2020 Veggie Gardens!

Failed with eggplant as well, I think it’s simpler to buy young plants.

I really keep throwing good cultivation after bad. The plants grow (eventually), but they don’t produce.

I was going through last year’s pics to decide what I wanted to plant again, and came across this one. These are all “Dwarf project” tomatoes.

Your tomatoes seemed very compact, lots of leaves and fruits.

Did you have problem of leaves or fruits diseases?

I hope to have your productivity!

The Dwarf project tomatoes are bred for containers and tend to grow that way. I do get leaf problems by mid-summer, but it tends to be spider mites and thrips rather than disease.

I had one or two dwarf tomatoes plant, they remained small and compact with thick stems and were rather reproductive, but the lifespan was short, fruits finished around July and leaves turned yellow after, compared to the non dwarf version.

What’s your thinking on the dwarf versions compared to the “normal” plants?

There are so many options, it’s hard for me to know how to respond, but I am limited to planting in containers, and Dwarf varieties are my best option for that. I’m sure “regular” are better in some ways but their size can be really hard to manage and accommodate. When I used to grow in the ground, they got up to 7 or 8 feet tall, and I could only grow maybe 8 varieties.

You can get other “container” tomatoes, but they are mostly determinate, not known for flavor, and mostly red. There are indeterminate Dwarf varieties in lots of colors and tastes.

Check these out;

This is a link to a thread about the latest trials on a tomato and veg growing forum.

This is a link to Victory Seeds where I get most of my seeds. And they are open pollinated so you can save seeds.

5 Likes

Trying new seedling containers this year, so I will be putting them in this weekend. Fingers crossed that I will get some decent shishito pepper plant starters this year.

1 Like

Sugar Ann. Early, but too short!

Sugar Daddy and ?? on the way.

1 Like

I didn’t do a winter garden this year, save for a box of Little Gem lettuce that was finished this week.

2 Likes

Ooooo! Flawless! Was that grown outside?

1 Like

Yep, in an Earthbox.

1 Like

A few updates. Finally no rain today, must have been raining for about 2 months.

Rosemary in bloom

Rhubarb is early this year, there was a week very warm in late January and another week in February.

Two flower buds with this rhubarb?!

Cabbage Cabus Express, cauliflower Snow Crown with some strawberries climbing everywhere.

Red cabbage Buscaro

Lettuce

Arugula

5 Likes

Finally rain today! It hasn’t rained in a month!
Planting peppers in my Aerogarden seed starter. Hope it’s not too late.

Looking at your healthy rosemary plant makes me realize that my rosemary plant has never bloomed. :pensive: I only get to keep it outside and get more day-around sunshine in the late spring and summer months, so maybe that’s the reason. I’ve grown this thing for about 3 years now, so I would think it would reach a stage to bloom at some point.

I planted a few shishito peppers seeds this weekend, so I’m keeping my eye on these babies. Hopefully the seeds are still good.

It varies from variety to variety. My upright rosemary is blooming generously right now, but the other one I have has just a few blossoms.

2 Likes

@jon914; where do you garden?

May I ask what happened to your plant in autumn and winter?

Mine was outdoor all year round in a pot. Late autumn and winter, there was only cloudy or rainy days. Did you add fertilizer in spring and summer? I think my first rosemary, I kept it in a small pot, it didn’t seem to flower nor particularly happy.

1 Like

Once it hits consistently cold weather in the autumn (mid-Fall / October time frame), I have to bring the plants inside. Temperatures easily fall to 4-10C (40-50F) during overnight hours, and even during the days. It will have to stay indoors until about May, when our temperatures start to break about 15C (60F) more regularly and the chance of snow is finally gone.

I do have mine in a small pot, so I wonder if it need a bigger pot for more room for its roots. I also don’t use fertilizer, but it’s something I should consider. Once indoors, they only get sunlight maybe for about 3-4 hrs in the morning, so that may be an issue too.

1 Like

I think you should let it outside, if your plant is old enough with woody stems. Plants have difficulty to adjust to indoor conditions and back to outdoor. The only plant I bring indoors are orchids, ficus and some succulents. Winter here this year, for example is around 4-10C (40-50F). My rosemary stays alive even after snowing and frost (5ºF / -15ºC) two years ago (Although another one died with snow, so it depends on plants). I don’t know the necessary conditions to make rosemary to have blossoms, but I saw in the heart of winter, they were growing buds already, I suspect cold is one of the element.

1 Like