100 Best Rated Sandwiches in the World

Another list to disagree with.
:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Fascinating.

1 Like

I found it rather repetitive. Listing different varieties of bocadillos as separate things? Eh.

2 Likes

Yup. A Grinder and Hoagie… neither of which had the right stuff.

Some overlap, but interesting. Blasphemy due to no mention of oyster etc
P.O.-Boys!

4 Likes

I think John may have done as well.

1 Like

I think John may have done better - particularly when it came to the several from Spain. Salmon? On a Spanish sandwich?

4 Likes

That was odd. The top 50 was kind of repetitive and the top 10 had a couple sandwiches that possibly deserved to maybe be in the top 50.
But I saw a lot sandwiches I want to get back to and a few that I have never heard of that I want to try. So it was a good read.

3 Likes

Agree. A top fifty would eliminate a lot of the duplication.
In KC a grinder was a hollowed out Italian roll with meatballs inside.
Hoagies and subs were the same thing.
And Runza is a commercial name to me. Bierocks are what they’re known as in the great plains, at least in my circles.
:slight_smile:

This is where I found this…

2 Likes

That was a fun read. As noted above, I’d like to try a few of those but will have to try my hand at rough duplication.

Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

Pit Beef!

2 Likes

How many have you tried @bbqboy ?
I tried 52 of the first 100 listed.

Some interesting things come up after 100 on the list view, including some things one HO makes after she gets home from the bar.

1 Like

How is Avocado Toast a “sandwich”? Open faced sandwich, I guess. But no, I’d not call Avocado Toast an actual sandwich. I’d say the same thing about Toast Skagen and a couple of other open-faced “sandwiches”.

Agree on the repetitiveness; I think I saw three Bánh mìs, just with different fillings.

3 Likes

I see avocado toast as an open-faced sandwich, in the same family as smorrebrod, bruschetta, and crostini.

There is repetitiveness for sure, but that’s how FoodAtlas rolls.

Right. I don’t consider them sandwiches though. More like things you snack on while waiting for the real meal?

2 Likes

I see Smorrebrod and avocado toast (especially avocado toast that’s topped with a poached egg- a popular brunch main around Toronto ) as a meal, bruschetta/crostini as a first course, but I get what you’re saying.

We might be getting back into Cube Rule territory. https://cuberule.com/

1 Like

One that i think definitely deserves to be in the top 100 (since variants of sandwiches are listed separately) is a DC ( NoVA really) Steak & Cheese. It is definitely a different sandwich from the Philly Cheesesteak because the S&C has lettuce and tomato and usually has mayo.
One of the first threads i read and participated in on ChowHound had several “food historians” discuss the differences between the two sandwiches and where the best examples of each were found in the past and to some extent, in the present.
I can not believe the pulled pork sandwich was not in the top 50. It may be regional but many of the others are as well.

3 Likes

Wait, wait, wait - there are 100 sandwiches on this list and no Chow Mein sandwich? This was rigged.

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

“'A gentleman does not have a ham sandwich without mustard” - Winston Churchill

4 Likes