze Cut Artisan Pasta, 2.99

5 Likes

It looks like GO is making progress with the functionality of their phone app, which was hastily rolled-out solely in Washington State at the end of last year and was worthless. It showed the lowest “deal” prices for items unavailable at our stores, the Clerks and Managers at the stores had never heard of it, and the $5 off coupon within the app caused the cash register to freeze-up requiring the voiding of the entire receipt and then a Manager’s override in order to pay. Anyone wish they were with me on that visit?

So now it is looking much more functional. The items from the weekly ad show up correctly and can be tagged and added to your own shopping list in the app, to review at the store. There’s a “browse items” function that lets you see items and prices, there’s no way to search yet but still handy. Under “digital offers” there’s a new $5 off $25 coupon good through Feb 27.

Each user gets their own digital “Wow! Card” and there is a running total at the top of the screen that says “you’ve saved $00.00”. So it looks like scanning the card allows you to track your savings (unhelpful if they are using their inflated comparison prices, but whatever) and also keeps your purchase history (helpful) on the app. There is a section for Wow Alerts, and I’m curious as to how this will be used. It would be excellent if they are able to match it with items actually available at the store, particularly items that I’ve purchased in the past.

So that’s the scoop on the app, hopefully fully functional when it is available in all states.

5 Likes

Visited GO downtown San Jose (Santa Clara St) last weekend. Selection was different than GOs closer to the coast–evidence to add to theory that stores stock for their customers. My gems included:

• La Tourangelle organic ghee (product of New Zealand, exp Dec 2024)
  • lately ubiquitous, always welcome 99 cent cans of 28oz Muir Glen organic tomato (this one’s crushed with basil)
  • Various Talenti gelato, $1.99

No Rogue Creamery, @zippo1–I keep checking :wink:

2 Likes

The 2023 Spring 20% Off Wine Sale is rumored to start on Monday, April 3 and last 9 days, I’ll post about it again when I can get confirmation.

5 Likes

Santa Cruz GO
Chameleon Cold Brew, $6. Decent cold brew that I usually see for around $11
Mezzetta Plum Tomato Marinara, $3. This is great stuff. I bought a half dozen
Divum Pinot Noir, Monterey, 2017, $6. Great value pinot.
Eleones Olive Oil, Cretian, $15. Single origin. I rarely find any olive oil worth purchasing at my GO (mass produced blends from olives sourced worldwide), this appears to be an exception.

6 Likes

The Greek olive oil is at Richmond GO too. And Its Its again. Plus a lot of gardening tools.

2 Likes

Welcome RacerX!

I am a huge fan of the Muir Glen tomatoes - fabulous in soup or blended make a NYC style pizza sauce - https://leitesculinaria.com/277675/recipes-new-york-style-pizza.htmlO

My GO in Los Angeles recently had Hunts organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, 14.5 oz, exp. date May 1, 2023, two cans for $1. They are not a petite dice but? Are very tasty!

2 Likes

Watsonville (Monterey Bay, CA):

• Tillamook 2012 extra sharp white cheddar wedges, 18oz $7.99–sharp, crumbly, crunchy crystals. Also a smaller size.
  • 6 varieties of Kimlan Soy Sauce, including alternate grain and Super Special $1.99 and $2.99. Their website doesn’t show all the bottles so maybe these are closeouts? See pics and description here:
    https://www.malafood.com/en/the-complete-guide-to-soy-suaces
  • Large variety of kikoman products, ponzu sauce, anchovy sauce, etc.
  • Several varieties of Rao’s jarred sauce
  • Quorn products in the deli

A few items I saw at San Jose last week were double the price today in Watsonville.

4 Likes

I’ve considered the Elonies OO a few times–thanks for recommending!

1 Like

I saw Rogue Creamery Mt. Tam at my San Jose location (Foxworthy) about 3 weeks ago. Since then, nothing. If I see it again, will try to post right away.

4 Likes

First time at the Pleasanton GO (Bernal) today. Wow–so big and well stocked! Lots of cheese and a really big wine section, as well as plenty of fancy haircare items. Among the items we got were an Ataulfo mango (4 for $5) and fresh organic ginger. That’s the kind of GO I wish was by me.

Mission, SF
Say what you will about Dunkin Donuts but $2/lb for whole beans is quite cheap

5 Likes

@brisket44 - you’re killing me! I actually enjoy the Dunkin coffee and my old production company used to pay me to go and pick it up for our office coffee.
Hmm… wonder if any Los Angeles GO’s have that deal :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Hey I’m not enough of a coffee snob to pass up $2/lb coffee beans.
If I have what I think are subpar beans I usually add a crushed up ceylon cinnamon stick to the grounds and it smoothes the flavors out.

4 Likes

Found at GO SSF: Dunkin original blend medium roast whole bean coffee $.98 in 2 lb vacuum packed bags. Exp FEB 25, 2023. ~32 bags left on shelf.

3 Likes

Damn, I’d call that basically free coffee beans!

1 Like

Hence worth trying? I wonder being vacuum packed would extend the shelf life.

1 Like

Well I bought it at $4 for 2/lb. so I’d say yes. Will let you know when I try it.

The Point Reyes Bay Blue has made it to the East Hayward GO! Good selection of Numi teabags this week too, for $3.49/box.

We’ve also got DD coffee, in beans and K-cups, but I don’t know what the price is.

3 Likes

SSF location-

1. Looked for the DD coffee but they sold out fast
  2. The Summerland wine is a half bottle

4 Likes