What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

Have been thinking about my weekend dinners for several days, but had no idea WWFD for tonight. Until I remembered on the drive to work this morning that I had about 1/3 of a family-sized bag of Rana’s 5 cheese tortellini in the freezer.

BINGO.

Sliced up a carrot, chopped up some onion and red bell pepper, took some peas out of the freezer, and sauteed everything.

Made a sauce of President garlic and herb cheese, heavy cream, Italian herbs, a pinch of s/p and a squish of tomato paste for a Rosa (or pink) sauce.

Added the cooked tortellini to the veg, added the sauce, heated it through, plated and topped with a sprinkle of grated Parm-Reg.

Wine, and it was dinner.

26 Likes

it’s pretty much this, from serious eats:

• 3 whole jalapeño/serrano chiles, roughly chopped
  • 1 tablespoon (15ml) [ají amarillo pepper paste]
  • 1 cup (1 ounce) fresh cilantro leaves
  • 2 medium cloves garlic
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons (10ml) fresh juice from 1 lime
  • 1 teaspoon (5ml) distilled white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) extra-virgin olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

i kinda just wing the amounts. again, i think i use much less olive oil.
although I’ve read many Peruvian recipes in Spanish that actually use cottage cheese too, so i’ve made it with that too… And which i know you LOVE. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I always use way more lime juice to taste. And yeah, olive oil can be cut back.

3 Likes

The last dinner of our freezer-cleanout week. Chicken soup from scratch over German egg noodles. Homemade soup crackers.

21 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was supposed to be Baked Ziti, but I didn’t have any Ziti, so I substituted penne. Baked Penne with green beans on the side and some red wine that was a gift from a friend. A very nice relaxing and delicious meal.

22 Likes

Early dinner (& late lunch) of Beef Pad See Ew and Beef Chow Fun – had to use or lose the fresh ho fun I bought during our HO Chinatown adventure the other day.

There were more noodles than I expected in the $2 bag, so I decided to divide them and make both my favorite fat noodle dishes instead of just one.

The only applicable protein at hand was a steak that I had cooked sous vide (very rare) and frozen a while back, so that got sliced very thin and left to marinate while I prepped the rest.

The ho fun were actually sheets rather than the cut noodles I usually buy, so that was a bit more fiddly than anticipated to soften, slice, and separate them, but it all worked out in the end.

Best decision of the day was to use the non-stick pan instead of the wok – lovely char without sticking, and great flavor on both dishes.

(Broccoli on the side instead of chinese broccoli inside the pad see ew, bec turns out I forgot to buy any groceries in Chinatown amidst all the eating.)

23 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was shrimp scampi with fresh fettuccine, inspired by @Aubergine ’s post:

29 Likes

All those pasta dishes have me craving some :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face: - might be dinner at casa lingua tomorrow!

4 Likes

Got some halibut and sea bass cubes there just this afternoon!

2 Likes

Report back!

Really nice! Poached in garlic/ginger/coconut milk broth, added some sliced and lightly steamed baby bok choy, served with Jasmin rice. Tokyo Fish Market always shines!

10 Likes

I like and (loosely) follow the seriouseats recipe, which doesn’t use much oil (2 tbs)…

3 Likes

Berkeley Bowl West also has fish trim, usually salmon, sometimes mixed white fish.

1 Like

Thanks - good to know! I occasionally (more like rarely!) make a fish terrine - sort of a gefilte fish loaf - and scraps and trim are the way to go.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Weekly Menu Planning - February 2024

Looks really good!

1 Like

Oh phooey pandemic brain strikes again! Can anyone tell me how to move a post from one thread to another?..

That looks so good!

1 Like

no worries – I requested the mods

1 Like

I was quite pleased. It really depends mostly on the noodles, i think.