2018 Cooking Goals and Resolutions

Brilliant idea!! This is the best resolution, the conversion! :heart_eyes: Will work at it next year!!

I can add the pasta or noodles after the soup is defrost. A good start here, actually mr n likes noodles soup, esp ramen or phô type of soup…

Fermented foods ought to go on my want-to-do list too. Sandor Ellis Katz’s “The Art of Fermentation” is a phenomenal book on the topic. Any food you might want to ferment, he’s got it covered.

3 Likes

@naf, @smtucker, @Ttrockwood, do I sense that a separate soup (and maybe stew) thread might be simmering? Should we have a new topic for 2018 or add to one of the existing soup threads?

I have yet to fire up the soup pot but hope to contribute when I do.

1 Like

Here is my problem with separate threads… then we have a post in “WFD” and in “Soup, Stews & Braises.” I love the idea of easily finding others’ soups, but then we are doing a bunch of cross-posting. One solution could be, writing up the details in WFD or WFL, and then posting in the new thread, the name of the dish and if you would make it again with a link to the full post. Or the other way around? This software doesn’t allow you to post the same content twice, and double posting photos does increase the cost of hosting this site. [Photos == storage_space]

Thoughts? @hungryonion?

3 Likes

Yes, I am not sure of the best approach. Organizing is important because it helps people and search engines find the info.

I’ll jump on the soup :steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive::steam_locomotive:, I enjoy soup(s) as does my wife but my kids (adult) can live without it. As a result soups are generally relegated to “get well” food when someone falls ill.

What I truly love about soups is if you start with a good stock, it’s almost impossible to have a bad result. You can pretty much throw anything in there and it will just add to the finished product. I’m still recovering from pneumonia but over the past two weeks I made a delicious chicken, with chicken meatballs soup, followed by one of my all time favorites pasta fagiole. Unfortunately the tomato in the fagiole was too acidic for my stomach and I wasn’t really able to enjoy it. That is probably the family favorite because I make it very thick, almost like a pasta dish more than a soup.

2 Likes

Yes, but another solution is by linking in the second post by the URL, the first icon beneath the post.

2 Likes

Go ahead! As you feel like… but like @smtucker said, it is also nice to have topics in the same thread.

For things that I would like to keep track, I sometimes use “bookmark”, second icon in the bar below the post, to keep myself a reminder, not the best way, but at least some traces that I can track.

Yes to a soup thread for 2018! I call anything brothy in a bowl soup- stews, curries, noodley soups…
i already have requests from my family for the potato leek and lentil soups that i make and stock their freezer with :slight_smile: but I’ll experiment more for myself with some new recipes come January!

2 Likes

You can make strata using smooth soups, or you can puree a chunky soup. Add eggs, plus milk or cream if you choose. For example, sandwich ham and gruyere on sliced bread, cut diagonally, shingle in a baking dish, pour on a mixture if eggs and press pea soup with a little cream, cover and chill till absorbed. Sprinke with paprika and bake till browned and bubbly.

1 Like

Smtucker- I did try to navigate eatyourbooks but I wasn’t really sure how it worked :upside_down_face:

@Salsailsa . I see that if you don’t have an account, there isn’t much to see. However, the free membership should give you an interface that begins to make sense.

Looking across the tabs, Home is obvious. Bookshelf contains all the books, online recipes that I have added to my Bookshelf, and entire websites as selected by me. (Serious Eats, for example.)

Library is the EatYourBooks library which contains index and unindexed books, online recipe content, magazines, and lots of other content.
14 PM

As a paying member, MyBookshelf is stuff I actually own and have chosen. As a non-paying member, this would be recipes from the Entire Library which you can filter by author, name of book, and source type.

06 PM

So, I can search for something like Galangal on MY Bookshelf and see what recipes I have that use this ingredient.

If you look to the right, I can filter to only get recipes found in books, that are from Malaysia, and are an appetizer.

Paying members can leave notes about books and recipes which is really useful when you are trying to decide between three similar preparations.

Since adding EatYourBooks to my life [ages ago], I am so much better about using my own books. It has changed my life in a really positive way.

Now, if I didn’t help here, please ask more questions… happy to be clearer, if I can figure out how.

2 Likes

Bravo for your focus on food waste. I’m with you and will follow your example. I think we do a pretty good job here at Chez Auspicious but we can all do better.

1 Like

Luckily the software is smart enough to figure out you are uploading the same photos so they only store it once.

Does that solve the issue?

3 Likes

Wow~ thanks for the comprehensive explanation on how eatyourbooks works. I will have to take some more time and play around with it!

One of my worst habits is that I am a sucker for fresh bread. I end up with a lot of stale bakery bread. I know that there are uses for it- bread crumbs, pain perdu, strata but I generally just turf it.

I am currently trying to use up as many odd condiments as possible. I have a habit for trying new things on the market, not liking them so much and then throwing them in the fridge for however long.

1 Like

I’m looking to continue my string of not making us sick from my cooking. If I can just do that…

:wink:

2 Likes

Curious, you mean overeating?

6 posts were split to a new topic: Project Kimchi - home fermentation

Cooking Goal Kimchi in process -go go go!