Your Latest/Favorite Digestif?

I like more than I dislike, but I don’t have a clear favorite. Yet I’m not polyglot with these. I like Chatreuse, Becherovka, and even Underberg on occasion.

What do you favor?

I like the elixir of long life chartreuse sometimes with a large spherical ice cube. I have a bottle of green VEP and a few cellar defenders, regular green. I’ve tried some older bottles and believe it does age well in the bottle too. I can also get down with some old brandy cognac Armagnac calvados etx in a snifter sometimes w Benedictine and even Sambuca with the coffee bean. If I’m feeling sweet tooth a nutty Irishman amaretto and baileys, or sometimes a Kahlua. I don’t seek out fernat or Amaros or becherovka.
Absinthe is ok time to time.

Digestion is important.

I will always have a few different amari at home to choose from (see link). Though some of these I’d rather drink as an aperitif, like Cynar (on the rocks).

Then of course things like cognac, calvados and grand marnier.

Whiskey not so much as I rather drink it before or during dinner - I like smooth blends which imho go very well with Asian (including spicy) food.

And then what’s maybe my favourite because I drink it so often after dinner: Baileys on the rocks. Light in alcohol and fresh because of the ice, good substitute for coffee if I don’t want coffee, relatively cheap and easy to purchase. And if I do want coffee I make it a carajillo (espresso shot with Baileys 50/50 ratio).

3 Likes

I like amaros, or a nice martinez.

Galliano or a tawny port.

I really, really like both absinthe and slivovitz. Discovered both in Prague.

2 Likes

And grappa of course!

5 Likes

Don’t laugh, but Jeppson’s Malort. I consider it to be medicine, and I find it helpful for digestion. If you can tolerate Fernet Branca or some of the more bitter liqueurs, you’ll be fine.

3 Likes

I’m good with the Fernets, including Branca. Just not every pour.

1 Like

We are currently back into the swing of a nice dose of Hierbas after a large meal since we brought some back from Spain on our last trip. That or this lovely Jerez Brandy we found locally….

Had this special Grand Marnier the other day, and it’s a winner…

3 Likes

that would rock in a souffle

2 Likes

3 Likes

Other than being less sweet, how does the taste (and price) differ?

Where did you find Chartreuse? The one place I’ve seen it over these many months wanted something like $75.

The Cuvee is not necessarily sweeter than the plain vanilla Grand Marnier, but it is smoother and with a more elaborate palet of flavours. The Cuvee is around 42 euro here, whereas the regular Grand Marnier costs around 25 euro.

Mind though that the regular GM is also a bonafide classic, a seriously good liquor being used in many top restaurants here in Europe including for desserts.

I got that at Wally’s in BH. prob closer to 65 dollars. It was scarce now it’s everywhere again thankfully…there, Mel and Roses (also expensive now 80), Vendome…if you’re up north i last got a bottle there at a spot called Cask on College Ave (great store btw, but prices jacked up)…good luck! The website says its available at Cask on 3d now, not College, but 80 bucks. IDK, treat yourself if you can swing it!

The VEP is also more available again, it’s closer to 160 but it’s a full liter. It’s quite good of course, and worth a splurge for special occasions/drinks. My thoughts are these are cheaper per drink still than a regular drink at a non dive bar. Wallys has that one too.

1 Like

The link you provided says the Cuvee is less sweet, which is great by me because I’ve always thought the “regular” is far too sweet.

I was wondering what–other than that–distinguishes the two tastes. If you can stretch the regular with inexpensive brandy, is there a meaningful difference?

I know you’re not in the neighborhood, but if you’re in the neighborhood you can save $7!

that’s a 375ml

seems the going rate for a full bottle 750ml is now 75 or so i’m afraid.

check out small h maybe ull like it