100 Best Rated Sandwiches in the World

As long as there’s no mayo! (And mushrooms are like bacon–I like them on a burger, but they don’t coexist with mustard or ketchup.)

1 Like

Agreed… or a thousand island/Russian dressing… no mustard (this for a conventional burger - lettuce tomato onion pickle).

But if it is a chili burger the mustard is welcome and the mayo/ketchup are not.

And none of the above are welcome on a mushroom/Hawaiian/BBQ burger.

I understand not wanting mayo on one’s burger if one generally eschews the eggy condiment… but as a mayo lover I put it in many places (salad dressing being one of them, besides… ta-dah: mustard!).

Mustard for me is a pork (or chicken or fish) condiment, but not beef. Dunno why. We be weird.

Always, always cheese. Mushrooms optional but delicious. Bacon, too, but puts it over the top with richer grinds like short rib or brisket).

1 Like

I would go w/out mayo for a shroom burger, but I’m not crazy about BBQ sauce or chili (nope).

Yes on the LTOP.

3 Likes

Same with most folks I know; hence the ever-present jar of Hellmann’s in the fridge. Oddly, I am the family’s go-to deviled egg maker.

For me… fried onion rings, cheddar, bacon, and BBQ sauce is a pretty great burger (especially if you go with a less sweet sauce like Stubb’s original). And I love a good chili burger, with Tommy’s and Fatburger being the standouts. Maybe one of these is worth a try… but if not, to each their own.

Plus you didn’t mention the Hawaiian… sweet and tangy cole slaw, swiss cheese, grilled pineapple ring, and teriyaki sauce… how’s that sound?

1 Like

I always leave the two broiled slices with cheese on top as open-faced, mainly because I’ve only ever had them that way! LOL But I suppose they could be smushed together!

3 Likes

Whereas, in this part of the world, a bacon sandwich (or “butty” as the list calls it) positively requires ketchup. And, preferably, mushrooms.

3 Likes

I’d prefer the onion rings on the side, TBH, as I’m not too crazy about monster burgers that require the snake skill of unhinging one’s jaw. I have a hard enough time with a patty larger than 6oz. with the LTO to not have shit slip around or slide out.

I’m a real basic bitch when it comes to a burger: rare to medium rare, cheddar or American, shredded ice berg, raw red onion slices… come to think of it, even the pickle slice and tomato slice can add more slippage, so I also prefer a pickle spear (or 2 or 3) on the side & sub the tomato with ketchup.

ETA: ham and pineapple only on pizza or toast Hawai’i for me. It’s a good combo, but not a personal favorite.

3 Likes

Mushrooms I can see, But ketchup? Maybe it’s the weird bacon Brits eat :wink:

1 Like

Snake jaw definitely needed for some of these things. And a good onion ring is a thing of beauty; I want them isolated, so I can fully appreciate them (stuff them into my head).

4 Likes

I haven’t ordered any butties in the UK.

The colonial butty I like in TO is bacon and HP on sourdough.

2 Likes

https://www.thekitchn.com/bacon-butty-22968488

Very possibly. Although there are “brown sauce” adherents as well as “red sauce” adherents. But one or the other is pretty much a requirement.

For a reference point, I thoroughly recommend Felicity Cloake’s book “Red Sauce, Brown Sauce - A British Breakfast Odyssey”. It’s a nice comforting read. And a follow-up to her earlier cycle trip round France “One More Croissant For The Road”.

4 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

I want this.
More on it.

1 Like

Did you look at that menu? I would want to go there with more friends than I have in any one state and everyone orders something different so we all could taste like a dozen different dishes in one sitting.
I have a feeling that there are 20 or 30 really mundane items and 4 or 5 that are really good. But the only way to find out which are which is to try them all.
Considering the prices it would not be an expensive tasting…

1 Like

The definition of different strokes . . . I saw egg, mayo and squishy white bread and thought “ewww.” Then again, my mayo aversion is no secret.

2 Likes

Almost perfect for this house - but it also needs a topping of cress to make the classic. 'Tis possibly those weird eggs we Brits eat. :grinning:

8 Likes