2021 Grocery Outlet [California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, other Western States]

Oakland Grocery Outlet yesterday -

The store was overflowing with bargains on plant-based milks - chia, cashew, coconut, soy - at 50 cents and 99 cents for 32 and 64 oz cartons in the refrigerated dairy section and the NOSH shelf.

99 cents/32 oz. - SOW - SEEDS OF WELLNESS, Chia Beverage Original Unsweetened, in the NOSH/Organic aisle and in a separate display near the checkout lines. A chalky, almost bitter melon taste but full of healthy omega-3 fatty acids. I liked it in morning coffee. There is also an unsweetened vanilla version which I haven’t tried yet. From Chile.

99 cents/32 oz - SO Delicious Cashew Milk Dairy Free Unsweetened

$2.99/2.3 oz - Frontier Co-Op Organic Seafood Seasoning, Original. GO has been pretty weak in its spice rack aisle so this might mean a step up. From Frontier Co-Op in Norway IA. The version that I got says that it has 40% less sodium than the Original recipe and contains paprika, sea salt, celery seed, black pepper, mustard , cayenne, rice concentrate, bay leaf, ginger, cinnamon, mace, clove, allspice, cardamom.

https://www.frontiercoop.com/spices-and-seasonings/seafood/frt-seafood-seasoning-organic-2-80-oz

$1.99/750 ml - Lucky Duck Malbec from Argentina, 13% ABV. Since Trader Joe’s increased the price of its Charles Shaw Two-Buck-Chuck to $2.99, I’ve been looking for something low-end to sip while watching the NBA Summer League games with teams full of rookies and undrafted free agents. This should do the trick. Also available in an Australian Shiraz.

https://www.vivino.com/lucky-duck-malbec/w/1149625

50 cents/12 oz - Kraft Avocado Oil Mayo Fat Reduced, with a blend of avocado, canola and soybean oils.

2 Likes

I tried that chia milk (the unsweetened version) the other day.

No amount of any food will make me enjoy the taste of chia milk or any other chia-heavy product. If I want omega-3 fatty acids, I’m reaching for a nice piece of fish.

1 Like

You sure you don’t want to use that chia milk to wash these chia pasta down? :joy:

1 Like

Here are some ordinary dairy products from this week in the PA store:

And some other offerings:

Both Straus ice cream flavors (raspberry chocolate chip and caramel toffee) are good btw.

I bought the Mutti tomato sauce, smacked the lid to open it, and the whole bottom of the jar broke.
A note of caution. :slight_smile:

Oakland Grocery Outlet yesterday

Deli -

$2.00/7 oz/10 slices Kerrygold Grass-Fed Mild Irish Cheddar Slices, made with Milk from Irish Grass Fed Cows, cashew notes, no cheese crystals, works out to about $4.60/lb.

Deli -

99 cents/11 oz tub - Price’s Pimento Cheese Spread Southern Style with Real Cheese and Mayonnaise, from Bel Brands of Chicago IL.

Southern Living Magazine taste tested 5 pimento cheese spreads and Price’s came in a close second to Palmetto with a sweet and tangy flavor and thick-cut shreds of cheddar.

Snacks

99 cents/4.5 oz - Hawaiian Host Aloha Macs Dark Chocolate Covered Macadamias, individually wrapped, from Hawaiian Host of Honolulu HI.

$1.49/10 oz - Fisher & Wieser Mixed berry Pepper Relish with cranberry, raspberry and jalapeno. The cranberry predominates and not overly sweet - I’ll add it to the Straus Family Whole Plain Organic European Style Yogurt I got for $3.49/32 Oz or spread it on the various cheeses.

$1.99/750 ml - Lucky Duck Malbec from Argentina, picked up 2 more bottles which I like after some air and way better than Two-Buck-Chuck (now $2.99) Red Blend.

1 Like

Yesterday at the Oakland Grocery Outlet -

Zippo’s Pick of the Week

$3.99/7 oz - PRÉSIDENT® VALBRESO 100% SHEEP MILK CHEESE
Made in the south of France with sheep’s milk that is also used in the production of Roquefort cheese. The Lacaune breed of sheep
are pasture raised, weather permitting, on the plateaus surrounding Roquefort-sur-Soulzon and the tangy cheese is creamier than feta.

2 Likes

Today at the Oakland Grocery Outlet -

Printed at the top of my receipt was a $5 off coupon good from Sept 8 through Sept 14 on a minimum purchase of $20 (excluding alcohol, dairy,taxes, deposits). If you got exactly $20 of qualifying goods, that would be a 25% discount.

