Yuzuki [San Francisco, Mission]

Had a recent dinner here which my partner and I loved. We look forward to becoming regulars.

Left to right: caramelized sweet potato with black sesame seeds; house-made tofu with wasabi and soy; shiitake mushroom with miso.

Dungeness crab and wakame seaweed salad.

Pickled daikon radish.

Koshihikari rice, topped with ikura (salmon roe) and king crab. Not bad, although a touch overpriced at $28.

Rock fish and shrimp fried dumpling, with vegetables and burdock roots.

Kara-age (chicken marinated in “salt” koji and deep-fried, served with shishito peppers and lime wedge). The chicken was crispy and juicy. Was one of the better renditions I’ve had. The peppers were a nice touch.

Sea urchin chawanmushi. Delicate, briny and savory.

Izakaya Yuzuki
598 Guerrero Street (18th Street)
Mission District

3 Likes

Sounds like a delicious meal! On your next visit, get a crusted rice dish and explore some more salt koji grilled items. The sake flights are worth it too.

Despite being across from Tartine and their endless line, it’s generally easy to get into Yuzuki either as a walk-in or by making day of reservations. We tend to under order, and supplement the dinner with an ice cream sandwich from Bi-Rite Creamery (walk to the freezer, then pay at the front of the line!) or at the Friday night pop-up next to Tartine, which now serves porchetta Tartine porchetta (SF)

I’ll keep that in mind.

Yup - I had an incredible meal here last time I was in SF. Highly recommended!