Your kitchen prep, how do you plan ahead?

You are passionate, admit that! The way you asked questions shows you are really interested, not just filling time.

3 Likes

Good for you. Thatā€™s actually Hartersā€™ Second Rule to a successful retirement. Retirement is a great release from the bad things about work (I was a low paid government employee - so lots of bad things). But if you can find ways to use the skills, etc that you enjoyed, albeit in probably a different way, youā€™re definitely on the road to success.

3 Likes

Thanks John and naf. My mind is at ease.

It is interesting to read how each of you approach prep in your own busy lives. Making time to share that direction in a food forum like HO demonstrates a passion in all. I donā€™t think I have ever had this level or depth of conversation about creating home prepared food and dining anywhere else let alone the food traps and helpful tips. I know my own game is much improved by it.

This holiday, I am looking forward to being a participant rather than a late to the party arriver! Armed with many suggestions provided by HO, I am going to have a blast.

Rooster

5 Likes

Whilst most of the meals over the festive period will be prepped and cooked on the day, some of my regular things are already in the freezer. The mince pies, for example. And lots of olive and anchovy biscuits that go so well with an aperitif. And the slow cooked red cabbage and cranberry thatā€™ll accompany the Boxing Day goose. Iā€™ve still to make a pork terrine - I freeze it in slices so itā€™s easy just to grab one or two for a starter, lunch or, indeed, a sandwich.

Nothing really to do for Christmas Day itself, as weā€™re going to the sister in law for dinner. Itā€™s going to be an awkward day, as the parents in law are now so frail that they are unable to leave their house to join the family party. So, weā€™re cooking them a lunch at their home.

3 Likes

What a wonderful visual, family in diff stages of life, food brings people together. You are a fortunate man.

This morning, my ritual included, tarbais beans on the stove for various later uses, prep the parts for a Chicken Murphy, proof a small loaf of no knead bread, breakfast for me and Mrs Bee. Getting the house together for the gang, last night the family and neighbors will be celebrating Hanukkah together. I promised a Rooster bonfire with marshmallows tonight.

I have your pickled onion directions on my frig. Thank you.

edit to add: to all who opened my eyes to bay leaf, my pot o beans has the fragrance going in large part to those leaves. :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you, naf. I do believe in learning, not just teaching.:wink:

1 Like

I wound up making a small amt of my own to use up spices. I just based it on the link John provided and the ingredient spice list on the pkg. Tweaking to my preference. My wife and I have gone spice buying crazy this year.

1 Like

I really enjoy your salad of the day picks on WFD. You have such an ease about it. You have also directed me to some tasty condiments this year. Thanks for that.

1 Like

Is there a thread about meat terrine making already? Another meal I have not tried.

My ā€œusualā€ terrine is a pate de campagne for which I use this recipe - https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/french/coarse-country-pate

But, last Xmas, I fancied a change and found this one in one of my ā€œgo toā€ cookbooks by Nigel Slater. Looks very festive with the inclusion of apricots and cranberry. Tasted great and Iā€™m going to do it again this year. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/dec/13/nigel-slater-pre-prepared-seasonal-dishes

1 Like

How did those work out? Inquiring minds want to know.

1 Like

I can see why, the Slater recipe looks very festive and especially moist and flavorful. The first link might be a bit too porky for my wife. Thanks for the link. Need to talk to the butcher.

Youā€™re welcome.

Have to say, Iā€™m really enjoying this thread. It seems to be what we should be about, as an online community. Many thanks for starting it.

3 Likes

Good! Especially when I remembered to salt the boiling water. Still have a bunch in the freezer.

What a great topic!

My prep has varied over the years, based on work schedule, travel, desire/inclination to cook, etc.

When I was working really long hours but wanted to eat simple home food at the end of the day. I would prep everything, portion, and freeze. Pasta sauce was frozen in single servings, ditto dal (cooked in a batch, tempered before eating so it tasted different each time), marinated chicken pieces, fish, and so on. It was probably the most efficient I have ever been in the kitchen, and possible the healthiest eating!

Nowadays my schedule is more forgiving and cooking is a hobby too, so Iā€™m less regimented about prep other than breaking down larger packages of protein. If I get a package of chicken thighs, I separate them, add different marinades or spice rubs, and freeze in individual (labeled) bags for a few varied meals to pull out later.

I do try to formulate a tentative plan for the week as @ChristinaM described, which helps me focus on fresh vegetables I need to add, and variety over the week. I rarely stick to it, but I like the forethought, and the not-staring-into-the-fridge-blankly in a pinch.

And I agree on pantry variety - I like to cook a variety of cuisines, so my cupboard is chock full of ingredients and seasonings.

Then there are freezer dives - times when I just need to clear the freezer. So Iā€™ll take inventory, then work my way through! A fridge/freezer list on my phone is helpful for this, but sometimes Iā€™m not great about keeping it current.

And sometimes thereā€™s an abundance of an ingredient, so all planning is around that. I have two small cabbage heads mocking me at the momentā€¦ and two big bulbs of fennelā€¦

I donā€™t cut up veg or fruit in bulk as my momā€™s voice is in my ear about nutrient lossā€¦

2 Likes

Interesting plan. Well laid out with plenty of flex.

We go thru alot of fruit and veg each week especially my wife. Very little if any waste. But point taken if youā€™re not big on either. Mrs Bee takes alot of pride in produce shopping.

When you first ref this I didnt realize it was an actual dish(es) you were describing. Link?

I donā€™t understand. Link to what?

See also: reā€“purposing your sisterā€™s mashed potato casserole and spinach souffle as pierogi fillings. (These are mostly just excuses to throw sour cream all over everything.)

Did I misunderstand? :blush:

I took some potatoes leftover from Thanksgiving and used them to fill pierogi. I was just continuing my tangent about turning one food (refried beans) into another food (bean soup).

1 Like