Zhang's Grille has bitten the dust [NJ]

I want to post this separately because it is becoming a common theme as @corvette_johnny pointed out. Opening up a restaurant is a massive undertaking with an incredible amount of work. How the eff is it possible to not have a website created in the midst of all that???

And here’s another thing: someone posted in a different thread this guy created, asking when Zhang’s actually closed. The GM responded “two weeks ago”. Is it possible to turn over from one restaurant to another that quickly???

Am I the only one annoyed by the use of sporadic capitalized words?

And to answer your other question, I would say no but what the hell do I know?

3 Likes

I found their Instagram. They must have bought Zhang’s lock, stock, and barrel.

I hate the use of sporadic capitalized words. Even woRsE are tHe raNdoM capiTal leTTers i sOMetiMes seE.

5 Likes

Aren’t you going to miss being able to order Buffalo chicken wings, sushi, and Thai cuisine at the same place :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m going to miss the Caesar salad with hibachi chicken and a side of avocado grilled cheese, personally.

2 Likes

I’m more annoyed by places that insist that you have an Instagram account, or a Facebook account, or some other account, to see their web page, menu, etc.

Thanks for posting the menu. A reincarnation of Peter’s Fishery it ain’t.

2 Likes

Gordon Ramsey does it in 24 hours!!! (sure it can be done in two weeks)

3 Likes

Well that is the right way to do it. Has the interior changed? I was never at Zhang’s so is the a much better version of the space?

They have live king crabs? Holy crap…I’ve never seen that in nj before. The price must be totally ridiculous. Getting giant crabs from the bering sea to nj is not an easy task. I wonder what size tanks they have. I’m intrigued.

I will call them after work.

The legs are $38 per pound. Market price will probably be over $50. When you factor in how much weight is lost in shell and inedible pieces, yes, that is ridiculous.

looks like at the new place I can get jalapeno poppers, penne vodka, a $22 filet mignon, live king crab, a hot dog, buffalo chicken salad, chicken noodle soup, and a chocolate lava cake to end. Score. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode

4 Likes

So I called and spoke to the hostess. She didn’t really have any clue what I was talking about but she asked someone. I got 40 a pound for the live kings. I asked about the weight of the ones they had and I got “2 crabs per pound” lol

So we definitely were not on the same wavelength. Kings are going to be 6 to 8 lbs generally. So you’re looking at a 240-320 dollar crab roughly, if the pricing she gave me is correct.

So do I blow money and split a crab with my uncle or buy a wagyu steak?

1 Like

Oh my God. They even have the same plates as Zhang’s. I just saw a pic on their Instagram. It was the same, massive, square four-section plate my hibachi chicken came on.

1 Like

Here’s their pic of their snow crabs. You be the judge.

Exactly the same judging by their pictures.

Wow. I wonder if there was some kind of fire sale and he just picked this place up cheaply.

Those pics are not the best :confused:

I wonder what happened to the Korean grill tables there. I guess they probably tore those out.

1 Like

If I paid $40 and was presented with that wooden bowl with two lousy clusters and a half-assed corn on the cob, I’d get up and walk out.

Stop it, Greg. Stop it. You’re judging.

2 Likes

True but we are talking about two different species…just an fyi. The pic is snow crab. King crab are much larger and to find them live is not easy on the east coast. In fact, it is rare. They are almost always precooked and frozen. To get those things from the bering sea to Alaska and over to the other side of the country is one hell of a task!

3 Likes