What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

Jajang myun to the 10th power. Nice!

9 Likes

Finally got my root canal this morning (always a good time :partying_face:), which means I can stop munching Ibuprophen like they’re M&Ms for a while. Looks like my regular dentist can see me “as soon” as early April :joy: :expressionless: :no_mouth: to deal with the temporary filling I got today, and the temporary crowns which started this whole ordeal :roll_eyes:. Then again, I’m used to having to chew on just one side for months at a time, so – as long as we get this shit sorted out before our summer in Berlin ‘s all good.

Had a rehearsal early eve for our upcoming Mardi Gras gig, for which our new lil drummer boy had to learn 14 songs. He did a fabulous job, and my PIC got 3 Detroit-style pizza πs for the band: a small garlic dill pickle, a small Big Mac, and a large triple threat (pizza sauce, pesto, vodka sauce). The Big Mac π wasn’t as good as a rendition we had in Pittsburgh, and both small crusts coulda used more kronch on the bottom. The triple threat was perfection, however. Their vodka sauce is really something :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

18 Likes

Woot, woot, sunshine today! Pounded and breaded chicken thigh fried in bacon grease. Mushroom gravy, pureed cauliflower with a butter puddle. Mixed greens salad, red onion, pickled beet, grape tomato, mushrooms, blue cheese, ranch dressing. Snapper and a martini rocks.

20 Likes

Chili with meat and black beans. Quesadilla with refries and cheddar.

24 Likes

TGFL (thank gods for leftovers) night. I added one of my favorite, easy slaw-salads on the side:

13 Likes

Dinner was… mostly lunch. A banh mi crawl in Chinatown plus grazing other things along the way ended up being a LOT of (delicious) food.

I ate some grapes later. And a bit of the sponge cake I brought home and couldn’t resist.

12 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was basa fish curry.

17 Likes

Moroccan inspired red lentil soup with celery, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, raz al hanout, cumin, coriander, chicken broth and cilantro. Served with fried onion made with jalapeño, cinnamon and lemon juice. Finished with some Greek yogurt

19 Likes

I tried ATK’s recipe for 1-hr pizza dough. Mine came out extremely wet and sticky despite following the measurements and instructions closely. I will probably use weights next time. I winder if ATK uses a specific bread flour, like King Arthur, when testing?

After adding a considerable amount of flour I had a workable dough. Just need to remember to remove the bottom parchment halfway through baking so the bottom can crisp (don’t have a pizza peel yet).

I did my own thing with sauce, cheese, and toppings. This was pineapple and ham, one of our favorites. Side salad and soft-cooked broccoli as sides.

19 Likes

It seems they’re going with 5.5 oz per cup of bread flour. I hate the oz for this as it’s an awkward measurement. Grams is 207. Then semolina is 85 g for a total of 292 g.
Liquid is 200 g of water and beer combined, so 68% hydration. It’s a bit higher than some types of pizza dough, but shouldn’t be too bad.
They do use King Arthur bread flour as far as I know.
A lot of food processor doughs ime take longer than stated times to pick up strength, especially if you’re using a different flour, so going longer can help as once the gluten is more developed the dough will be less sticky.

2 Likes

I was hoping you might weigh in. Thank you!

1 Like

How was the taste, crumb of the dough? I saw the recipe and was skeptical of a 1 hour crust. Usually if I’m in a pinch and don’t have 24h to ferment I’ll get WF dough balls but a quick recipe for home would be nice.

1 Like

I’ve had revisiting Lidia Bastianich’s Calamari Fra Diavolo on my list of dinners to make for a while and finally got to it tonight! This is super simple and had the added bonus of being delicious. I used my new Tramontina EC braiser and was delighted by how evenly it seemed to distribute and hold the heat while cooking the sauce, which helped it reduce nicely. The recipe says it serves 6, but we got two generous dinner portions and two lunch portions out of it (so, I suppose 6 if I’d been a little less generous with the portions!).

22 Likes

Another Plate of Perfection. Your pasta dishes always look SO appetizing - well, TBH everything you make looks like I wanna dive straight in :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Thank you! :blush:

1 Like

Had another late morning PT appointment that mostly involved ultrasound and laser treatment. It was rather painful, and I was so exhausted from it all that I took what may have been only the second afternoon nap of my life (!) – hey, jet-lag naps don’t count :wink:

I woke up just in time for my afternoon cuppa, and thankfully we had leftovers a-plenty for a fairly easy dinner: Peruvian chicken tacos! I removed the meat and skin from the two leftover thighs (still have a leg left) to heat/crisp up gently, and quick-pickled a nice plump shallot. My PIC made more of the green sauce, omitting any extra oil – I would def recommend cutting the oil for that recipe in half.

Sunny crunch lettuce with cukes, celery & blue cheese dressing.

16 Likes

It was fairly flat and thin, almost NY-floppy. Tender but with chew. Didn’t rise much. It beats bready homemade dough (and what I find store-bought), but I don’t know that it would impress someone who knows what they are doing with bread/pizza.

I would let it rise an hour next time.

1 Like

Prime ribeye grilled on the Big Green Egg. Caesar salad with homemade dressing and caraway-rye croutons.

For dessert: our own vanilla ice-cream with a drizzle of Frans chocolate and garden strawberries (from frozen).

A Hennessy’s for the cook.

24 Likes

Shrimp Scampi with Garlicky Miso Butter over fried cauliflower rice. Cabbage slaw, carrot, snap peas, daikon radish, goi ga dressing, furikake.

20 Likes

Another lovely dinner at friends’ (and tonight I actually ate, as opposed to last night :joy:).

We had Big Salad, as they are on a Diet, but topped with burrata in my honor :rofl:. It was quite delicious: mixed greens, some mixed nuts, freshly roasted figs on theirs, avocado on mine, and a honey vinaigrette.

Followed by spicy tortilla pizzas – fresh flour tortillas topped with vodka sauce, red onions, green pepper, jalapenos, and mozzarella. Very tasty. (I also had some steamed indian dumplings she had made earlier in the day, which I love almost as much as she does.)

I had not seen their younger kid in a while, and he has grown into the most hospitable and sweet 8yo I might ever have encountered. I am so glad I rushed to baked him a chocolate chip cookie cake for dessert even though we decided on dinner at the last minute :heart_eyes:

24 Likes