2020 Veggie Gardens!

I have seen them in pots, but find it hard to imagine can thrive in one for long. They grow naturally in pretty tough conditions, at least by houseplant standards. Mine have been in the ground in N. Cal with little to no care, and are the size of a not-so-small child.

Here are soon to be Black Jack figs

…and Blenheim apricots

Well, maybe not soon.

2 Likes

Mine grows in pot. (Actually, all my plants are.) I think it must be about 6 - 7 years old. It shares the pot with a thyme and another herb, it “killed” the other plant, pushes the thyme aside, lol.

1 Like

SF Bay Area, zone 9b.

1 Like

Bell peppers are the last holdout. Sungold and black krim tomatoes are now in the mix.

IMG_3560

1 Like

Just recieved lots of seeds in t hff e mail. Can’t believe I ordered more. Oh well. Good to have in the event of the end of the world.

At least you can be self sufficient. I just sowed the tomato seeds… 2 days ago.

Your seedlings remind me to sow herbs tomorrow.

They are nature’s Post-it note.

1 Like

The artichokes are loving our SoCal rain. And, my lame lemon tree is finally doing something after we moved it to a half wine barrel that gets tons of sun. Maybe it will give me a lemon this year?

5 Likes

Lemon trees are so crazy! Or maybe we are. Half of us trying to figure them out, the other half neglecting them and letting hundreds of lemons fall in the street.

3 Likes

Very frustrated. Normally, quarantine means good time for gardening, but the tomato interior sowing was very disappointing this year, out of about 70 seeds of different varieties, only 6 seedlings, and they grow so slow. I wonder the root of the problem , the fava beans earlier this year have the same low rate of germination. It’s like a curse, I’ve changed the growing media with the tomato, cleaned the tray with soap and everything. I guess I will try to disinfect everything again including the heat pad. Will also test some nearly bought herb seeds.

2 Likes

I am having the same trouble with chile seedlings. I started 18 plants and only 5 or 6 germinated, and two of those failed shortly after breaking ground. Not sure what the problem is, as my other seedlings (herbs, cauliflower, leeks, flowers) are doing just fine. Grrrr. My garlic looks great so far, though, and my berry plants and rhubarb are all starting to leaf out and look good!

1 Like

@naf and @biondanonima, are you using any bottom heat? I do, and my 50 seedlings were all up in about a week. I turn off the pad and remove the humidity dome once they’ve sprouted. I have my peppers in an Aerogarden seed starting try because they are harder to germinate and take longer to grow to garden size, and they were much faster. , and

Yes, I do. I saw some kind of white powder appearing at the corner on the surface, therefore, I lift the dome from time to time. I didn’t seem to have this problem in the past years. Now while typing I realize that I didn’t clean the domes though…

Seeds difficult to germinate, I would say eggplants, never succeed. I always buy young plants for peppers, so that will be May.

1 Like

Yes, I have a pad and do as you said, remove the heat once they have sprouted. I replanted several of the varieties that didn’t germinate on my first try, but the second try has only been in the tray for a week so I’m still crossing my fingers I get a few more takers.

1 Like

What are some of your chili varieties? I’ll be back with my list.

I started Aleppo, Baklouti, Bird’s Eye, Cayenne, Palmyra, Piment d’Esplette, Sonechko red, Sinahuisa and Szegdi. My only successful seedlings at this point are Piment, Sonechko, Sinahuisa and Szegdi - everything else either didn’t germinate at all or did so weakly and then pooped out. Fingers crossed round two gets me a few more plants!

1 Like

These are pictures of my seed starting trays.
Peppers

Some seeds are saved, but the ones I ordered this year from Johhny’s are

Carmen Organic (F1)
Corno di Toro Pepper Seed,
Hungarian Hot Wax Organic Pepper Seed,
Krimzon Lee (F1) Pepper Seed,
Nassau (F1)
Cubanelle Pepper Seed,
Kilian (F1) Thai Pepper Seed,
Escamillo Organic (F1)
Corno di Toro Pepper Seed,
Baron (F1) Poblano Pepper Seed,
Maxibel Bean Seed

Tomatoes

Some old; what’s new this year. (Purple Heart, WildFred, Sneaky Sauce, BrandyFred, and also Maglia Rosa and Principe Borghese that I got from Fanci/Seeds of Italy, are repeats).
3402381 Dwarf Mr. Snow Tomato $2.75 x 1 $2.75
3402621 Dwarf Wild Fred Tomato $2.75 x 1 $2.75
3403131 Dwarf Purple Heart Tomato $2.75 x 1 $2.75
3403531 BrandyFred Dwarf Tomato $2.75 x 1 $2.75
3403621 Dwarf Crimson Sockeye Tomato $2.75 x 1 $2.75
3403881 Dwarf Firebird Sweet Tomato $2.75 x 1 $2.75
3404151 Dwarf Sneaky Sauce Tomato $2.75 x 1 $2.75
3404351 Dwarf Moliagul Moon Tomato $2.75 x 1 $2.75
3404381 Wilpena Tomato $2.75 x 1 $2.75
3404571 Dwarf Perfect Harmony Tomato $2.75 x 1 $2.75
3404711 Dwarf Almandine Tomato $2.75 x 1 $2.75

1 Like

It took a while but my shishito pepper seedlings finally sprouted! It’s only been about 3 weeks… I think it’s a combination of the cool weather and not as much sunshine coming through the weather. Hopefully they’ll grow well over the next 1-2 months, so I can get them in the ground by June. I have 4 baby sprouts, and one didn’t sprout at all.

2 Likes

Today’s sugar snaps.

4 Likes