recent manhattan chinatown bites

after dim sum yesterday, stopped by tai pan bakery for a dan tat and a Portuguese tart, very good crust, custard was flaky and delicious but the dan tat lacked the egginess I usually associate with the pasty…or maybe I was just so full from dim sum that my palate lacked nuance. Likewise, the portugese tart was good but flavor didn’t measure up to their usual standard.

In flushing, I think tai pan dan tat> flushing bakery but flushing bakery portugese tart > tai pan…In any case, both bakeries are my last stops before leaving flushing.

1 Like

On I remember Tai Pan. I like it. That being said, Manhattan Chinatown does not have bad egg tart. Every stores are ranging from good to very good.

1 Like

I like this one. Harper’s Bread House. But again, everything is pretty good in Manhattan for egg tarts.

1 Like

I like harpers too, sun sai gai was also a favorite but sadly they no longer make baked goods.

Would you know if Harper’s makes their own crust from scratch?

@vinouspleasure I am a simple man. I like the fact that their Chinese name is “Egg Tart King”. Moreover, their egg tarts are indeed not bad.
@bmorecupcake Sorry. I do not know. I hope they do, but I do not have proof.

1 Like

lol, I’ve also been to double crispy and thought it pretty good. near our town in westchester there was a now defunct portuguese bakery which made pasteis de nata with a cookie crust, it was fabulous. perhaps next winter I’ll try to reproduce it in our kitchen.

I don’t know but would guess they do. next time I’m there I’ll ask.

1 Like

Oh yes, I like that place too. I used to get my egg tarts the most from Harper’s Bread and Double Crispy. I just didn’t remember that is its English name. I only remember the Chinese name is Portuguese Tart King.

1 Like

I’ve cleared as much of that window as I can.

I know that a couple of interested posters aren’t going to be around that week, but that’s okay – we can set up something for those who are here and then go from there with future gatherings. So… I’d like to do this one at a date/time that you (Dave Cook) & Saregama can definitely attend. I’m assuming that we still want to go to Wu’s – if not, let me know. So, how’s Monday 6/27 for dinner? If not, Tuesday 6/28 for either lunch or dinner works for me. As soon as we decide, it’d be great if small_h, bkeats and others who’ve expressed interest can join in. I’m pretty sure that vinouspleasure & jen kalb said they’d be away & food dabbler may be in Mass., but I might be wrong. So… let’s get this show on the road.

Monday, June 27 might be difficult for me at dinnertime. Tuesday is good for either lunch or dinner. The other Chinatown restaurant that quickly comes to mind for a gathering is Uncle Lou, on Mulberry St. (I haven’t been), but it’s closed on Tuesday. Maybe we can consider it for an encore get-together.

I would love to go, and I am around that week. It will depend on how well my new hip is doing in a few weeks - it’s five days old today!

To be clear, this is indoors, right? (Don’t worry; no judgments will be stated, but I won’t come if it’s indoors.)

Looks like Dave Cook, Saregama & I are all in for Wu’s for dinner on Tues, June 28, with small_h (fully recovered no doubt) making it 4. Its 99% that it’ll be indoors, as that’s where the round group tables are & I believe that the service, etc is much better (sorry, Pan). We’re gonna try to cap this group at 8, but I guess we could go a little higher if needed. So… start responding if you’re available & interested. It’ll be nice to do some face to face stuff.

Unfortunately, you’re right.

New thread created to organize this meal:

Please post there if you’re interested.
(fooddabbler: next time)

i’m in!

2 Likes

Best of luck! My girlfriend’s mother had both her hips replaced over 15 years ago, is in her 80s, and walks an hour every day!

Great. But you get reprimanded for responding on the wrong thread :roll_eyes:. Are you back in NYC yet?