Zippo’s Pick of the Week

$1.99/6.4 oa - St Mang Limburger Bavarian Made

Pasteurized Milk, Salt, Microbial Rennet, Bacterial Cultures, Ripening Cultures

https://youtu.be/7CGq_Na-hIU z

https://www.st-mang.com/en-ca

[https://www.st-mang.com/en-ca]

(https://www.st-mang.com/en-ca)

from St Mang:

MILK FROM ALPINE FARMS

Our cheeses are made with the milk of Brown Swiss cows, a cultural heritage of the Allgäu region of Bavaria. This breed’s alpine diet and protein-rich milk results in cheese with excellent flavor and texture.

2 Likes

Chocolate:

Bob’s

Snacks:

Flour:

Cheese:

Humphrey Slocombe icecream:

Whole wheat pasta:

Barbados sugar. Is there such a thing as ‘single origin sugar’? They have such a label on the packaging.

3 Likes

Which store was this? I picked up the MIA baobab/salted nibs chocolate, along with the Barbados sugar, at the Portola GO on Saturday, but I don’t remember spotting some of the other items here.

Never see Tcho chocolate at GO, at least not Oakland and the East Bay.

I’ve recently seen a couple of Tcho varieties, like the cornflake, at the East Hayward GO. I also got some Theo Chocolate there.

1 Like

That was the Palo Alto store.

Impressive selection. S. Van Ness last week had the TCHO pretzel, cornflake, mint, and milk chocolate.

I must say I really like the price of the De Cecco 00 flour. Never bought 00 flour at this low price.

I see it at the SF Geary store

Couple of interesting pickups this weekend. I popped in quickly to Geary, Portola, and Bayshore and only spotted each of these at only one store:

Geary: Blue Evolution “organic seaweed popcorn”, spicy citrus flavor. This is regular popcorn sprayed with sea lettuce powder and other stuff for the spicy citrus. I am not much of a popcorn person but I kinda like this. The sea lettuce powder imparts a nice toasted-nori kind of brininess. $1.99/bag I think?

SF Bayshore: Dolcezza “Argentine-style” gelatos from a company in the Washington, DC area. Swiss chocolate, straciatella, tramontana flavors, $2.49/pint. I got the tramontana, regular sweet cream ice cream with dulce de leche ribbons and little balls of chocolate crunchies. Not bad.

3 Likes

In case this is anyone’s jam, the SF Portola GO on Saturday had three flavors of ice cream marketed to pregnant people, including this dill pickle flavor. I think it was $2 or $3 a pint but noticed that you can get a full Venmo rebate on one pint if you submit your receipt to the manufacturer’s website. Did not see this brand at Geary tonight.

Recently at Oakland Grocery Outlet on Broadway at 30th Street

Zippo’s Pick of the Week

$5.99/750ml/14.5% ABV

2014 Kenneth Volk Tempranillo San Benito County

I tried several Volk wines during the GO wine sale and was impressed for the price.

In a thick, heavy bottle with a maroon color to the wine. Aromas of sour plum, hibiscus and dry pasture. After about a half hour, the medium body tastes of cocoa, black licorice, toast, pomegranate, and rhubarb on the palate. Short finish on the smoothed out tannins.

On a previous bottle that I had, it grew more complex on the second and third days. This wine is not a punchy fruit bomb but a savory, earthy one.

According to Volk, it has high malic acid content and had prolonged cellaring on its fermentation.

$2.99/14oz Mifroma Swiss Cheese Fondue Original

Ingredients: Swiss Emmental AOP & Gruyere AOP cheese 50% (cow’s milk, cheese cultures, salt and enzyme), white wine, water, corn starch, Kirsch brandy, salt, melting salts (sodium phosphate, sodium polyphosphate), spices.

From Mifroma:

All crafted in the Swiss mountainside - from pasture to maturation - our selection of AOP-labelled cheeses boasts a truly authentic taste of Swiss heritage for every palate and occasion.

AOP is the acronym of the French “Appellation d’Origine Protégée” which translates as PDO - Protected Designation of Origin. This label guarantees that the entire production process takes place within the designated area, and that the ingredients are also produced within the specific geographical area to the highest quality standards.

In Switzerland we produce more than 450 different kinds of cheese and only 11 are protected by the AOP label.

$5.99/8 oz crystals

Folgers Instant Coffee Crystals Classic Roast. 8 OZ

100% coffee, roasted in New Orleans, LA., very good reviews online, I’d buy it again.

I add about 2 teaspoons to cold water and unsweetened coconut milk where it dissolves quickly and can offer up a make-do breakfast.

1 Like

The website Grocery Outlet Ethical Bargains reports that,

"[t]he Fall 2021 Grocery Outlet Wine Sale runs for a week starting from Wednesday, November 3, 2021. All wines are discounted an extra 20% (off the already low prices) from Nov 3-9, 2021. "

1 Like