recent manhattan chinatown bites

Thanks! I’m up to 20:00. Or I was - yesterday I tore my iliopsoas and THAT’S a delight, lemme tell you. At least the implant is fine.

Oy!

That was pretty much my reaction! Only a lot louder, and with more writhing.

1 Like

I wish you a speedy, complete recovery!

Thank you! I am much better today. Concentrating on not doing anything else to myself.

1 Like

Definitely my favorite XLB. Have not been to Nan Xiang however.

maybe dave will include Nan Xiang on the flushing crawl, kung fu is probably a little out of the way for what he has in mind…

I would have no complaints at all! Our Air BnB is very close to Kung Fu. I am sure we will stop there more than one time.

BF asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday. I said to eat dumplings in Chinatown. So here we are at New Shanghai. There’s also scallion pancakes, bamboo shoots in brown sauce (the real winner here), and Tsingtao.

Probably should have perused this thread beforehand. We enjoyed what we ordered, though we’ve had better.

4 Likes

agree or disagree, at least he’s consolidated some info :joy:

Waiting for a rice roll list :thinking:

1 Like

Banh Mi (and a bit more) wander through Manhattan Chinatown today. Didn’t make to a few planned spots, but added others so I guess it averaged out.

Saigon Viet Sandwich Deli
Banh Mi Saigon
Banh Mi Co Ut
Malaysia Beef Jerky
Golden Steamer Bakery
Wong Sun Hing Lung
Double Crispy Bakery
Street vendor CNY sweets
Deluxe
Mott St Eatery
Tai Pan Bakery

@vinouspleasure @JenKalb @DaveCook

Saigon Viet Sandwich Deli
Meatball sandwich – meatballs were delicious, no pate no mayo no maggi though I didn’t miss any of those. Good bread, light and crisp. Pickled radish and carrots on the sweet side, and they forgot the jalapenos even though we chose spicy. A great start. Most expensive of the 3 we ate. (Coffee was nice and strong, but I missed that they didn’t use condensed milk.)

Banh Mi Saigon
Roast pork sandwich – meat was delicious, and a thin slice of pate was included, no mayo but some dollops of maggi. Good bread again, crisp but maybe marginally less light than the previous. Pickled radish and carrots well-balanced, and good helping of jalapenos. This is probably the banh mi I eat most often, so it wasn’t a surprise, just deliciously familiar.

Banh Mi Co Ut
Cold cuts sandwich – good portion of a variety including pate, plus some globs of mayo, no maggi. Good bread, but closer to a baguette with its chew and thicker crust. Pickled radish and carrots balanced, no jalapenos even though we chose spicy. Largest of the 3 we ate. I’d like to try their grilled pork or meatball version, especially given the bread.

Also a selection of sweets – layered pudding, black bean stuffed pastry, more.

Malaysia Beef Jerky
Spicy sliced pork and regular ground beef.
These were tasty, but consensus was: not a patch on the real deal. But the real deal is an 18 hour flight away, so we will eat these in the meantime.

Golden Steamer Bakery
Salted egg yolk buns – slightly sweet outer, salty inner.

Wong Sun Hing Lung
Fresh tofu (which I forgot about), ho fun, ground pork cheung fun. It is rare for me to get here while it’s open, so I was very pleased.

Double Crispy Bakery
Egg tarts – HK and Macau/Portugese style both, plus plenty more and lots of CNY goodies.

Street vendor
CNY sweet tapioca or agar agar layered dessert.

Deluxe
Hot table beef cheung fun.

Mott St Eatery
Food court with a nice selection. Sanmiwago pork and yellow chive dumplings, Yan Wo Dou Bun glutinous rice and bean “dumpling” (lotus leaf parcel stuffed with sausage and more).

Tai Pan Bakery
Sponge cake, egg tarts of many persuasions, cute pastries, lots of other things I wanted but resisted.

7 Likes

Of the things I liked best (havent worked my way through all the sweets yet) I liked the bahn mi at Bahn Mi Saigon (that BBQ pork) and Saigon Viet Sandwich Deli (great meatballs) , a couple of the items from Mott Street Eatery (didnt realize this was 98 Mott, once Joy Luck Palace and one of our favorite dim sum stops back in the day), especially the spicy fried pork and yellow leek dumplings, great sauce, and lotus-leaf wrapped pyramid of sticky rice filled with tasty pork and green (mung beans) sold by a vendor in the SE corner) and the salty egg steamed bun from I think Golden Steamer? - thanks Jeff for Jim’s (resteamed) dinner tonight. Looking forward to seeing additional commentary and everyones great pictures! (woops I see some are starting to appear!)

1 Like

This was a very good sponge cake. Light, but substantial.

I was invited to dinner in the evening which I could not eat because of the amount of “lunch” consumed, but I did take my friends’ kids two very cute-looking cakes from Tai Pan which they were tickled by.

Forgot to take a pic myself, but it was these:

1 Like

thanks for organizing and posting the wonderful photos, I really loved hanging out with @Saregama @JenKalb and @DaveCook for our three hour(!) lunch. I learned some stuff:

• somehow we need to convince store owners that we want spicy food, there wasn’t a hint of heat at Ut and Saigon deli.
  • While Co Ut didn’t match the flavor bomb that embodied the other two sandwiches, I appreciated the high quality cold cuts and balance of the sandwich. I thought I’d be disappointed by the non-traditional roll but it worked well.
  • Sticky rice at dim sum is usually a pass for me but the rice ball from Yan Wo Dou Bun was a revelation, looking forward to trying their peanut rice ball.
  • The unsauced dumplings at Sanmiwago, were very crispy on a previous visit but I preferred this less crispy version with their delicious dumpling sauce, next time I might order the sauce on the side.
  • Had been to double crispy pre-pandemic, the egg tart was not very good, the portugese tart good not great. The tarts from tai pan have better crust and are fantastic reheated in the oven for 10 minutes at a low temp (this morning’s breakfy!)
  • On the malaysian beef jerky spot, I prefer their spicy ground pork but it’s really not much better than I can do at home. I wonder if other places in nyc do a better version. It would be nice to see the Singaporean chain open a shop in nyc.
  • Loved Dave’s idea to take our various purchases to the food court, and augment our meal with food and drink from various stalls.
  • to my eye, the price of a a whole soy sauce chicken has risen 50% over the last year
  • We don’t eat lunch very often but I’d love to do something like this again on a semi-regular basis.

best,

Ps forgot to say this morning my wife declared that her last meal would include a freshly steamed egg yolk bun from golden steamer.

1 Like

Reminds me how much I miss lan zhou when it was on east broadway.

1 Like

Notice how the eyes follow you around the room?

5 Likes

Jim liked his re-steamed bun too - that purchase really worked out… I agree that more frequent casual meet ups like this would be fun to do more frequently, and that The food court was a great place to settle in.
The sushi chef’s stuff looked enticing too when I ooked the place up online (altho I could do without truffles on my sushi!) https://www.domosushinyc.com/

2 Likes

Since you said this, I had to look, and turns out there is at least one other spot to be tried, something for next time.

I know right, and still I am wondering why I didn’t bring any home.

You married very well, obviously.

Jen, our favorites are the salted egg yolk buns, custard buns and pumpkin buns. They were probably out yesterday but they do have red bean buns on the menu.

Best,