Your most unusual spice

Dukkah isn’t common here in the US, I think. A restaurant in Cambridge, Mass. called Oleana is where I was introduced to the stuff.

Hmmm, been a long time since we’ve had dukkah and I do have hazelnuts…

I love when the indiv spice list is included so you can replicate.

4 Likes

I suppose “unusual” must be in the context of my national cuisine. Of course, it isnt unusual in this house - but baharat won’t be in too many British kitchen cupboards.

3 Likes

This one, also a blend, I purchased recently. On any fish, eggs, dips, salad dressing, fries and popcorn it adds a brined flavor without being overly salty.

7 Likes

I’m like a magpie when it comes to previously-unknown-to me herbs and spices, so I have a lot of 'em, and I’m not sure what makes one more “unusual” than another, except maybe for their rarity in my native US/Western cuisines, or in the US marketplace?

In that vein, I guess I’d have to go with blue fenugreek (a Georgian spice, as far as I’ve seen, not grown or used elsewhere), and maybe edible camphor? I’ve used the former, which is very similar to regular fenugreek, but has a slightly different fragrance, a little more floral maybe? (But I’m not at all sure I could tell the difference in a dish, even side-by-side). I have not (yet) used the latter, which afaik is only rarely used even in Indian cookery (only in a few sweets/desserts), but it’s not at all easy to find (here), so I grabbed some when I did come across it locally.

Maybe Tajik cumin counts too. I’d never heard of it before I saw it at a local Uzbek grocery store, but according to the Interwebz Tajikistan is famous for it in some circles. I’m pretty sure it’s the same species as regular cumin, just a localized strain (and maybe terroir-specific), and it’s used like/where regular cumin might otherwise be used, but I’d describe it almost as a cross between regular cumin and black cumin. Has a definite earthier edge to it like black cumin has, but not as overwhelming as black cumin. (I don’t know if anyone in South Asia ever uses black cumin in place of  the regular kind - the recipes I’ve seen treat them as different flavors - but I myself would not like as a one-to-one replacement for regular cumin.)

4 Likes

Here’s my Icelandic contribution. image

And US kelp. image

And my dukkah contribution. image

But I don’t have anything out of the ordinary, surprisingly, since I usually buy spices on a whim.

ETA: Don’t have time to fiddle with the photo orientation.

6 Likes

I had baharat on my list too, because it’s unusual for me to remember to use it. I use berbere a lot, but it may be just as common.

Some I have and want to use more are
Vadouvan
Sumac and
That blend with sumac…brb…Za’atar!

3 Likes

I have about 230 spice and spice blends plus 3 kinds of pepper and 12 salts. I have 5 others on order already from a small shop in Cambridge, MA. And now I have to go searching (on-line) for some of the spices I don’t already have. Is there a Spice Buyers Anonymous?

6 Likes

Kari Gosse is a curry from Brittany, formulated by and sold only in pharmacies on the Southern Coast. I know because I tried every village pharmacy on the north coast to be met with shrugs and confusion. it is, I am told, the quintessential and defining flavor of humble fish soups in that area of France.

5 Likes

Pharmacies, like where you get medicine?

Hmm. Ras al Hanout is hard to find in the US, as is Chinese 5 spice powder…but there they sit next to the herbes de Provence (because I won’t buy the travesty that Penzeys sells), a jar of juniper berries, and my beloved jar of Goya Adobo (because I put that sh*t on everything)

The Adobo is common here in Florida because of the Latin heritage here, but I think it’s an anomaly elsewhere.

2 Likes

Might be an anomaly here (N Cal), but the Mexican markets carry several kinds, and a few kinds of Sazon as well . These are the ones I keep.

How about these?

Tricky thing for me is, a few herbs go by the same name in Turkey. I believe that is Turkish oregano on the left, and pistachio powder on the right.

What do look for in Ras al Hanout?

3 Likes

Nicest thing we do with za’atar is to take a flatbread, drizzle with a little olive poil and heavily sprinkle with za’atar, then put in a hot oven for 30 seconds or so to crisp up.

Our nearby Middle Eastern shop usually stocks versions from Syria, Palestine and Jordan. If I understood the woman in the shop correctly (we got by with very poor French, as I have no Arabic and she had little English), the main difference is salt quantity, with the Jordanian having the highest ratio.

2 Likes

It presumably owes its origins to France’s colony in southern India.

1 Like

What about Mace? It doesn’t get much attention and when added to cinnamon, nutmeg or cloves adds a brightness that’s missing in warm spices blends. I use it in muffins and cinnamon rolls.

4 Likes

This oregano, sold in a grinder, utilizes the whole form small buds and when ground with each use has an incredible freshness dry oregano is not known for long term.

3 Likes

Habanero togarashi. Togarashi isn’t unusual if you have a decent Japanese or Asian market nearby, but I much prefer the habanero version. Anything with a kick is rare in Japanese cuisine, unless you count wasabi. The habanero helps a bit.

Not sure you would count this a spice, but belacan is not easy to find where I am. Love the pungent umami, shrimpy and spicy goodness.

8 Likes

That’s surprising. In Manhattan (and throughout the five boroughs, I’m sure) Adobo is available in pretty much any random bodega or supermarket. Five Spice is easy enough to find in Chinatown, and it’s also on the shelf at Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s - and that can’t be only true at my local branches.

4 Likes

We found this for sale at Lidl.

2 Likes

Not uncommon in British baking.

2 Likes